filmlover

96th Annual Academy Awards nominations thread

Actress is the only acting category that isn't a done deal now. Just mentioned it in the SAG thread but Stone being a recent Oscar winner (in the same category, no less) might be the key to a Gladstone triumph. And I'm actually rooting for it because Lily is wonderful (and wonderful in the movie), her potential win making history, and it would arguably give her a bigger career boost than a second trophy for Emma would so soon.

10 hours ago, filmlover said:

Actress is the only acting category that isn't a done deal now. Just mentioned it in the SAG thread but Stone being a recent Oscar winner (in the same category, no less) might be the key to a Gladstone triumph. And I'm actually rooting for it because Lily is wonderful (and wonderful in the movie), her potential win making history, and it would arguably give her a bigger career boost than a second trophy for Emma would so soon.

Gladstone is the only way to honor KOTFM in this year's ceremony. The movie is definitely well liked but Oppenheimer sweeping leaves no other avenue to award the movie, that combined with Stone already having an Oscar makes it easier to vote for Gladstone in a 50/50 scenario.

10 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Oppenheimer futher solditify its best Picture status despite not wining screenplay. All the likely screnplay winner won’t touch oppenheimer this year. 

Nomination in Screenplay should be enough and SAG Ensemble win is what it needed more IMO. Upsets tend to come from movies that have strong support from actors, the biggest voting block. That barrier is now removed. 

18 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Nomination in Screenplay should be enough and SAG Ensemble win is what it needed more IMO. Upsets tend to come from movies that have strong support from actors, the biggest voting block. That barrier is now removed. 

Nah, I still can't stomach the idea of SAG being this important when all the upset in the past like Parasite, Moonlight, Green Book, Spotlight, all surge in the screenplay category before the momentum clearly formed. Like some past winner like Braveheart, SM, LOTR3, Parasite , the entire cast was ignored in all four acting categories but still went ahead and won. Whereas if a best picture nominee isn't nominated in screenplay, their chance to win is nearly zero. The last one achieved this feat was Titanic 26 years ago, but at the same time, the acting branch can ignore you for all 20 acting slots but there are still 4 examples winner in the past 30 years. So screenplay branch is definitely more important than acting branch.     

42 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Gladstone is the only way to honor KOTFM in this year's ceremony. The movie is definitely well liked but Oppenheimer sweeping leaves no other avenue to award the movie, that combined with Stone already having an Oscar makes it easier to vote for Gladstone in a 50/50 scenario.

Last year kind of put the kibosh on the notion of "every Best Picture nominee must win something" since half the nominees took home nothing but this year might see a return of that. Flower Moon with Actress, Holdovers with Supporting Actress, Poor Things can take a home a tech or two, American Fiction and Anatomy of a Fall with the Screenplay categories, Maestro maybe Makeup (that or nothing at this point)? Original Song secures at least one win for Barbie since its momentum seems to have died everywhere else.

Edited by filmlover

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Nah, I still can't stomach the idea of SAG being this important when all the upset in the past like Parasite, Moonlight, Green Book, Spotlight, all surge in the screenplay category before the momentum clearly formed. Like some past winner like Braveheart, SM, LOTR3, Parasite , the entire cast was ignored in all four acting categories but still went ahead and won. Whereas if a best picture nominee isn't nominated in screenplay, their chance to win is nearly zero. The last one achieved this feat was Titanic 26 years ago, but at the same time, the acting branch can ignore you for all 20 acting slots but there are still 4 examples winner in the past 30 years. So screenplay branch is definitely more important than acting branch.     

No point looking back at LOTR cause it didn't win on the preferential ballot. Also, no case is the same. Just because there were upsets it doesn't mean they are a norm. Oppenheimer needed SAG win and it got it. That hurt potential script winners American Fiction and Barbie. 

Definitely re-opens the actress race here. I think Stone is brilliant in Poor Things but Gladstone is also great in KOTFM so a very worthy winner regardless. Considering Stone already has an Oscar and will probably have many more chances in the future I'd be inclined to root for her but I'm too much of a Stone fan for that 😛

I'm as much a Stone stan as anyone and will be first to admit she definitely doesn't need another Oscar this soon. I'm not surprised she might be shaping up to be the Blanchett (the immediate alternative to Yeoh last year) of this season.

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'm as much a Stone stan as anyone and will be first to admit she definitely doesn't need another Oscar this soon. I'm not surprised she might be shaping up to be the Blanchett (the immediate alternative to Yeoh last year) of this season.

Between two Stones, Emma's my favourite but I agree, she really doesn't need another Oscar win.

This will be the week the details about the ceremony (presenters, performers, etc.) will come pouring in. The Daily Mail got word the other day that Gosling in fact will be performing "I'm Just Ken" but no one else has confirmed it yet. Mark Ronson a few weeks ago said it was "Ryan or no one" so...

Ryan Gosling WILL perform I'm Just Ken live at Oscars next month following Barbie nomination snubs controversy, source reveals | Daily Mail Online

22 hours ago, filmlover said:

The only different is Yeoh has a amazing career behind her. Last year her campaign was not just about "first Asian best actress", it was also about celebration of her shockingly underappreciated filmography, ranging from action flick with Jackie Chan, Bond girls, Oscar-wining films like CTHD and MoG. Something that Gladstone doesn't have to further elevate her campaign.