kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 30.15M KFP IV | 28.50M DUNE II

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Avatar absolutely has cultural impact and the movies are well loved world over. That doesn’t change the fact however that they are primarily FX movies and are very thin in terms of story and character 

You don’t make those kind of numbers without an engaging story and cool characters. You don’t make those kind of numbers only with top notch VFX. The man just needed a couple of scenes to make the audience cheer and root for a whale. This is what we are talking about…

1 hour ago, Mr Roark said:

You don’t make those kind of numbers without an engaging story and cool characters. You don’t make those kind of numbers only with top notch VFX. The man just needed a couple of scenes to make the audience cheer and root for a whale. This is what we are talking about…

How you could be so sure? It's possible the only aspect most people really care are the top notch VFX.

Most people seem to agree that the visuals are the best on Avatar, while the story and characters are serviceable at best.

1 hour ago, Eric Atreides said:

God he's so fucking cool. I wish I was as beautiful and amazing as him :)

-The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999, dir. Anthony Minghella)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

-The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999, dir. Anthony Minghella)

Great movie! Saltburn wishes it could be it. (haven't actually seen Saltburn, but I'm going to assume this is accurate lol)

4 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Great movie! Saltburn wishes it could be it. (haven't actually seen Saltburn, but I'm going to assume this is accurate lol)

There's another adaptation coming in a few weeks on Netflix with Andrew Scott in the Tom Ripley part (that's in black and white because...I don't know. To stylistically differentiate it from the 1999 movie, perhaps?) and it's been pretty amusing seeing a portion of social media thinking it's ripping off Saltburn (ignoring that not only is it based on a book that's been famously adapted before but also went into production before that movie did). Like give me a break lmao.

24 minutes ago, Merkel said:

Actuals for overseas gross were considerably higher than the estimate, so it does make up for the domestic overestimate 

That’s awesome news, but is $700M+ really locked? 

So have we talked about how freakin massive Shrek 5 would be if kfp4 managed this? Because damn, that might just be Hollywoods current biggest goldmine right there 

Edited by MovieMan89

23 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Didn’t Avatar 2 ended up being one of the most streamed movies of the year while also being one of the best selling movies of the year in home media? I’m pretty sure it was also the most pirated movie in 2023. 

Basically it’s succesful in every possible metric that exists, just like the first one, being a juggernaut in box office being only one of it’s metrics. 

People care about these movies, people watch them both in theaters and at home, just say it’s not a meme online next time and call it a day. 

Nah, there’s no pop culture footprint there like your Star Wars, potters, marvel, etc etc etc. Anyone who says otherwise needs to find the huge merch, spin off, multimedia, extended universe, cosplay, and conventions that don’t exist for Avatar or call it a day trying to keep this pointless argument up. It’s beyond tired. They are movies people tune in for, not pop culture things. 

And I’m the one who called A2 being a box office juggernaut when very few here did that first week of release, so I hardly need to be reminded about success metrics. 

Edited by MovieMan89

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

So have we talked about how freakin massive Shrek 5 would be if kfp4 managed this? Because damn, that might just be Hollywoods current biggest goldmine right there 

180M OW is the low end for Shrek 5 imo. 250M+ is totally in the cards if its actually also a good movie.

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Nah, there’s no pop culture footprint there like your Star Wars, potters, marvel, etc etc etc. Anyone who says otherwise needs to find the huge merch, spin off, multimedia, extended universe, cosplay, and conventions that don’t exist for Avatar or call it a day trying to keep this pointless argument up. It’s beyond tired. They are movies people tune in for, not pop culture things. 

And I’m the one who called A2 being a box office juggernaut when very few here did that first week of release, so I hardly need to be reminded about success metrics. 

You do know that there is an entire section of Animal Kingdom based on the original movie that's been visited by millions since it opened nearly 7 years ago (before there were even whispers that Disney would end up inheriting the property through the Fox sale), right?