Eric Prime

Box Office Theory Forum’s Top 100 Disney Movies

Lady and the Tramp

885 points, 18 lists

"There's a great big hunk of world down there, with no fence around it. Where two dogs can find adventure and excitement."

Lady-and-the-Tramp-Vintage-Movie-Poster-

Box Office: 187M

Rotten Tomatoes: 93%

Metacritic: 78

Awards: 1 BAFTA Award nomination, 1 David Di Donatello Award

Roger Ebert's Review: N/A

Its Legacy: Exemplified Walt Disney's Marceline, Missouri childhood. The famed spaghetti scene became one of the greatest scenes in movie romance history. The first animated Disney film to release in Cinemascope and widescreen. #95 on AFI's Top 100 Passions. Appeared in Time Magazine's Top 25 Animated Films list in 2011. Earned a comic strip that lasted from 1955 to 1988. Influenced the design of Disneyland. Earned a direct-to-video sequel in 2001. Earned a live-action remake in 2019. Gave Peggy Lee a paycheck.

Commentary: I’m probably going to get a stern talking to from our resident Beauty and the Beast fanboy @Cap over this, but this film? This has the greatest, strongest, most beautiful romance in any Disney film. It’s a romance story so smartly crafted, so beautifully told, so ahead of its time, that it arguably influenced almost every Disney romance that has come after it.

It’s a very easy premise once you get down to it. A pampered, upper-class socialite dog meets a street-smart, impoverished mongrel. They seem to have nothing in common, but fate results in the two working together, falling in love, and learning from one another. It’s a film that shows how love is all about communication, and that proper love and a healthy relationship can happen even with polar opposites. And if anything, love results in stronger self-actualization and both parties learning more about themselves and each other, taking the qualities and values of both.

It’s a very realistic take on love. The two don’t fall in love at first sight. Rather, the two go on a series of dates, where their friendship grows into love and they learn more about each other. Through this fun, heartfelt, highly romantic look at 1910s Americana, both Lady and Tramp learn and grow and discover more about themselves and each other all throughout the film. Lady, a naive, insecure woman who is confused and lost when she’s not the center of attention like she used to be, learns from Tramp how to be independent. How to live life away from the controlled lifestyle she was used to. How to stand up for herself when she is being taken down by others. How to grow and develop yourself emotionally and be self-reliant.

Tramp meanwhile learns from Lady that the single life isn’t the greatest. There’s comfort in having a family who loves you. There’s joy in having that person you care about in your life all the time. It’s okay to settle down. And in fact, a careless lifestyle can have dire consequences for other people around you. It’s a film that shows what romance really is. It’s about compromise, it’s about learning from mistakes, it’s about being with somebody who will give you a greater understanding of the world. Somebody who can give you values you never thought you needed, while also giving back to them with your own values in the process. And it’s all shown in a lively, beautifully animated story that is wonderfully down to earth and realistic.

There’s fun in the epic romance stories and giant adventures that the princess stories typically dive into. But there’s something so quaint and serene about a movie that’s just a couple falling in love without any bells or whistles or grandiosity. And it’s resulted in Disney’s best romance and a nice, small story that they should try to go back to one of these days.

Only downside? It’s got racist stuff in it.

• Like 10
  • Heart 1

Sleeping Beauty

891 points, 18 lists

"Now, father, you're living in the past. This is the 14th century!"

sleepingbeauty_29350__01469.1604867215.j

Box Office: 187M

Rotten Tomatoes: 89%

Metacritic: 85

Awards: 1 Academy Award nomination, 1 Grammy Award nomination

Its Legacy: The most expensive animated movie on its release. Became the first animated film in 70mm widescreen and the second animated film shot in widescreen after Lady and the Tramp. Became a staple of the Disney Princess and Disney Villains franchises. Caused mass layoffs in the animation studio and Walt Disney losing interest in animation. Considered one of the most beautiful Disney animated movies ever made, influencing future hits like Aladdin, Frozen, and Hunchback of Notre Dame. Helped give the name to Sleeping Beauty Castle in Disneyland. Appeared in Kingdom Hearts and Once Upon a Time. Earned a live-action remake with Maleficent in 2014, with a sequel in 2019. Joined the National Film Registry in 2019. Gave Mary Costa a paycheck.

