cannastop

Moana 2 | November 27, 2024

2 hours ago, Eric Creed said:

No joke, yesterday I was talking to a coworker about how they announced Moana 2, and she said she really hoped they would make a live-action version of the movie instead. There's an audience out there, whether you guys want to admit or not.

"Well, about that..."

I have no objective facts to base this on but I have a feeling this is gonna be like those straight-to-VHS sequels Disney used to do, where the sequel has none of the creativity, charm or quality of the 'real' movie, they just hire the voice actors and put out some garbage that kids won't notice is worse.

• Sad 1

You know, maybe Moana 2 being converted from a TV show to a movie isn't so bad after all. It's probably not a bunch of disjoint episodes hastily sewn together seeing as this was originally supposed to be a big budget 6-8 episode serial ala the MCU/Star Wars/Percy Jackson shows. WDAS does major rewrites mere months before release for a lot of their movies anyways, so this isn't entirely out of the ordinary for them, and maybe they already had a plot together and are just trimming down the fat, which is more than what can probably be said about Frozen 2 and Wish nine months out from their releases.

We'll see though, this was very much greenlit for money, but a bad Moana 2 would do a lot of damage to the brand (and potentially doom the remake), so if they're pushing this to theatres then surely it's at least a halfway decent movie for general audiences like the Ralph and Frozen sequels. Those were a step (or multiple) below their originals, but they were still received well enough and given the Frozen 2 docuseries, I don't think the issues stemmed from a lack of trying. If Moana 2 is at least on that level, then it'll make a killing at the box office and on streaming.

• Like 1

“The switch was set in motion a few months ago, when Disney execs started getting a look at nearly finished episodes of the long-developing “Moana” series. The episodes, written and directed by David G. Derrick Jr. and animated at Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Canadian satellite studio, got a big thumbs up. Iger noted on the company’s earnings call last week that some at the studio thought it could be better than the movie. Soon, a plan was hatched: Could the episodes be combined into a single theatrical experience?“

https://www.thewrap.com/moana-2-disney-sequels-strategy/

So this was a recent change and likely after Wish bombed. The article also said they were trying to move up Zoo2 but that wasn't ready in time.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, YM! said:

“The switch was set in motion a few months ago, when Disney execs started getting a look at nearly finished episodes of the long-developing “Moana” series. The episodes, written and directed by David G. Derrick Jr. and animated at Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Canadian satellite studio, got a big thumbs up. Iger noted on the company’s earnings call last week that some at the studio thought it could be better than the movie. Soon, a plan was hatched: Could the episodes be combined into a single theatrical experience?“

https://www.thewrap.com/moana-2-disney-sequels-strategy/

So this was a recent change and likely after Wish bombed. The article also said they were trying to move up Zoo2 but that wasn't ready in time.

Oh I don't....that doesn't give me a lotta confidence. But we shall see!

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

So this is gonna be like that Clone Wars movie from 2008? 

True but on higher end scale and in fairness I think it was likely a miniseries 6-episode event which are basically glorified movies. However, I'm dubious on quality though I think families will enjoy it.

Edited by YM!

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Incoming Encanto 2 and 3, Tangled 2 and Big Hero 7 announcements are imminent, and we are probably not getting out of this nightmare era without Moana 3 and Ralph 3 either 

Disney has never made a sequel before!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Have I not been saying they’re  gonna shamelessly milk all the Revival movies now? Yep, here we go. Hope the lazy greed backfires so spectacularly for them they wish for the days of Wish. 

20 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Incoming Encanto 2 and 3, Tangled 2 and Big Hero 7 announcements are imminent, and we are probably not getting out of this nightmare era without Moana 3 and Ralph 3 either 

So what do you want dude? Because original animated films from all studios haven’t been doing well. Elemental is the highest grossing original film by far since the pandemic and it “only” made 500M. If they make original films that flop at the box office you’ll complain. If they lay people off or cut costs like other studios you’ll complain about that too. They’re making sequels like other studios and that’s a problem as well.

Do you just want Disney to just not make animated films anymore? Because it seems like you don’t want them to make films.

Edited by Speedorito

Just now, Speedorito said:

So what do you want dude? Because original animated films from all studios haven’t been doing well. Elemental is the highest grossing original film by far since the pandemic and it “only” made 500M. If they make original films that flop at the box office you’ll complain. If they lay people off or cut costs like other studios you’ll complain about that too. They’re making sequels like other studios that’s a problem as well.

Do you just want Disney to just not make animated films anymore? Because it seems like you don’t want them to make films.

I’ve said it already in depth so won’t again, but the key to WDAS 85 year success has been originality. They don’t really do sequels. Creative non-sequels is what gets them out of their rut every single time and this will be no exception. 

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’ve said it already in depth so won’t again, but the key to WDAS 85 year success has been originality. They don’t really do sequels. Creative non-sequels is what gets them out of their rut every single time and this will be no exception. 

This is clearly uncharted territory. Encanto had much better reception than Wish and will barely outgross it. Strange World and Ruby Gillman couldn’t crack 100M. Even consistent hit-maker Illumination couldn’t get Migration to 300M with no competition for moths and holiday legs.

I would love a consistent stream of (good) original animated from Disney and other studios. But when the general audience has basically turned its back on seeing original films in theaters while clearly having no problem with IP films and sequels, that’s how you get Moana 2. Praying for sequels to flop even harder than original films won’t change that.

• Like 1

As much as I hate to say it, you can pretty much forget about any kind of Disney animated movies being made if even the sequels flop too. Yes, they didn't make them much before, but they do now and they have proven to be much more reliable revenue generators. It's very wishful thinking to assume the lesson they will take from sequels flopping will be to make more originals.