cannastop

Moana 2 | November 27, 2024

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

I haven't seen Strange World but if I recall it got better reviews than Wish.

Let me tell you all the reasons that Strange World was both a terrible adventure movie and a morally unpleasant film.

a224c6c8826503f7e4242e81785ee4b2

Basically, of all of the Disney/disney adjacent films I've seen in my life, I'd only rank Mulan 2 below Strange World. Perhaps its not fair but I'm very low on it. I'm really not sure exactly where Wish and Strange World fall relative to each other on average.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

26 minutes ago, cannastop said:

morally unpleasant?

I thought the meme was a winking to not really wanting to reopen the rant about the film.

I genuinely didn't enjoy the scenes in the kids movie that felt like the writers were expressing a troubled relationship with their parents on screen as a form of therapy. Feels sort of mean to say about the writers so I'm trying to just tiptoe around it. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

Jared Bush is returning to write the screenplay and The Rock is back. That does give me some more faith in this project.

Edited by YM!

4 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I thought the meme was a winking to not really wanting to reopen the rant about the film.

And yeah, it was uncomfortable to watch a kids movie that felt like the writers were just vomiting out a troubled relationship with their parents on screen as a form of therapy. 

Feels sort of mean to say about the writers so I'm trying to just tiptoe around it. 

Meh I mean no one saw Strange World, not even me so I don't mind. People say the same shit about Turning Red though and that's a fave of mine.

• Like 1

I’m trying to think of anything unpleasant about Strange World, let alone morally unpleasant. It’s just mediocre and muddled. Strange World is probably better than Wish in hindsight.

Edited by YM!

4 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Also, this is anecdotal but I was asking a friend of mine what she thought about the announcement and while she's very skeptical about the quality, when I mentioned Lin-Manuel Miranda wasn't involved, she actually saw that as one of the few positives. I really do feel like people underestimate how much he was, and still is, overexposed.

It doesn't matter if he's overexposed or not. The last songs he's made for Disney movies being massive radio hits were one of the biggest reasons for their successes.  And Im not sure if these new people will produce songs on that level.

• Like 1

Moana 2 comes out in 9 months and it was just announced a day ago? Was WDAS just secretly working on this all this time last year?

A theory going around is this is the first 4 episodes of the streaming Moana D+ show upgraded with better animation into a move. That would be dreadful if if Moana 2 wasn't conceived as a film from the start.

Edited by Mojoguy

25 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Moana 2 comes out in 9 months and it was just announced a day ago? Was WDAS just secretly working on this all this time last year?

A theory going around is this is the first 4 episodes of the streaming Moana D+ show upgraded with better animation into a move. That would be dreadful if if Moana 2 wasn't conceived as a film from the start.

It is the show turned into a movie. But we have no idea when that shift happend. Could be a year ago or 2 years ago idk.

From the deadline article:

Iger exclaimed the news in a CNBC interview before the studio’s Q1 earnings on how the studio was turning a Moana TV series into a feature sequel.

• Like 1

There's so many unknowns about what that TV series was even going to be. Was it going to be episodic or was it a movie chopped up into 6-8 parts to begin with? It was greenlit back when Disney was lavishing absurd budgets onto the Disney+ shows, especially those from their major brands, so it was probably never going to be cheap looking animation. Plus the majority of the actual animating part happens in the last year (last 6 months especially) on these projects, so it's not going to look like anything DTV. The big question is whether they'll have enough time to iron out any story issues from the transition from show to movie.

LMM may not be the most popular person but he's undeniably talented at writing Broadway style music and creating Disney movie earworms. Bad music was the final nail in the Wish coffin and would do this movie no favors, so they need to get that piece right. He got pulled in to the original somewhat late and they should probably back up the money truck and get him to write at least some of the songs for this.

If anyone wants to listen to the new songwriters, they're a duo called Barlow & Bear and they won a Grammy for this album from 2021: 

EDIT: To me, it feels like the choice to go with two female Broadway-style songwriters over Lin-Manuel Miranda was a creative choice more than a money choice. I mean, it was definitely both, but more of the former.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul

31 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

If anyone wants to listen to the new songwriters, they're a duo called Barlow & Bear and they won a Grammy for this album from 2021: 

EDIT: To me, it feels like the choice to go with two female Broadway-style songwriters over Lin-Manuel Miranda was a creative choice more than a money choice. I mean, it was definitely both, but more of the former.

...I like the style, and can hear some LMM influences. They probably would have made the music for Wish better.

2 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I genuinely didn't enjoy the scenes in the kids movie that felt like the writers were expressing a troubled relationship with their parents on screen as a form of therapy. Feels sort of mean to say about the writers so I'm trying to just tiptoe around it. 

Yeah I hate when movies express filmmakers relationships with the personal lives.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Here's what we know:

The project was announced as a Disney+ show of unknown length, and Disney opened a Vancouver branch studio to help carry the load on all the animation thatd need to be done for it.

As of April last year it was still a show.

At some point Disney was impressed enough with how it was coming along they decided it would be a theatrically released film instead. This is just a guess but I'm guessing this is around when they started looking at stuff like Alien Romulus so it was probably related to that approach.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Of all the plot elements in that film, I thought that aspect was the most interesting. Although my parents are together and still love one another, I'd love to see a kids film tackle divorce. 

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

This is my biggest worry. I hope they're not just doing this because they desperately need a hit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

Yeah I hate when movies express filmmakers relationships with the personal lives.

Yeah, there are plenty of mean spirited or unpleasant films that are good and interesting but bad and unpleasant is a pretty toxic combo to baseline enjoyment. 

However, expectations also matter: I don't really think any of the ideas in the script actually match well to the explicit sales pitch of the film being a homage to Jules Verne style adventure stories. That really is constantly a problem for a film seemingly allergic to expressing any sense of adventure and constantly trying to turn inwards. Again, I'm not denying I'm on the very low end of audience reception. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

9 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

This is my biggest worry. I hope they're not just doing this because they desperately need a hit.

They really need a hit after Strange World and Wish.  Moana likely would have stayed as a D+ show if Wish had done well. 

• Like 1