Commentary: On its release Sleeping Beauty was the most expensive animated movie of all time. And trust me, you can see it in the final product. Even today, this has one of the boldest, most distinct, most gorgeous art directions in any Disney movie made before or since then. The film took influence from pre-Renaissance tapestry art, creating a slick, flat, yet highly modern animated feature that offers stunning backgrounds, great character designs, and incredible setpieces. To say nothing of the final battle between the prince and the evil dragon Maleficent, which has gone down as one of, if not the greatest finale in Disney history.

Speaking of, this film also boasts Maleficent, a villain who has transcended her Disney roots and has solidified herself as one of the greatest villains of all time. She’s conniving, sinister, perfectly voiced by Eleanor Audley, who is just dripping with evil in every line delivery. So many great expressions and bits of character acting from animator Marc Davis. It all combines into a character who exemplifies the glamor, camp, dread, and terror that makes the Disney Villians so iconic to this very day.

Alongside a fun story, beautiful setpieces, a great trio of fairy godmothers, and one of Disney’s best songs ever with “Once Upon a Dream”, and it was a film destined to be a classic. It sadly took a while, as the film was a massive money loser, with tons of layoffs happening at the animation studio, at a time where it was struggling to stay relevant with Disney’s other business ventures. But history is written by the winners and the film is considered one of Disney’s absolute bests. A visual masterpiece they could never achieve or retain, but that makes it all the more special in a way.

• Like 7
  • Heart 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Free Guy in front of Avengers: Age of Ultron is funny AF

I mean, it's the better movie.

Also!! Why is a third of our Top Ten showing up in the #50s?!?!?!

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

On 1/29/2024 at 9:32 PM, Eric Creed said:

Call Me By Your Name

616 points, 11 lists

"When you least expect it, nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot."

61f0C3EfzfL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Box Office: 43.1M

Rotten Tomatoes: 94%

Metacritic: 94

Awards: 1 Academy Award and 3 nominations, 1 BAFTA Award and 3 nominations, 1 Critics Choice Award and 7 nominations, 5 Empire Award nominations, 1 GLAAD Media Award, 3 Golden Globe Award nominations, 2 Gotham Awards and 2 nominations, 2 Grammy Award nominations, 2 Independent Spirit Awards and 4 nominations, 2 MTV Movie Award nominations, 

Its Legacy: The breakthrough performance of Timothee Chalamet, the most beautiful man in the world and the reason I get up every morning. Became one of the most acclaimed films of 2017 and of the 21st century in general. Gained a passionate fanbase around the world. Boosted Luca Guadagnino's career exponentially. Sadly gave Armie Hammer a hit. Considered one of the greatest LGBT films of all time. Boosted the popularity of the original Andre Aciman novel. Became the title of a Lil Nas X song. Gave Michael Stuhlbarg a paycheck.

Commentary: It was released under Disney in Taiwan. Disney had a hand in its distribution. Therefore, it counts. My list, my rules. Fuck you.

So uh...can I use this space to talk about Timothee again? Never stopped me before, so I’m gonna do it. His work as Elio in here is just...it’s just beautiful. He captures the insecurities of first love. A love you can never grasp or achieve. A yearning to be with somebody who you just can never be with. He does all this while also enjoying the beauty of Italy, enjoying the comfort of man, and showing a sense of kindness and maturity, but a lovely sense of innocence and curiosity. It’s a transcendent performance. One of his best in a never-ending line of great performances. Why can't this man be in my life? I wish he was in my life. I love him. Oh my fuck, do I love him.

