filmlover

96th Annual Academy Awards nominations thread

5 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Let what go? All she did was send one tweet.

Admittedly the hashtag is kinda cringe and implies she's engagement farming.

She will play out her Presidential loss in the public sphere until the end of her life, it seems...  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eric George said:

:hahaha: This is gold. This is art. This is incredible.

Well when Hillary Clinton enters an discussion, maybe it’s time for people to finally accept that liberal feminism isn’t something we should support blindly 

This also sums up this entire performative outrage, it’s cruel and white.

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Eric George said:

Legend. Seeing American Fiction (and Godzilla Minus One, finally) this weekend but I'm so happy that he's finally an Oscar nominee after giving consistently great work in both mainstream and arthouse movies for so long.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, CloneWars said:

I think Williams over Joe Hisashi is the biggest upset. Literally, Williams is rehashing the old Indy score and Hisashi gives us an incredible score, perhaps his best since Princess Mononoke. Why the fuck is Williams nominated for like the 100th time or whatever it is.

Barbie missing BD is to be expected. 

It is sad to see despite just strong both heron and ATSV perform in the box office, precursors and guilds, the academy members just tell him to fuck off and stay where they are in their own category, best animated feature. Nothing more.

• Thanks 1

I do wonder if Hisaishi was just never a serious consideration. He'd never been nominated before and given how prone score is to reputation voting, I doubt most of the voters even gave the score a listen. I think he'll have more clout next time he's in the hunt though.

Edited by AniNate

Some can say that the Barbie snubs are just consequential of too much competition/not a big deal all they want, but this is definitely a thing all over the internet (and yes some of it is TOO over the top). 

Definitely feels like a mainstream backlash, not just a Twitter thing or something. Ive also seen friends pissed off on my socials feeds, ironically mostly people who I never see comment on the Oscars. 

Also that score cat is just utter garbage. I can’t get over how bad it is, and if the GA actually cared about that category, there should be a much deserved huge backlash over that. 

Edited by MovieMan89

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I do wonder if Hisaishi was just never a serious consideration. He'd never been nominated before and given how prone score is to reputation voting, I doubt most of the voters even gave the score a listen. I think he'll have more clout next time he's in the hunt though.

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if Thomas Newman for Elemental was probably a lot closer to the nod because he'd been nominated like 15 times before. the music branch is one of the most clique-y.

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if Thomas Newman for Elemental was probably a lot closer to the nod because he'd been nominated like 15 times before. the music branch is one of the most clique-y.

I do think that is the better score 👀

• Knock It Off 1

Big thing I hate about "precursor season" is how it sets up certain expectations that people lose their minds about when the Oscars don't meet. Every critical body has their own preferences and biases. 

On a side note, people have really lost sight of what the intent of the "Knock It Off" reaction was supposed to be.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 2

15 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Hey now, let's not talk about snubbing Nolan. He got screwed pretty bad for almost 20 years with zero nominations in the Director category. Even though it's trending a more positive way for him this year, I still expect the Academy to pull the rug out from under him at the last minute. Lol

I'll say for Gerwig, at least she got nominated with Lady Bird. She was only 34 at the time. Pretty amazing honor at a young age. She & her husband very well might win the Adapted Screenplay Oscar, which is an awesome deal for any movie...but especially for a summer blockbuster instead of one of the artsy fartsy type of movies. 

That all ties into this. They ignored Nolan when he made movies they don’t deem as award worthy genres. Their blatant biases are ridiculous at this point and they keep clinging to them. I hope the ratings go down in flames when they maybe could’ve attracted a modern ratings high this year if they weren’t stubborn dinosaurs.