movies!movies!

Blink Twice | MGM | August 23, 2024

Still 80% after 40 reviews now, and an extremely solid 7.2/10 average. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one Friday. I hope the good critical reception can translate into anything decent for this. I wonder what it's theater count will be... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, harry713 said:

Still 80% after 40 reviews now, and an extremely solid 7.2/10 average. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one Friday. I hope the good critical reception can translate into anything decent for this. I wonder what it's theater count will be... 

3k+.

Edited by efialtes76

Trigger warnings are useless. They don't accomplish what they're meant to (according to various studies on the subject), and oftentimes end up inspiring the same negative feelings/thoughts trying to be pre-addressed. Some people are perhaps too sensitive to live in public if so much hand-holding is required for simple things, like seeing a mystery/thriller in theaters ;)

On 8/22/2024 at 9:19 AM, filmlover said:

I wonder if this is also going to appear before the movie. That's gonna be awkward after someone already gave up $12 for a movie ticket.

Saw it this morning and yes, this warning does appear right before the movie begins. The other people in the theater laughed at the disclaimer, which I don't think was their intention.

Not one to get up in arms over trigger warnings before stuff, but this is just ridiculous. Not only could one research what the movie is about beforehand, but it also basically acts as a spoiler for those who just paid the ticket price to watch it. Really just speaks to how much of a lack of faith there is in people to do their homework these days. Especially when, let's be real, a number of folks out there who claim to have been "triggered" who are really just looking to squeeze a free movie out of the theater using whatever excuse will work (if you don't believe there are people out there who are cheap as hell and looking to save as much cash as possible, I have a giant sphere located in Bay Lake to sell you).

33 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Saw it this morning and yes, this warning does appear right before the movie begins. The other people in the theater laughed at the disclaimer, which I don't think was their intention.

Not one to get up in arms over trigger warnings before stuff, but this is just ridiculous. Not only could one research what the movie is about beforehand, but it also basically acts as a spoiler for those who just paid the ticket price to watch it. Really just speaks to how much of a lack of faith there is in people to do their homework these days. Especially when, let's be real, a number of folks out there who claim to have been "triggered" who are really just looking to squeeze a free movie out of the theater using whatever excuse will work (if you don't believe there are people out there who are cheap as hell and looking to save as much cash as possible, I have a giant sphere located in Bay Lake to sell you).

I do think trigger warnings are funny, but not in this case.

There’s a lot of stupid warnings, but i don’t think

Spoiler

sexual assault

counts as one of the irrelevant ones. If you read a synopsis of the movie, you obviously won’t know specific details about it in the movie, just the basic storyline which is “something will go wrong”.

There’s too many woman that deals with

Spoiler

rape

everyday. It’s a very recurrent violence, the movie clearly targets female audience, and not every woman wants to deal with this subject considering so many of them have their own stories to suffer about it. It’s fair for them to know this subject will appear heavily in the movie so they can skip it if they don’t feel it’ll be good for them to remember it. 

Knowing it doesn’t necessarily destroy the movie to be that annoying. It’s not exactly a mystery that something in this vein are happening when the movie opens with the character

Spoiler

apologizing for being abusive.

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Reveal hidden contents

counts as one of the irrelevant ones. If you read a synopsis of the movie, you obviously won’t know specific details about it in the movie, just the basic storyline which is “something will go wrong”.

Reveal hidden contents

everyday. It’s a very recurrent violence, the movie clearly targets female audience, and not every woman wants to deal with this subject considering so many of them have their own stories to suffer about it. It’s fair for them to know this subject will appear heavily in the movie so they can skip it if they don’t feel it’ll be good for them to remember it. 

Knowing it doesn’t necessarily destroy the movie to be that annoying. It’s not exactly a mystery that something in this vein are happening when the movie opens with the character

Reveal hidden contents

I'm not disagreeing with you on any of this. I just don't think it should be right before the movie. At most, it should be a disclaimer sign right at the box office window or a warning next to the movie on websites where you can buy tickets (movies that feature strobe lighting sequences that might induce seizures do this all the time now).

Sticking it right before the movie itself feels tacky, and also like a bit of a con, considering by that point a person likely will have already spent money on concessions in addition to the ticket price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

It was already in the MPA info: Rated R for strong violent content, sexual assault, drug use and language throughout, and some sexual references.

People don't always see that ahead of time, especially if the warning only briefly flashes by in small print in an ad/trailer. Plus, younger audiences are used to streaming, where every show puts the ratings reasons onscreen right as the show starts: "TV-MA: nudity, language, smoking". HBO started using brief content warnings decades ago on movies/shows and no one really considered them massive spoilers. Or maybe people just got used to them.

Of course with TV, a person can just turn it off and watch something else if they're too uncomfortable. Not as easy at the multiplex.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

The trigger warning showed up before the film at my showing too, but it was the next slide after the rating and content warning anyway, so again my audience giggled. 

They’re unnecessary. Hopefully this is a one off and studios realise it’s daft. 

Not enough people will see this in theaters for there to be any sort of backlash, if it was before IEWU it would likely be a different story (that movie can't be accused of false advertising when its themes were right there in the trailers). I feel like those who were claiming Beware the TV-ication of Movies were actually trying to warn us about something like this.

11 hours ago, Krissykins said:

The trigger warning showed up before the film at my showing too, but it was the next slide after the rating and content warning anyway, so again my audience giggled. 

They’re unnecessary. Hopefully this is a one off and studios realise it’s daft. 

You get a slide with a film's rating and a content warning right before it starts? That's not standard here in US movie theaters. Movies have ratings info available online and the trailers might briefly list why the movie is PG-13 vs R, but in smallish letters. But you don't get the movie's trailer before the film itself.

So often I hear of moviegoers who say they didn't see the trailers, but got drawn in by 15 second ads or viral clips on social media that can be less detailed about the film's content, and give off a different vibe than the reality. People should do basic research into the films they go to see, but some don't because of spoiler fears, then get upset that nobody warned them! I think that's part of what happened to It Ends With Us and the Blink Twice team wanted to avoid similar complaints.

16 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

You get a slide with a film's rating and a content warning right before it starts? That's not standard here in US movie theaters. Movies have ratings info available online and the trailers might briefly list why the movie is PG-13 vs R, but in smallish letters. But you don't get the movie's trailer before the film itself.

So often I hear of moviegoers who say they didn't see the trailers, but got drawn in by 15 second ads or viral clips on social media that can be less detailed about the film's content, and give off a different vibe than the reality. People should do basic research into the films they go to see, but some don't because of spoiler fears, then get upset that nobody warned them! I think that's part of what happened to It Ends With Us and the Blink Twice team wanted to avoid similar complaints.

That’s on the people though. If they know they’re sensitive to certain topics, it’s their responsibility to check before. I would be checking content for every film if I had epilepsy, for example. 

Yes, here in the UK the rating comes up before every film and it has the “for moderate horror, violence, drug misuse” etc in big writing. Has been like that for at least 40 years. 

• Like 1