Credit should be given here to both James Ivory’s screenplay and Luca Guadagnino’s stunning direction in letting Timothee my beloved shine and deliver in the way he does. It’s through this film that he is now the biggest, most amazing, most beautiful movie star in the world. And I am forever grateful. And thank you Disney for releasing it in one country, meaning it was eligible, and gave me a chance to talk about how much I love my sweet, lovable baby.

Though I should mention...Disney, please make this man a Disney Prince. Please. Please oh please oh please. He is literally Prince Charming incarnate, and it would mean the world to have him be a Disney Prince. If you want to get your box office out of the toilet, this is your only option. Please do this. Please...please.

I didn't know this counted as Disney, It would have been in like my top 5 if I had known. 

1 minute ago, Chaz said:

Sleeping Beauty needs to be on 4K disc yesterday. Especially after the truly stunning Snow White and Cinderella releases last year. 

yeah it's one of the most visually appealling animated films ever made.

• Like 1

#220 - Pom Poko (150 points, 2 lists)

654e7c85d934c5d85dc1c594119f5602095f6bfa

#219 - Scream 2 (151 points, 3 lists)

VvjK.gif

#218 - Kundun (153 points, 3 lists)

a8e5a007f72677c7724f118cc7562967.gif

#217 - Eternals (155 points, 5 lists)

giphy.gif

#216 - The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (155 points, 2 lists)

6639c5f8959617965c5bf4b68ffbfcc6.gif

#215 - Darby O'Gill and the Little People (156 points, 5 lists)

vNA68z.gif

#214 - Shakespeare in Love (157 points, 5 lists)

65931b623ebc6a5270210da222596d8b.gif

#213 - The Color of Money (160 points, 4 lists)

0778d708d9ac66fed03e430407a5ff5225248a3a

#212 - Holes (164 points, 6 lists)

tumblr_lqs0v2btQw1qe5cn6o1_500.gif

#211 - Dogma (167 points, 3 lists)

do-it.gif

• Like 6

Turning Red

909 points, 22 lists

"I like boys! I like loud music! I like gyrating! I'M 13, DEAL WITH IT!"

Turning_Red_OOH_Expres_282_Nervous_MASTE

Box Office: 20.7M

Rotten Tomatoes: 95%

Metacritic: 83

Awards: 1 Academy Award nomination, 7 Annie Award nominations, 1 BAFTA Award nomination, 1 Golden Globe Award nomination, 1 Grammy Award nomination, 1 MTV Movie Award nomination

Its Legacy: The final film of the Pixar Plus Trilogy. The second-most watched film on streaming in 2022. A new film directed by Domee Shi is in the works. Showcased the beauty and majesty of Toronto and Chinese-Canadian culture. Has the fastest development of any Pixar movie. Features tons of awesome bops from Billie Eilish and Finneas. Gave Sandra Oh a paycheck.

Commentary: It’s weird to think that a movie can be set in 2002 and arguably be a period piece. And it’s even weirder that filmmakers now are making movies about their childhoods growing up in the early 2000s. But if we get movies as good as this from our new generation of filmmakers, I don’t mind at all.

It’s certainly one of the funniest Pixar movies ever made. The anime-influenced character designs and the exaggerated anxieties main character Mei faces allow for a lot of wacky expressions and hilarious visuals that bring plenty of laughs and great comic setpieces. And to say nothing of the 4*Town tracks. The greatest late 90s boy band we never got, this serves as some of Billie Eilish’s finest works and will become a staple of Disney song playlists everywhere.

Still, within all the silly scenarios, goofy comedy, and hilarious looks into adolescence, the movie also boasts one of the strongest morals in Pixar history. It’s a film that tells kids that it’s okay to be a weirdo. It’s okay to embrace yourself as your own individual. It’s okay to be an odd duck, to have weird interests, to not be the mold that your parents want you to be. And most importantly, your parents went through these same issues when they were your age. So you gotta make some tough decisions. Do you continue the cycle and fit into a mold? Hide and diminish the things that make you eccentric and individual? Or be the silly, cringey form of yourself that makes you special?

