TMP

The Wolf Man | Universal | January 17, 2025

Months after Universal successfully relaunched its monster universe with Elisabeth Moss’s “The Invisible Man,” the studio is pushing ahead for “Wolfman” — which is being developed as a starring vehicle for Ryan Gosling — to be the next movie based on its catalog of iconic creatures.

Sources tell Variety that executives at Universal have been meeting with directors over the past month and could be making a decision soon on who will take the reins behind the camera. While there is no frontrunner at the time, Cory Finley, who recently received rave reviews for directing HBO’s drama “Bad Education with Hugh Jackman and Allison Janney, is said to be in the mix for the job.

It’s unknown what the new take on “Wolfman” will look like, though it is believed to be set in present times and in the vein of Jake Gyllenhaal’s thriller “Nightcrawler,” with an obvious supernatural twist.

Edited by TMP
  • Like 4

On 5/29/2020 at 9:27 PM, WittyUsername said:

So, it’s going to be Blumhouse, right? Universal wouldn’t actually consider making this a big budget action movie, would they?

Actually, I love the idea of going the pure horror route rather then the big budget action route. That was always a better fit for the Universal Monsters.

ANyway, they have to  have that Wolfman Rhyme. Will not be a Wolfman movie without that.

Edited by dudalb

18 hours ago, dudalb said:

Actually, I love the idea of going the pure horror route rather then the big budget action route. That was always a better fit for the Universal Monsters.

ANyway, they have to  have that Wolfman Rhyme. Will not be a Wolfman movie without that.

That’s what I was saying. Universal would have to be idiots to try and go with another big action movie with these characters. The Invisible Man movie with Elisabeth Moss did really well, and should be proof enough that these movies work much better as horror films with low to modest budgets, rather than big action spectacles that are part of a cinematic universe.

• Like 1

Modestly budgeted horror movie is the way to go. Gosling isn't a draw (La La Land was a hit due to crazy buzz and great release date) and werewolves have never been as popular as vampires so this will be a hit only if they keep the budget in check. 

Is there a plan for Universal Monsters team up movie down the line or they are just making one-and-done's? Also, what other characters can we expect? I'm not fmailiar with 

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Modestly budgeted horror movie is the way to go. Gosling isn't a draw (La La Land was a hit due to crazy buzz and great release date) and werewolves have never been as popular as vampires so this will be a hit only if they keep the budget in check. 

Is there a plan for Universal Monsters team up movie down the line or they are just making one-and-done's? Also, what other characters can we expect? I'm not fmailiar with 

Team up movies would be pretty stupid at this point. 

The Mummy 2017 made over $400 million worldwide with everything going against it: terrible reviews, negative media coverage, and opening on Wonder Woman's second weekend. In a different scenario it could have been a big hit for Universal. So I don't think the idea of an action film franchise out of the Monsters IP is stupid. But a low budget horror franchise is much more interesting to me personally, so I'm glad they're going the Blumhouse way.

12 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Team up movies would be pretty stupid at this point. 

Although the Universal Monsters begun with Dracula in 1930, you did not have a team up until
Frankenstein vs the Wolfman in 1943.