JustWatching

Weekdays Thread 1/2 - 1/4

54 minutes ago, baumer said:

Why don't you see it first before making silly comments like this? 

"Anyone But You" isn't so horny as some people seem to believe.

It's a R movie but that qualification seems a little exagerated.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vafrow said:

Before we all get too excited, around this time last year, people were predicting 2023 to be the year of Jonathan Majors.

Here's hoping that Glen Powell is a normal chill dude and not a raging abusive maniac.

Go Crazy Wtf GIF

• Haha 4

33 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

It was the year of Jonathan Majors, it just wasn't a GOOD year...

“There’s no such thing as bad publicity” is one adage that died a swift, merciless death in the internet era 

• Like 4
  • Disbelief 1

The Marvels finishing with a lower multi than all time CBM front loaders like Elektra, Jonah Hex, Morbius, BvS, Flash, and Shazam 2 is insane. Are there any others lower than 1.85x? 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

The Marvels finishing with a lower multi than all time CBM front loaders like Elektra, Jonah Hex, Morbius, BvS, Flash, and Shazam 2 is insane. Are there any others lower than 1.85x? 

Easily mother of all bombs. It happened during a season where we have yet to see a 200m grosser(its going to happen with Wonka but that is well after Marvels run). Looking at equity that MCU built, I dont think there has been a bigger BO Bomb ever. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Easily mother of all bombs. It happened during a season where we have yet to see a 200m grosser(its going to happen with Wonka but that is well after Marvels run). Looking at equity that MCU built, I dont think there has been a bigger BO Bomb ever. 

I mean yeah, it dropped nearly $1b WW in gross from its predecessor. Despite said gross being just north of a bil. It goes without saying at this point there’s never been anything like it. I think Mufasa could have rivaled it, but that’s out the window with the Xmas release. Though TLK was so high, the possibility is still there for Mufasa to be the first to lose a full bil. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Well there was the remake of Hellboy from 2019. That one has a multi a bit lower with 1.82x.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Grand Cine said:

What a hold again for ABY , I saw on BOM for a stat , if ABY increase next weekend which is possible at this point , it will be the first time ever for a movie (opening with more than 2000 theaters) to increase on 2nd and 3rd Weekend

Is this ABY , after TCP, can double Aquaman 2 and be in the top 3 this weekend.

Wonka has the same decrease than Jumanji 2 (-32%) , Ferdinand (-33%) , a little higher than Coco (-28%) , i think he will make a 30% drop this weekend and a 15,5M-16M a little better than expecting

I was looking over the list on BOM as well to see if there were any possibly comparable films, and found one that fits surprisingly well: P.S. I Love You. Opened on the pre-Xmas weekend to $6.5M, had a 40%+ increase in its second weekend, and some wild weekday holds en route to a 15% third weekend drop. It did drop off pretty quickly after that, but that was also a significantly more crowded market (both in general and especially in direct competition), and Anyone But You is already $2.6M ahead of it at the same point, so it should comfortably finish above that movie's $53.7M domestic total (not sure it'll reach the $155.8M worldwide total though, damn what a wild overseas success that was). 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I mean yeah, it dropped nearly $1b WW in gross from its predecessor. Despite said gross being just north of a bil. It goes without saying at this point there’s never been anything like it. I think Mufasa could have rivaled it, but that’s out the window with the Xmas release. Though TLK was so high, the possibility is still there for Mufasa to be the first to lose a full bil. 

It showed the Captain Marvel movie was just endgame hype.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Torontofan said:

It showed the Captain Marvel movie was just endgame hype.

Did some people actually think Captain Marvel was a good movie that deserved a sequel before Marvels released? It was always obviously just Endgame setup.

20 minutes ago, JustWatching said:

Thursday…

- (1) Wonka Warner Bros. $2,700,000 -14% -66% 4,051 $667 $150,221,147 21
- (3) Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom Warner Bros. $1,900,000 -15% -67% 3,787 $502 $89,410,753 14
- (6) The Color Purple Warner Bros. $820,000 -10% -75% 3,203 $256 $49,855,028 11

Wow, under 900K for the Color Purple in Thursday. The box office for this movie is really falling.

We can just hope the weekend will be better.

Edited by Kon

14 minutes ago, JustWatching said:

Thursday…

- (1) Wonka Warner Bros. $2,700,000 -14% -66% 4,051 $667 $150,221,147 21
- (3) Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom Warner Bros. $1,900,000 -15% -67% 3,787 $502 $89,410,753 14
- (6) The Color Purple Warner Bros. $820,000 -10% -75% 3,203 $256 $49,855,028 11

The Drop for the first two movies are within the average of what was done six years ago.

Comparaison :

Jumanji (-13%) , Ferdinand (-13%), PP3 (-15%), SW8 (-17%)

If I remove Insidious 4 : the trajectory 6 years ago

Friday (+73%)

Saturday (+45%)

Sunday (+35%)

so Update of my weekend prediction :

Wonka : 16M

Aquaman 2 : 10,5M

TCP : 5M

• Like 2