Turning Red would of course be a huge sensation on streaming and has gone on to have the strongest views of the Pixar Plus Trilogy nearly two years later. It’s for sure going to be an important movie for a lot of today’s kids, and that’s a truly wonderful thing.

Though they probably should have brought up 9/11 in the movie.

• Like 11

Cinderella

934 points, 17 lists

"And yet, through it all, Cinderella remained ever gentle and kind, for with each dawn she found new hope that someday her dreams of happiness would come true."

s-l1600.jpg

Box Office: 182M

Rotten Tomatoes: 98%

Metacritic: 85

Awards: 3 Academy Award nominations, 1 Hugo Award nomination, 

Roger Ebert's Review: "This time around I was more aware of the power of the full-animation techniques, and I appreciated Disney's policy of using unfamiliar voices for the dubbing, instead of the studio's guess-that-voice derbys of recent years. But in other ways the movie still worked for me just as it had the first time. When those little mice bust a gut trying to drag that key up hundreds of stairs in order to free Cinderella, I don't care how many Kubrick pictures you've seen, it's still exciting."

Its Legacy: The biggest box office hit for the studio since Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, and saved the studio. Won the Golden Bear at the first Berlin International Film Festival. Nominated for the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival. #9 on AFI's Top 10 Animated Films. Cinderella would become the face of the Disney Princess line. Earned two direct-to-video sequels. Appeared in Kingdom Hearts and Descendants. Earned a live-action remake in 2015. Became the famed castle of Walt Disney World. Joined the National Film Registry in 2018. Gave Ilene Woods a paycheck.

Commentary: This is my favorite film from Walt Disney Animation Studios. I loved it as a kid, and I especially love it now as an adult. It takes the always beautiful, always timeless, always relevant story and creates something that is full of heart, full of charm, full of comedy, and full of beauty. And with its recent 4K restoration on Disney+, an utterly gorgeous transfer, it’s only gotten better.

The art direction, courtesy of the legendary Mary Blair, is an astonishing one. Full of lush colors, incredible backgrounds that make the story larger than life, and incredible sequences around every corner, whether they be comedic, frightening, or romantic. And above all, it captures the essence of Cinderella perfectly. Both in its story and its character.

The story is one we all know and have had shoved down our throats for decades, and this one is the best just on Cinderella herself. She would be criticized as a character for the longest time for being too passive, for waiting for a prince to rescue her, and it’s all a bunch of hooey. This is somebody who has a lot of strong personality. Somebody with wit. Somebody with patience. Somebody trapped in an awful situation and still finds herself smiling and trying to find the positives. It’s a very powerful character that always resonated with me. Somebody in one of the most abusive and traumatic situations, but is still so strong and determined and kind, refusing to let the evils in her life torment her.

And yeah, it’s a very hopeful, beautiful story. It’s a film that tells kids that life is hard. It’s terrible. It’s full of abuse, of trauma, of people pushing you down. Yet within all this hopelessness, there’s still the importance of sticking to your values. To get up every day, face life’s hardships, and keep moving on. And if you stick with it, devote yourself to facing these hardships, confront that nastiness, all through kindness, patience, and hard work, you will find incredible rewards. I’ve had that lesson in my head for a while. And while I’m currently at a low point, I know there’s a happily ever after just waiting for me soon. Just gotta keep moving.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Frozen

946 points, 20 lists

"Oh, look at that. I've been impaled."

s-l1600.jpg

Box Office: 1.28B

Rotten Tomatoes: 90%

Metacritic: 74

Awards: 2 Academy Awards, 5 Annie Awards and 5 nominations, 1 BAFTA Award, 1 Golden Globe Award and 1 nomination, 2 Grammy Awards and 1 nomination

Its Legacy: The former biggest-animated film of all time. Kickstarted one of Disney's biggest franchises ever. Elsa became a popular baby name in 2014. Earned a Broadway show in 2019. Became a major part of Once Upon A Time. Appeared in Kingdom Hearts and is all over the Disney Parks. Recieved a sequel, a short film, television special, and much more. Two more sequels are in development. The highest-selling Blu-Ray Disc ever. The second-biggest film in South Korea. The third-biggest film in Japan. "Let it Go" became the first Disney song to hit the Billboard Top 10 since "Colors of the Wind" in 1995. Gave Josh Gad a paycheck.

