Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | The Boy and The Heron $12.97M, Godzilla -1.0 $8.59M

8 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Just out of curiosity, not that it will happen this week but when was the last time (if ever) two non-English language films were #1 and 2 at the domestic box office?

First we have to know the last time a non English language movie was #1 and it was back in 2004 when Hero was #1 for two weekends.

I believe Hero still remains the last overseas-produced foreign language movie to top the weekend box office with no dub option available (although I believe one was eventually made for the home video release).

As mentioned, if we're counting foreign language titles that had both sub and dub versions simultaneously released, then Demon Slayer and Dragon Ball must count.

Edited by misterpepp
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Updated

Hayao Miyazaki‘s The Boy and the Heron, as expected, will lead all movies with an anticipated $10.7M opening after a $5.4M Friday at 2,205 theaters, which includes $2.39M previews.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JustWatching said:

Deadline with the early results, fwiw.

https://deadline.com/2023/12/box-office-boy-and-the-heron-beyonce-renaissance-1235658395/

Heron Friday 5.4m, BOSS 2.5m, -1 1.8m

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Updated

Hayao Miyazaki‘s The Boy and the Heron, as expected, will lead all movies with an anticipated $10.7M opening after a $5.4M Friday at 2,205 theaters, which includes $2.39M previews.

Miyazaki Fans Assemble!

:ohmygod:

• Like 2

Just now, titanic2187 said:

Will cinemascore do a poll on heron? The verified score on RT was high at 90%.

They should per their criteria - "Movies that open in less than 1,500 screens are not automatically polled or reported on social media or on the CinemaScore website. If a film opens in less than 1,500 screens, CinemaScore either doesn't poll the film at all or may be contracted privately (by the film’s studio or producers) to conduct a survey. These private CinemaScore surveys use exactly the same methodology as public surveys, the only difference being that results are proprietary to the studio or producers. CinemaScore does not report private survey results unless the contracting party wishes to have CinemaScore disclose the scores to the public."

The Boy and The Heron - 2,205 Theatres

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Will cinemascore do a poll on heron? The verified score on RT was high at 90%.

This film is not for everyone so don't expect a good cinemascore.

However, among the films which are divisive, this one seems to have a good rewatchable value. So hopefully, it can leg out....

7 hours ago, Eric Wonka said:

I agree. I also kind of like it in these instances where it's going towards one that's more obscure than the other options. Like Heron is practically locked to win Animated Feature and is in consideration for Best Picture and Best Score. It's already going to be fine in terms of awards love and attention, and a lot of people know what Ghibli is. Godzilla is also Godzilla and is already making tons of money. But for Perfect Days, I had no idea it existed, but I'm glad I know there's a new Wim Wenders movie coming and a potential nomination might mean it comes to my local arthouse. So three great films are all getting recognition and attention in their own way.

I agree with the general sentiment expressed here, but I don't know about Heron being "locked to win Animated Feature" when Spider-Verse exists, the sequel to one of two non-Disney or Pixar movies to win Best Picture in the last like 10 years.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

I guess we can see who is winning "Best Visual Effects" at the 2024 Oscars (⁠゜⁠o⁠゜⁠;

Haven't seen Minus One, but how does it compare to The Creator? I left that movie convinced it just had to win Best Visual Effects at this year's Oscars

• Like 1