kayumanggi

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

I love these changes. We have now three films over $100M in Mainland China. Something that North America can't give us

There will be a time.. when Hollywood films be faring lesser than Anime WW... Eagerly Waiting for that specific day ;)

Yes but now the china market is one of the most boring market 😴 

miss the old days 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Yes but now the china market is one of the most boring market 😴 

miss the old days 

It's because you guys never bothered to watch anything outside Hollywood. It's always going to boring if you are fixed to medium 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

It's because you guys never bothered to watch anything outside Hollywood. It's always going to boring if you are fixed to medium 

Have Chinese movies made inroads around the world? How much has Yolo made outside China? I admittedly hadn't heard of that movie before I looked up highest grossing Chinese movies but it's been my impression that Chinese movies have trouble outside their domestic market.

• Like 1

Chinese films are borderline impossible to even find to be frank, even harder than finding japanese or south korean films which are already a struggle to get to watch.

Not that I'd watch that many, but I'd probably see some like I do with jp/sk films if it wasn't so hard.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Have Chinese movies made inroads around the world? How much has Yolo made outside China? I admittedly hadn't heard of that movie before I looked up highest grossing Chinese movies but it's been my impression that Chinese movies have trouble outside their domestic market.

More often than not, they can't even resonate well to people in Hong Kong and Taiwan. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, cannastop said:

True. Even here we get Korean movies more. I can't even remember the last time a Chinese movie was successful here. I don't know if that's just the preference of theater chains or China just doesn't like to promote their movies outside of the country.

Clearly Asian Markets are not good ( unless Indonesia , Philippines and India for some movies ), clearly Studios should focus on Europe , Latin America and America + Australia . I think tomorrow probably I will make the pourcentage of Asia on total overseas and total movie before and after COVID, for the top 10 movies of each year (2017-2019 ; 2021-2024).

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cannastop said:

Chinese/Korean Title does better than Japanese Titles in South East Asia. The only key difference is in Vietnam & Philippines where Korean and Japanese Titles are par in Vietnam and Philippines 

YOLO did RM13M in Malaysia while the Top Grossing Japanese Title is just at RM8M (One Piece Film Red). YOLO did $7M (I know it's not bigger than Wandering Earth II ($10M) but maximum Chinese Titles does better than Korean Title even Roundup 2/3/4 have box office less than $5M Overseas though they are blockbuster at home)

And the reference isn't not only for Chinese Film but for any Non-English Title, there is hardly any talk here even when I myself tracked the success of Exhuma &Lahn Mah in South East Asia.

Lahn Mah has now crushed Laos Record. Getting 40K admission from 6 Cinemas here is really impossible unless WOM is at peak. "The Undertaker" reached All-Time 3rd Highest Grossing Film in Thailand without even been at Top 20 in Capital Region, speaks how popular the film was at Outside Bangkok. Korean/Thai Titles are becoming dominant in Cambodia. Vietnam charts are getting so much update that Within a 1/2 years, all Top 15 will be completely dominant by Vietnamese Titles. Twilight recently almost mobilized what Avengers Endgame did in Hong Kong despite the huge gross difference 

The Change that Current Asian Markets is undergoing is something not anyone Pre-pandemically ever thought was possible in near future.

• Like 2

Question is where it will end. SH movies tend to be way more frontloaded than other genres and I am not sure if it has any other market left to open(none looking at IMDB). 600m+ should happen. But we will have to wait for 2nd weekend hold to see where its going to end up. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Question is where it will end. SH movies tend to be way more frontloaded than other genres and I am not sure if it has any other market left to open(none looking at IMDB). 600m+ should happen. But we will have to wait for 2nd weekend hold to see where its going to end up. 

So far the daily movement in a known country like SK, China or Italy isn't really suggesting a leggy type run, more like standard CBM legs, that should be enough for 1bn+ finish

1B is not a question. It will probably hit 550m+ domestic even with standard big 2nd weekend drop and then a steady run.

OS finish would be more interesting. China Sunday hold looks solid(10% drop). But showtimes get clobbered with new releases and I am not sure about upcoming schedule.  

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

1B is not a question. It will probably hit 550m+ domestic even with standard big 2nd weekend drop and then a steady run.

OS finish would be more interesting. China Sunday hold looks solid(10% drop). But showtimes get clobbered with new releases and I am not sure about upcoming schedule.  

China weekdays will be good this week with summer time and the new release of this weekend made bad numbers.

Like i said in the Weekend Thread :

DS2 : 450M - 688M full week after 2nd Weekend ( -47%)

Thor 4 : 302M - 498M after 2nd Weekend (-35%)

BP2 : 330M - 548M after 2nd weekend (-34%)

GOTG : 282M - 528M after 2nd weekend (-13%)

I expect around the same as Thor 4 or BP2.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

$1 billion or $1.3 billion. No difference for Marvel.

Cuz my perspective is, what they need or care right now is not how to make a record-breaking movie. It's managing their production lines. D&W already prove they still can build hypes and get people into theaters. But it might mean nothing if their next few movies like Captain America 4 can't hit the mark and lose those money D&P earned.

• Like 2