Eric the Fall Guy

Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire (2024)

Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire (2024)  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

The shot of Kong and Godzilla vs Shimo and Scar King running against each other 😩 I almost went up from my seat like and clapped. Pure cinema🔥 loved that we actually got another fight between Kong and Godzilla that actually lasted a bit. Loved that we got to focus more on Kong while Godzilla was just doing his shit before the 3rd act. I expected to like this but didn’t expect to love it. Honestly want them to spend more time in Hollow Earth going forward

I haven't seen this but don't care about spoilers - to me KOTM and GvK were fun but not really at all "fun bad" in the cheesy, goofy way I like - is this kind of more in the same vein as those two tonally or is it way more hokey?

11 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I haven't seen this but don't care about spoilers - to me KOTM and GvK were fun but not really at all "fun bad" in the cheesy, goofy way I like - is this kind of more in the same vein as those two tonally or is it way more hokey?

I saw it this afternoon and I thought it was a big bright colorful mess but the monster fights were silly fun.  IMO, the fights are goofy in a fun way....Kong using Baby Kong as a weapon silly

The third act kinda fell apart for me a bit. At a certain point, it practically lampshaded any criticism of weightless action scenes by have an actual weightless action scene. Rio looked especially terrible too, almost to the point where I was squinting to try and find AI elements, but I might just be getting too paranoid. 

Lots of fun little moments in this, but ultimately disappointing. More Godzilla next time, please.

On 3/29/2024 at 3:29 AM, SaltyPistola said:

Kong using baby Kong as a blunt weapon might be scene of the year. I fucking died. 

The number of times I've wanted to do that with unruly children and their shitty parents in public places...

Never thought a monsterverse movie would be the one that truly understands me.

Fun times with the monsters (the apes are the MVPs!) and the human cast is serviceable but I found the climax so rushed that it doesn't do the set-up/stakes justice IMO. Just as it starts ramping up, the movie starts sprinting towards wrapping it up as well.

For comparison, the climaxes of G14-KOTM-GvK all felt like these massive setpieces/mini-movies in themselves: San Francisco-Boston-the extended Hong Kong battle. While in GXK:
The Hollow Earth gravity battle and Skar King finally making it to the surface world feels like the 2nd act culmination/lead in to a sprawling 3rd act, but the Rio battle was surprisingly short for me. I can't help but think of when the MUTOs/Ghidorah/MechaG all had their moments of "victory"/putting up a challenge for our heroes.

But enough of that, I'd also like to think of what I did enjoy:

- various monsters battles sprinkled throughout
- the monsters getting to shine and showing their personalities
- nice build up to Skar King!
- Godzilla and Shimo have short and sweet roles, nothing new for the genre.

Overall, I guess a 7/10 for me. (my rankings of the various Monsterverse movies are ever changing hahahaha)

Edited by kaijukurt

9 hours ago, elcaballero said:

The third act kinda fell apart for me a bit. At a certain point, it practically lampshaded any criticism of weightless action scenes by have an actual weightless action scene. Rio looked especially terrible too, almost to the point where I was squinting to try and find AI elements, but I might just be getting too paranoid. 

Lots of fun little moments in this, but ultimately disappointing. More Godzilla next time, please.

Third act was the best part tho....it was like 30 minutes of brawlin 

• Like 1