filmlover

Weekend Thread: 2/9-11 | Deadline projects Argylle $6.6M Weekend #2, Lisa Frankenstein $4M

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

put this down to an epic marketing fail. This should be opening to minimum $10 million, Super Bowl weekend or not. 

I just read the synopsis and I'm not surprised it tanked. It isn't even for Goths. Such an unappealing concept lol. 

Re: Dune rerlease. 1.7M is really good for it goven that it's been avalibale on streaming for years.

Edited by Valonqar

10 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Someone random on twitter asked why they would release these movies in theaters, and risk getting another black eye to its reputation. I think that it was just generally the right thing to do, and it was worth the roll of the dice. And I personally enjoyed these movies so yeah lol.

Migration is up to almost a 9x multiplier for its 3 day opening and a little over a 6x multiplier on its 4 day opening with Christmas Day Monday.

Anyone But You is even better with multipliers of 15x and almost 10x for its 3 and 4 day openings.

Two very impressive runs even if the numbers have been small for the past few weeks.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, John Marston said:

200M here we come 

This is out in my country on the 23rd. Funnily enough our distributor originally cancelled the theatrical release, but evidently they couldn't resist all the money this was making worldwide and decided to reinstate it, instead of just dumping it on Netflix and thus bypassing the mandatory 5-month theatrical window we have.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

Dune 2 , the savior of box office

Which is honestly hilarious against the backdrop of the source material's story, setting and themes. But yes, the pressure on that movie is going to be insane by the time of its release. But if anyone can handle it, it's Denis the Menace. The tracking thread is going to be a nailbiter for the rest of the month.

22 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I just read the synopsis and I'm not surprised it tanked. It isn't even for Goths. Such an unappealing concept lol. 

Re: Dune rerlease. 1.7M is really good for it goven that it's been avalibale on streaming for years.

it’s a good trailer. It looks like something worth seeing visually.  The ‘Wednesday’ demo just couldn’t have been targeted effectively. It’s not like $10 million is any great bar to hit either. It should be doing that, but Focus have left it out to dry knowing it’s likely not worth the bigger spend as it didn’t cost much to make. 

22 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Someone random on twitter asked why they would release these movies in theaters, and risk getting another black eye to its reputation. I think that it was just generally the right thing to do, and it was worth the roll of the dice. And I personally enjoyed these movies so yeah lol.

Shows good will to Pixar as well, even if it’s not making Disney any money. They’re good at that though these days. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

Argylle was a complete mess.

Rockwell is the only saving grace but he's not enough to carry it.

The action scenes are just so over the top cheesey. Even though I felt each kingsman film was worst than the last, I still enjoyed the action in them and each one had at least 1 memorable action set piece. The 2 big ones here are memorable only in how God awful they are. That CG oil scene is going to haunt my nightmares.

The twists every 5 minutes, twists that undo the last twists that comes off a twist that had undone the previous. It's like a Russian doll of twists each one dumber than the last.

3/10. As much as i hated it, it was still better than night swim.

Even Rockwell was on autopilot. It was totally abysmal. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Shows good will to Pixar as well, even if it’s not making Disney any money. They’re good at that though these days. 

I didn't mention goodwill to Pixar because there is a huge layoff going on there but yeah. Also if Elio kept its place these releases would not be happening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

Anyone But You's 150M+ is a fantastic return to form for romcoms but it also makes me go, holy fucking shit Pretty Woman did $450M+ back in 1990. 

it is fun to look at adjusted grosses. Something like She’s All That with Freddie Prinze adjusts to 132M domestically 

16 minutes ago, John Marston said:

a massive bomb that’s managed to slide under the radar 

This was inevitable from the moment the movie was even revealed. That's why its hopes were dependent on a domestic breakout. That never happened, so here we are.