Commentary: Oh boy. Here comes the big one. It’s been over a decade since this instant classic came out and it’s still easy to remember how much of a phenomenon this film truly was when it first came out. This movie played in theaters for months on end, with legs that hadn’t been seen since the 90s. The merchandise was impossible to find for ages, with kids begging to have Elsa and Olaf dolls that you just couldn't get. The songs were inescapable for the longest time. It was a phenomenon that was utterly insane. Something that hadn’t been seen for any animated movie since Lion King, and arguably has not been since. And yeah...it’s pretty easy to see why. Because while the film earned tons of backlash and still gets mocked...it’s fucking amazing.

Like the Disney Renaissance films before it, Frozen not only harkened back to the incredible Disney classics of old, reminding us why we love those old movies, but also modernized the formula and characters to fit with current, modern-day sensibilities. This was a film where the true love wasn’t about some lovebirds, but a love between two sisters and their attempt to mend their relationship. This was a film where the handsome prince is conniving and nefarious. This is a film where our main princess becomes a queen, struggling to handle the power she has from a world that doesn’t treat her with the respect she should have. It’s a movie full of surprises that still reminds you of the movies you love.

And everything else? It’s just pure Disney magic. It's so well-paced, the heroes are all charming and smartly-written, the big twist villain is well-handled, and the songs really do stack up along Disney's best. Not just in enhancing this already strong narrative, but also just incredible melodies and harmonies that are full of life and excitement. And it has led to Disney’s biggest franchise ever, with the dolls and merchandise still selling like hotcakes, and tons of sequels that will surely stack as some of Disney’s biggest moneymaker.

It’s a rare movie where every time I watch it, it gets better and better and better. I gain so much more appreciation for the story, the characters, the writing, and so on with each viewing, and I can’t wait to love it even more the next time I watch it. And hopefully, over the next few years, it will apply to some of you here.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 2

2 hours ago, Eric Creed said:

Turning Red

Ahh I was wondering when this was showing up. It was heavily weighted to the public lists I saw, includng mine. I projected maybe 1700 points from the sample I had but it had about half of that in the end.

#210 - From Dusk Till Dawn (168 points, 3 lists)

tumblr_mn01wlhprW1rgyrl3o1_500.gif

#209 - Clerks (170 points, 6 lists)

OotJjCf7m7wUwIfAykO-CDa6RGc.gif

#208 - Bridget Jones' Diary (170 points, 3 lists)

giphy.gif

#207 - The Waterboy (171 points, 3 lists)

giphy.gif

#206 - Dead Man (173 points, 3 lists)

9d9cbf60f5a6ce0f56f93781472af3ec.gif

#205 - The Parent Trap (1961) (174 points, 6 lists)

8U2u.gif

#204 - Gone Baby Gone (174 points, 3 lists)

gone-baby-gone-working.gif

#203 - The Sword in the Stone (175 points, 4 lists)

6bde2ffada7436525fa130c605790566c3116a7b

#202 - Ready or Not (178 points, 5 lists)

f6b3315404b58eb8e6a438cfe28c8dfa9619b3ab

#201 - Good Morning, Vietnam (179 points, 5 lists)

good-morning-vietnam.gif

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

948 points, 17 lists

"I see now. I can't save my family by running. This is our home. This is our fortress. This is where we make our stand."

