filmlover

Weekend Thread: 2/9-11 | Deadline projects Argylle $6.6M Weekend #2, Lisa Frankenstein $4M

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

A non-zero chance this becomes the lowest grossing weekend post-COVID (since Memorial Day 2021), and will certainly land somewhere in bottom 4

Weekend = Top 10 / Total

1. Jan 28, 2022 = $30.5 / $35.0M

2. Dec 9, 2022 = $33.3 / $37.7M

3. Sept 24, 2001 = $35.8 / $38.8M

4. Sept 9, 2022 = $33.9 / $43.1M

5. Dec 10, 2021 = $40.8 / $43.9M

Only two other weekends, 1/21/22 and 9/17/21 failed to reach $50M in aggregate, none in all of 2023

February 2022 had the Uncharted breakout ($148M), plus Dog ($62M), Jackass ($58), and Death on Nile ($46M) to help breathe some life into the numbers before Batman, but this year we have ... Marley and Madame, a Demon Slayer film, Ordinary Angels and episode releases of Chosen. Gonna be a boring time until Dune II

A Demon Slayer film that is just shows stitched together - which is still getting 3 presale screens at my one of my locals b/c things will be dire that weekend...

Not sure what theaters can do. The past two+ years we have had 5 movies enter the top 15 domestic all time box office charts.  NWH, TGM, Mario, Barbie and Avatar 2.  Theaters have been surviving on these event 'fear of missing out' type movies but they haven't lead to 'A rising tide lifts all boats'.  Wonka, Migration, Anyone But You, Aquaman, Boys in the Boat, Iron Claw and Color Purple have grossed 280m in 2024.  Avatar 2 and Puss in Boots did 413m in 2023.  If you dont have that event film driving the box office it's a huge problem and hard to fill that gap even with more movies.

March 2023 domestic box office was 638m, that's 2009 numbers. And, March 2023 was seen as a very good month. If Dune 2 pulls in John Wick 4 numbers we are in for an awful first 6 months.  Dune 2 or Godzilla v Kong need to be that event movie because we dont have a Mario or even a GOTG3 in the first 6 months this year.  

You can get a 65inch HD Roku TV at Walmart for $298. I spent 36 bucks at McDonalds for myself, gf and kid on Monday just to put into context how little $298 is. It's hard for theaters to compete against that. 

I don’t know if this is 100% actuate, but the last instance I found (non-COVID obviously) where the #1 movie was sub-$7M was Dickie Roberts in September 2003. Before that, was Watcher in week 2, September 2000, and Eye of the Beholder in Jan 2020

Even post-9/11 Hardball managed $9M and $8M in first two weekends 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Hollywood should at least try to put out more worthwhile content on Super Bowl weekends even if Sundays get hit hard. I blamed the Bowl for these hardships beforehand, but this thread made me realize that movies like American Sniper and Taken did surprisingly well even against that behemoth. So evidently the right product can make a living here. It gets numbing to watch the same dry desert at the same weekend every year.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Hollywood should at least try to put out more worthwhile content on Super Bowl weekends even if Sundays get hit hard. I blamed the Bowl for these hardships beforehand, but this thread made me realize that movies like American Sniper and Taken did surprisingly well even against that behemoth. So evidently the right product can make a living here. It gets numbing to watch the same dry desert at the same weekend every year.

Exactly. If you put the right product in the Bowl weekend people will find time in their Bowl schedule to watch. Prioritize Friday, Saturday, matine Sunday or morning and afternoon shows to evening ones. But when you put shit in it they stay home.

4 hours ago, wildphantom said:

I’m shocked LF is opening this bad.  I didn’t even realise it was opening this weekend, and I’m guessing its audience didn’t either. 

Super Bowl has nothing to do with an opening this weak. 

Historically, horror comedy hybrids have always been a tricky genre unless they are unmistakably comedies first and foremost (see: Ghostbusters, Scary Movie, Zombieland). Even cult favorites today like American Psycho and Shaun of the Dead and (for a direct comparison to this movie) Jennifer's Body had to wait until they were out of theaters to truly find an audience.

58 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I kind of said this in some other threads but I do wonder if Turning Red can make $1 million this weekend. Soul made $430,000 the first three days.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Yikes! Just as pointless as a release as Soul. 

There is no point releasing a kid movie available on streaming for any more than $2/ticket.  $1-$2 is the summer kid movie price.  That's what families would pay, knowing they've got popcorn costs also coming.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

There is no point releasing a kid movie available on streaming for any more than $2/ticket.  $1-$2 is the summer kid movie price.  That's what families would pay, knowing they've got popcorn costs also coming.

Not to mention the fact that it has been on D+ for years. Those who would see this are the diehards.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Not to mention the fact that it has been on D+ for years. Those who would see this are the diehards.

And there are approximately only two diehards per showing it seems lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1