Borobudur

Thanksgiving 5-days Weekend thread | BOSS: 42.2m, Napoleon: 32.75m, Wish: 31.6m, Trolls: 25.6m, Thanksgiving: 10.9m

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

THG has definitely made quite the rebound on RT… 66% now when I think it was around 54 or something around 100 reviews. 

Critics saw that it was making money and decided to give good reviews. They are a bunch bandwagon jumpers. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Mojoguy said:

Critics saw that it was making money and decided to give good reviews. They are a bunch bandwagon jumpers. 

Yep. I am very shocked that they didn’t send Marvels rotten though after that disaster opening. Would have been very on brand for them this year. 

On 11/24/2023 at 6:53 PM, TheFlatLannister said:

It really doesn't matter if Disney is not actively engaged in a "culture-war",  because conservatives believe they are and as a result are not taking their kids to see Disney movies. 

The right wing media has done their job in turning Disney into the bad guys 

Further, consumers’ perceptions of our position on matters of public interest, including our efforts to achieve certain of our environmental and social goals, often differ widely and present risks to our reputation and brands. Consumer tastes and preferences impact, among other items, revenue from advertising sales (which are based in part on ratings for the programs in which advertisements air), affiliate fees, subscription fees, theatrical film receipts, the license of rights to other distributors, theme park admissions, hotel room charges and merchandise, food and beverage sales, sales of licensed consumer products or sales of our other consumer products and services. - https://www.sec.gov/ix?doc=/Archives/edgar/data/0001744489/000174448923000216/dis-20230930.htm

So Disney is pretty much explicitly saying this.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Do movies usually drop like that on Saturday from Black Friday?

Most movies usually see single digit percentage changes on the Saturday after Black Friday. If the $7M number is for Wish, then that's actually a pretty similar drop to what Strange World and Encanto had from their Black Fridays, although that's not great because Encanto and Strange World had Universal's Christmas animations stealing some thunder on Saturday. Wish has Trolls, but that would have been siphoning off the entire 5-day total and not just Saturday.

• Like 1

Canada likely not going to be a great comp for the domestic numbers this weekend since we don’t have a holiday so everything is playing like a “regular” weekend. But Napoleon and Wish are having very solid increases here. Hunger Games is about flat with yesterday, maybe a slight increase.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Canada likely not going to be a great comp for the domestic numbers this weekend since we don’t have a holiday so everything is playing like a “regular” weekend. But Napoleon and Wish are having very solid increases here. Hunger Games is about flat with yesterday, maybe a slight increase.

Which is good. Which means Canada is there to rescue these movies from pits. Not sure how much can Canada add to these movies. May be 500K to Napoleon/Wish?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I don’t believe Eternals 2 for a minute. Not even Paycheck woulda been that dumb. 

Wish Sat hold would be very in line with Strange World again, just like its Friday. All signs pointing to a 2x from the 5 day like that movie which is just oof. 

No joke Eternals 2 would do sub-$200M WW probably. The Marvel brand was MUCH stronger back in Nov 2021 than Nov 2023. It's insane how much damage Eternals + Multiverse of Madness + Love and Thunder + Quantumania + The Marvels did to the brand.

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Eric Bonaparte said:

Well yesterday was my birthday. Wanted to try and catch Hunger Games, but like I said, was too tired to do so. But I did play Mario Kart with my siblings. That was nice.

Happy birthday :heart:

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

And we still assume Disney cares as much about Box Office as we think they do. I mean, the amount of Tweets and comments on articles saying "I'm waiting until Disney+" makes me think about how many folks will watch both films when they hit streaming. Isn't the streaming service set to become profitable next year?

Honestly, I don't think so much people will see The Marvels in Disney+. I know there are people who wait for Disney+, but there seems to be a real lack of interest on that movie.

It was expected Disney+ will be profitable in 2024. Will this be achieved? Maybe.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Are people ignoring that it was the most watched Marvel project of 2022 on Disney+?

If that film is genuinely getting made, it means Disney truly isn't as Box Office obsessed as folks assume they are.

The thing is movies don't tend to be so important for streaming (shows are a lot more important to retain audience). Not to mention that Eternals wasn't even the most popular movie in Disney+ in 2022 according to that report (it was number nine).

It isn't even sure that an Eternal sequel will make the same numbers on Disney+ Frozen 2 numbers in Disney+ aren't close to the first Frozen.

That's why it would be weird that Disney makes a sequel for Eternal due to popularity in Disney+.

Honestly, I think Harry Stiles and a change of direction could be a more likely reason for a sequel.

Edited by Kon

32 minutes ago, Kon said:

It was expected Disney+ will be profitable in 2024. Will this be achieved? Maybe.

That's a trick of accounting speak. Disney said Disney+ will be "operationally profitable" which means just the incoming revenue versus outgoing payments. The debt load is not included in that calculation. 

Same with Max at WB. Operational profitability not counting debt load 

• Like 5