71DlLjNU0HL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Box Office: 2.32B

Rotten Tomatoes: 76%

Metacritic: 67

Awards: 1 Academy Award and 3 nominations, 2 Annie Awards, 1 BAFTA Award and 1 nomination, 2 Golden Globe Award nominations

Its Legacy: The third-biggest movie in box office history. Showed that Daddy Cameron is the true king of the world. One of the most expensive movies ever made. The first film to do performance capture underwater. Made history in numerous VFX fields. The second Disney film and second Fox film to exceed three hours. Instantly solidified the Avatar franchise as one of Disney's most lucrative properties, with many more sequels on the way. Gave Edie Falco a paycheck.

Commentary: It’s here we have one of Disney’s newest franchises and most recent hits. And yeah, Daddy Cameron has once again won the hearts of the public, with Avatar solidified as the biggest, coolest, hippest franchise around and has already been slotted in as a big deal within Disney fandom. Indeed, a fate worse than death.

As one would expect, this is one of the most expensive movies ever made, and it really shows. The Na’vi have never looked better, and Daddy Cameron’s obsession with oceanography and waves results in some of the most stunning underwater imagery to ever exist. Of course it’s action-packed, and the climax is up there as some of Daddy Cameron’s best. If anything, an amalgamation of all the knowledge he has obtained as a filmmaker. But the best parts, the most powerful moments, come from the sequences where our Na’vi heroes just enjoy the beauty and wonder of Pandora. The beauty of the ocean, the beauty of its animals, the beauty of its people. A place full of magic and wonder and life.

And that really is why Avatar and its movies have resonated so much with the public. This is a movie series that reminds us of the beauty of the world and how much we have lost it over the decades. The world of Pandora is unlike anything else, with astonishing landscapes and customs that feel like livable, breathable environments. The Na’vi’s understanding of life and nature is so distinct from how we treat our world, yet still oddly human at the same time. And you can see it in moments where these characters just enjoy themselves, swimming or flying through Pandora’s oceans. It’s the kind of things blockbusters usually omit. Moments where characters are allowed to breathe and enjoy the world.

Outside of that, I don’t know what else I can really say about this movie. Partially because everybody here has seen it already and have their opinions, and also because we still have three more movies to go. Apparently five more movies to go? Because Daddy Cameron’s a sicko? So in some regards, I feel I can’t say anything until we get the final picture. But either way...yeah, this is already one of Disney’s best, most iconic movies ever. And it’s only just recently turned a year old.

• Like 6

The Muppet Christmas Carol

991 points, 18 lists

"Mother always taught me: "Never eat singing food.""

s-l1600.jpg

Box Office: 27.2M

Rotten Tomatoes: 77%

Metacritic: 64

Awards: 1 Grammy Award nomination

Roger Ebert's Review: "The movie, directed by Brian Henson, son of the late Muppet creator Jim Henson, follows the original fairly faithfully. Like the earlier three Muppet movies, it manages to incorporate the Muppets convincingly into the action; we may know they're puppets, but usually we're not much reminded of their limited fields of movement. Ever since Kermit rode a bicycle across the screen in "The Muppet Movie" in 1979, the Muppeteers have managed to bypass what you'd think would be the obvious limitations of the form. This time, they even seem to belong in Victorian London, created in atmospheric sets that combine realism and expressionism."

Its Legacy: One of the most beloved and celebrated film adaptations of the Charles Dickens tale. The first Muppet movie made under Disney. Recieved a 30th anniversary director's cut, restoring one of the original songs. Considered one of the best Christmas Carol movies and Christmas movies in general. Introduced the Charles Dickens story to a whole new generation of youngsters. Considered one of the best Muppet movies. Gave us Fozziwig, the greatest pun in movie history. Gave Michael Caine a paycheck.

