Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | The Boy and The Heron $12.97M, Godzilla -1.0 $8.59M

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Adding the holdovers like wish and trolls 3. This season is definitely musical overloads. You can even throw HG:BOSS into the mix since that movie unexpectedly feature many songs. 

Aquaman 2 is basically the only non-musical 

(as far as we know …)

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

tbh I doubt any of this summer's movies would've seen their grosses improve had they moved to the holidays, they just would've started with lower openings.

Remember when we had that crunch of dad movies releasing on top of each other this summer? I would’ve moved one of them here. Probably either Mission Impossible (which has performed in this corridor in the past) or Indy 5. It probably wouldn’t be a game changer for either of those film’s box office but they would have done a little better since there’s nothing for that audience this December. Plus it would make this end of the year stretch much less anemic. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

For reference, this is how -1 will perform if it follows last weekends drops:

Fri: 2,2M
Sat: 3,13M (+42,3%)

Sun: 2,48M (-20,8%)

2nd weekend: 7,81M

In week 2, Saturday should see a bigger jump, but Sun a weaker hold. Still gets to about the same place, just shy of, or pushing up to, $8M

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2023/12/box-office-boy-and-the-heron-beyonce-renaissance-1235658395/

The top 10:

1.) Boy and the Heron (GKIDS) 2205 theaters Fri $5.56M, 3-day $10.7M-$12M/Wk 1

2.) Hunger Games: Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes (LG) 3,665 (-26) theaters Fri $2.7M (-34%) 3-day $9.4M (-33%) /Total $135.7M /Wk 4

3.) Godzilla Minus One (Toho) 2,540 (+232) theaters, Fri $2.25M (-52%) 3-day $7.9M (-31%) /Total $24.9M /Wk 2

4.) Trolls Band Together 3,451 (-165) theaters Fri $1.35M (-20%) 3-day $6.2M (-21%) Total $83M/Wk 4

5.) Renaissance: A Film by Beyonce (AMC) 2,542 (+3) theaters, Fri $1.6M (-86%) 3-day $5.6M (-74%)Tottal $28.6M/Wk 2

6.) Wish (Dis) 3,410 (-490) theaters, Fri $1.16M (-28%) 3 day $5.4M (-29%), Total $49.5M/Wk 3

7.) Napoleon (App/Sony) 3,350 (-150) theaters, Fri $1.175M (-44%) 3-day $4.1M (-43%), Total $53M/Wk 3

8.) Animal (Cine) 622 (-69) Theaters, Fri $740K (-74%) 3-day $2.66M (-59%), Total $11.9M/Wk 2

9.) Waitress (BST) 1,214 theaters, Fri $763K 3-day $2.4M/Total $3M/Wk 1

10.) The Shift (Angel) 2,415 theaters, Fri $610K (-65%) 3-day $2.2M (-49%), Total $8.5M/Wk 2

4 minutes ago, Eric Wonka said:

Pro-shot. Fathom event for a limited time, but that might change with how well it's doing.

I saw this because I'm a big fan of Bareilles and The Blessed Unrest. It was pretty good. I used to watch more Broadway stuff a few years ago so it took me a little bit to adjust to the nature of the performances.

Godzilla -1 is fucking. 

Wonka about to make all these holdhovers crash next weekend. Still can't believe Trolls 3 or Wish will reach 100M. Atrocious for movie theaters. 

Awful run for Napoleon as well. THG is the only bright spot of November.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Godzilla -1 is fucking. 

Wonka about to make all these holdhovers crash next weekend. Still can't believe Trolls 3 or Wish will reach 100M. Atrocious for movie theaters. 

Awful run for Napoleon as well. THG is the only bright spot of November.

Wonka wont crush mah boi Godzilla. 

I do think Godzilla is being held back a bit by limited capacity. It’s down to a single screen at most locations (after pulling PLF), and the industry didn’t seem to anticipate a good hold, relegating it to smaller auditoriums amongst the clutter of films this week

(at least from my spot checking & anecdotal experience that show(s) I wanted to watch this afternoon are already down to limited seating well in advance of showtime)

3 minutes ago, M37 said:

I do think Godzilla is being held back a bit by limited capacity. It’s down to a single screen at most locations (after pulling PLF), and the industry didn’t seem to anticipate a good hold, relegating it to smaller auditoriums amongst the clutter of films this week

(at least from my spot checking & anecdotal experience that show(s) I wanted to watch this afternoon are already down to limited seating well in advance of showtime)

It is pathetic to see a movie running to capacity limit when the whole weekend is aggregating to just 60-65m. No movie should face any capacity constraint when the market is doing sub-100m over the weekend.

• Like 5