Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Est. Renaissance $21M, TBOSS $14.5M, Godzilla -1.0 $11.03M, Trolls 3 $7.60M, Wish $7.41M, Napoleon $7.13M, Animal $6.14M, The Shift $4.36M &The Marvels $2.51M

1 hour ago, poweranimals said:

After seeing so much buzz for Godzilla this weekend, I expected more than $11 million.

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

Its only the second highest* OW for a live action, non-English language film in domestic box office history

And as far as I can tell, the second highest weekend of any such film in any week of release*. There really seems to be a glass ceiling of ~$10M that only mid-2000s Jet Li action flicks or films with big previews (relatively speaking) can top

*assuming - a big if these days - that Mojo data is complete and accurate

• Like 5

2 hours ago, poweranimals said:

After seeing so much buzz for Godzilla this weekend, I expected more than $11 million.

10m less than the biggest early December opening movie in 20 years sounds good to me.

Also i'm on another site that watches BO; quite a few people didn't even know this was a thing, let alone it being wide enough where they could easily see it. I know I didn't until Thursday.

Edited by Morieris

53 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The mesmerizing action is how Crouching Tiger was huge DOM.

I was going to mention this in conjunction with the fact that people were recently enamored with The Matrix, which had similar extensive wire work that Crouching Tiger also displayed, so it gave audiences more of that kind of action, along with rave reviews and awards buzz (which provided more of a boost back in 2000 than they do today).

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, M37 said:

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

Its only the second highest* OW for a live action, non-English language film in domestic box office history

And as far as I can tell, the second highest weekend of any such film in any week of release*. There really seems to be a glass ceiling of ~$10M that only mid-2000s Jet Li action flicks or films with big previews (relatively speaking) can top

*assuming - a big if these days - that Mojo data is complete and accurate

The super specific criteria ☠️

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, misterpepp said:

I was going to mention this in conjunction with the fact that people were recently enamored with The Matrix, which had similar extensive wire work that Crouching Tiger also displayed, so it gave audiences more of that kind of action, along with rave reviews and awards buzz (which provided more of a boost back in 2000 than they do today).

That is because it is the same Action Choreographer - Yuen Woo Ping, Donnie Yen's mentor.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Morieris said:

10m less than the biggest early December opening movie in 20 years sounds good to me.

Also i'm on another site that watches BO; quite a few people didn't even know this was a thing, let alone it being wide enough where they could easily see it. I know I didn't until Thursday.

First of all, studios don't historically release films the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Second, in the past 20 years, there have been plenty of films that made more than Renaissance during the first weekend of December.

This is such a weird goalpost.

2 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

First of all, studios don't historically release films the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Second, in the past 20 years, there have been plenty of films that made more than Renaissance during the first weekend of December.

This is such a weird goalpost.

Tell it to THR;  I read their article took it from them;

Beyoncé’s new concert film delivered the goods at the North American box office, where it sang to the biggest opening at the early December box office in two decades.

• Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Tell it to THR;  I read their article took it from them;

These publications... 

I would have gone with a better factoid. It's the first year since 2015 that three films have made over $10 million on the first weekend after Thanksgiving.

But that factoid doesn't put the focus on Beyoncé.

43 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

The super specific criteria ☠️

It’s basically foreign films (non-English speaking, so anything subtitled), excluding anime, which has a built-in fanbase (especially for the titles which get a US release). Really not that specific 

2 hours ago, M37 said:

It’s basically foreign films (non-English speaking, so anything subtitled), excluding anime, which has a built-in fanbase (especially for the titles which get a US release). Really not that specific 

Or you can just say films not in English since nearly all anime movies released DOM have a dub. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, poweranimals said:

Now we understand just how much the inertia here in NA for non-English titles, especially if they are not on award radar.

3 hours ago, Sckathian said:

Did fans just front load this one after the original film built a cult following or are we seeing wider WOM with GA.

I've seen another 3 people convinced to see it. I'd be surprised if it didn't chart higher than Poor Things or Heron.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, filmlover said:

Some lady on the way out of my showing during the week claimed it was the worst movie she ever saw (cue the "sure Jan" meme). It's a movie that, regardless of whether you like it or not, will surely stick with you.

Speaking of which, can we get an RTM thread for it please mods? Thanks.

I already kick Saltburn out from my best picture prediction list long ago but if the movie prove to have a leggy run at the box office and really garner some passionate love from a segment of moviegoers, I won't rule out some coming back story at the Oscar.

25 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I already kick Saltburn out from my best picture prediction list long ago but if the movie prove to have a leggy run at the box office and really garner some passionate love from a segment of moviegoers, I won't rule out some coming back story at the Oscar.

Amazon just announced it'll be available on Prime December 22 so with grosses being low enough already and over half-dozen releases that weekend its theatrical run will be pretty much over soon.

42 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Amazon just announced it'll be available on Prime December 22 so with grosses being low enough already and over half-dozen releases that weekend its theatrical run will be pretty much over soon.

Seem like there won't be any PVOD window. The movie will go straight to streaming. Apple+ adopts different strategy. KoTFM going PVOD starting Tuesday Dec 5, 7 weekends after initial release.

Hope Saltburn to at least passes 10m. At one point I thought PYW, a pandemic release will beat Saltburn in total. That would be awful and terrible news for specialty market.