Commentary: 

It’s weird to say a film starring talking socks is the definitive, greatest, most perfect adaptation of the famed Charles Dickens classic, but...yeah, it really is. I actually binged a bunch of Christmas Carol movies a few years ago. Some were good, some were bad, some I forgot even existed. But man...this really is a perfect package of charm, wit, and power. The perfect showcase of the powerful themes of the original text, with no sense of insecurity or embarrassment that Bob Cratchit is played by Kermit the Frog.

There's of course that lively, self-aware Muppets charm that's hard to resist in even the lousiest Muppet productions. Best shown here with the wacky antics of Gonzo and Rizzo as the narrators. But the film is surprisingly serious and faithful to the original source material. Kid-friendly for certain, but still full of the gothic undertones and bitter sadness we know from the original story. When you add the incredible production values and puppetry and likable musical numbers, you have a true winner on your hands.

Yet the best aspect of the film is Michael Caine as Scrooge. Any other actor would treat the role as a farce. It's just a Muppet movie, so why give it your all? Yet Caine gives the role his all and more. It's a perfect recreation of the depressed and sorrowful Ebenezer folks know, yet still there's an important sense of humanity and hidden warmth that can be seen even at his nastiest points. Scrooge is a hard character to pull off, but Caine knows how to pull off the subtleties and intricacies of such a character and delivers a dynamite, downright Oscar-worthy performance.

This was the first Muppet movie after the death of Jim Henson, with his son Brian in charge of his father's creations. This tidbit really makes the film that much more special and this really was the perfect send-off to the man. God bless us every one.

• Like 5

Thor: Ragnarok

997 points, 20 lists

"I'm made of rocks, as you can see, but don't let that intimidate you. You don't need to be afraid, unless you're made of scissors!"

s-l1200.webp

Box Office: 865M

Rotten Tomatoes: 93%

Metacritic: 74

Awards: 3 Critics Choice Award nominations, 1 NAACP Image Award and 1 nomination, 8 Empire Award nominations, 2 MTV Movie Award nominations

Roger Ebert's Review: N/A

Its Legacy: The highest-grossing Thor movie and the ninth-biggest movie of 2017. Made Thor cool to the kids finally. Taika Waititi's highest-grossing film. Valkyrie became one of Marvel's first LGBT characters. Had the third-highest viewed trailer of all time. Earned a sequel in 2022. Gave Jeff Goldblum a paycheck.

Commentary: Within the famed Avengers trio, Thor was never really the popular one. At least when it came to movies. I always had him as my favorite in that original lineup, and it was always frustrating how his movies never matched what a fun character Thor can be, as well as what a great performer and sexy beast Chris Hemsworth can be...well, okay, I guess the latter worked.

Still, after two films most regarded as some of the MCU’s worst (oh just you wait), Feige and friends finally cracked the code with 2017’s Thor: Ragnarok, a massive reinvention of the character that people just ate up. Thanks to the wacky wit and stylings of Taika Waititi, Ragnarok served as a wacky, cosmic road trip full of quips, full of gags, and full of personality. What results is a hilarious feature with great action and even greater characters.

Thor and Loki of course return as their usual charming selves, while Hulk got to join the fun, resulting in great moments between the god and the monster, as well as Mark Ruffalo giving us what we should have gotten back in Age of Ultron. Then you have Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie, a recovering alcoholic mess of a warrior, Jeff Goldblum as the conniving, manipulative Grandmaster, and Cate Blanchett serving looks as one of the MCU’s coolest villains ever, it was a film that really gave Thor the exciting, action-packed, personality-filled adventure he needed. Just like Favreau and the Russos gave to Tony and Cap years prior.

Alas, what followed after Thor: Ragnarok became very rocky. Many were not as enamored at the himboification of Thor, and the epic follow-up Love and Thunder was...imperfect, to say the least. This all has led to the shine of Ragnarok moving down a bit, but it’s still well-regarded as one of Marvel’s strongest and will still be one of the films that made Taika Waititi into the comedy superstar many love and others...tolerate.

• Like 5
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 2