kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 15.54M GODZILLA×KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE

I may not have loved Civil War, but I've had debates both on here and with two friends who loved it, and it's been a really interesting conversation. It's a thought provoking film. Much better than debating whether Avatar was popular for the 1,000 time.

• Like 8

I really enjoyed Civil War.

I think what it's about might be surprising to those going in blind and expecting something different. Or for those hoping for commentary on modern politics.

It does a lot of really interesting things playing with the audiences expectation while delivering a very well done character and profession study. It's much more about about the humanity of people than about a Civil War. The film is forcing certain viewers to try to force their own politics into it.

Jesse Plemons is also a force of nature on the screen. Every time he shows up in a film no matter the size of the role it's like he magnetizes the viewers and you can feel the energy shift.

8/10

• Like 7

11 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

A very good start for A24 as a foray to PLF screen. Their biggest hit thus far like EEAAO, iron claw or talk to me have been heavily relying on standard screen and therefore leaving the A24 behind in the IMAX/PLF-mania. Having more imax-friendly tentpoles is a must for A24 to go bigger. 

They seem to really be leaning on Garland as a launching pad, I think his next project supporting Ray Mendoza is gonna be their first global distribution effort

Btw I got four ads for Civil War watching Sunday night baseball tonight. The blitz is real. 

Edited by AniNate

17 hours ago, Flopped said:

A24 promoted the hell out of CW and did it smartly.  Their ad on the new Roadhouse was genius.  When you clicked play,  the trailer played with a message about how you're getting this movie ad-free thanks to CW, and that's the only ad you'll get.  Which is weird cuz if you have Prime you don't get any ads, but they twisted it into, thanks to A24's CW, you get to watch this movie add-free, after this trailer

They must have paid a sweet penny for that. 

Hmm? 

Prime absolutely has ads now. They rolled those out a month or 2 ago and force you to pay even more if you want to get rid of them.

12 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

Worldwide, sure.

Domestic is iffier.

What makes you say that? (Genuinely asking, haven't followed this at all). EEAAO's domestic split was ~55%. As you say, Civil War will probably end up in its domestic ballpark. I don't know much about its global release plans, but is it clear that it'll have a higher international % than EEAAO did? (I get that 55% is quite high, so that's not a high bar to clear, but this weekend Civil War only opened in a few markets internationally so I'm curious if the data from those looked promising and/or if we know how its plans for global rollout will look). Studio blockbusters usually have much higher international % than that, but that requires an actual strategy for a global rollout, not sure if we know that A24 is ready for that.

Naive question—"Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead" (2024) released this weekend, and I see some showtimes near me. Why aren't there any numbers for it? Is there just some large delay on reporting any numbers, or do some small distributions just not report any box office results at all?

3 minutes ago, Ziddletwix said:

Naive question—"Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead" (2024) released this weekend, and I see some showtimes near me. Why aren't there any numbers for it? Is there just some large delay on reporting any numbers, or do some small distributions just not report any box office results at all?

Iconic Events Releasing put the movie out, and they frequently don't report box office numbers for their titles. They put The Prank out about a month ago and never gave any data for that one either.

• Thanks 1

A24 only distributed the movie in the US so international #s likely gonna be coming in very piecemeal

EDIT: Screendaily has the scoop, opened to $4.3 international in 17 territories

‘Civil War’ launches with $30m at global box office; ‘Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire’ tops chart again | Screen (screendaily.com)

Per IMDB seems most significant markets were UK and Russia

Edited by AniNate

18 minutes ago, AniNate said:

A24 only distributed the movie in the US so international #s likely gonna be coming in very piecemeal

EDIT: Screendaily has the scoop, opened to $4.3 international in 18 territories

‘Civil War’ launches with $30m at global box office; ‘Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire’ tops chart again | Screen (screendaily.com)

Per IMDB seems most significant markets were UK and Russia

Russia?