Eric Loves Rey

Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire (2024)

Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire (2024)  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

This movie was blast. Yeah it is dumb as 10 boxes of rocks but it really does not matter. It just goes for it and says either you are on board with it or not. I think it uses the humans the best besides Skull Island. Dan Stevens is having a blast and  knows  the  the part he is playing. A upgrade from Skarsgard in GVK who makes no impression what so ever in that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really loud and really dumb, but I didn't find this nearly as much fun or as ridiculous as it should've been. I'm sure fans of kaiju battles will enjoy themselves just fine, but for me, it's hard to get invested in a bunch of giant monsters causing billions of dollars in property damage (and almost certainly plenty of casualties) when there's so little dramatic urgency present (with actors, both returning and new to the series, too talented for the material once again showing up as the ultimately thankless humans). Also, I can't be the only one who finds it incredibly annoying that these movies so obviously favor one of the two main titans over the other, right? Godzilla only appears in this movie whenever the script needs him to, not because he's actually integral to the King Kong-centered plot. At least the CGI is superb, as expected,

The biggest issue this has, though, is that it comes on the heels of the vastly superior Godzilla Minus One. That movie actually has stakes and heart to it in addition to the state-of-the-art visual effects (on a much smaller budget to boot), rendering these movies as pale imitators that often come across as less insufferable versions of the Michael Bay Transformers movies but with giant monsters instead of giant robots.

C

Final 30 minutes are fun but the rest is pretty bad. Felt like the bad aspects of the Michael Bay Transformers movies. Brian Tyree Henry also clearly studied Anthony Anderson from the first Transformers with the goal

of creating an even more annoying character than that. Dan Stevens was fun though. 

Edited by John Marston

This movie is just alright. Moved way too fast for my tastes, doesn't stay in one place for terribly long except for a couple of times.

The Fast and Furious films struggle to hold my attention, as do the Transformers films of the 2000's and 2010's. This one ended up having the same effect until the middle of the film when Skar King finally made an appearance. The final battle also felt like it didn't have too many high stakes involved. A certain character's inclusion felt super forced and they don't really do much of anything.

I'm glad a lot of people are loving it, but I'm hoping the next one slows down a little. Wouldn't count on that with the numbers this is generating, though.

It's a C- for me.

Can we mention about the random 70s/80s music cues in this? Like what the hell lmao. So jarring. The obvious influence that Guardians of the Galaxy has had on the whole blockbuster filmmaking genre over what is about to be an entire decade since it was released is truly quite something.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

Just watched a Lizard superplex an Ape. 

5/10  

They really took a lot from Transformers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avatar, The Last AirBender, Avengers 1, and Black Panther(?).

I agree with the comparison to Transformers, at some points during the action scenes my eyes were glazing over a bit, which always happens during Transformers if it’s a CGI fest for too long on screen. 

C too. 

• Astonished 1

How To Ruin A Franchise 101

What an absolute shower of shit. They forego the human story for once, and instead it's 2 hours of the worst monster fights in the series. The CGI is shockingly poor. It looks like a kids videogame or cartoon. None of the monsters feel real, none of the fights have any tension or impact. Nothing has any weight, whether its monsters or buildings.

I recently rewatched the first 4 and Godzilla 2014 and Skull Island are really so good. They are so much more interesting and engaging and fun than this snoozefest. Its really disappointing the films have turned to shit. GvK was tolerable but this just straight up sucked. I don't understand what they are doing with this franchise when we just had the Monarch tv show which was way more in line with the first two movies (and was actually good).

I probably would have liked it if I was 8.

Edited by Avatree
  • ...wtf 1