kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 15.54M GODZILLA×KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE

A24 promoted the hell out of CW and did it smartly.  Their ad on the new Roadhouse was genius.  When you clicked play,  the trailer played with a message about how you're getting this movie ad-free thanks to CW, and that's the only ad you'll get.  Which is weird cuz if you have Prime you don't get any ads, but they twisted it into, thanks to A24's CW, you get to watch this movie add-free, after this trailer

They must have paid a sweet penny for that. 

Edited by Flopped
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I mean a lot of that discourse was about condemning the movie due to its perceived politics (or lack thereof). I think many of the people fueling it had more interest in stoking controversy for ego's sake than actually seeing it.

In any case HSX had both pegged down for a good while with Monkey Man at around 30mil for four weeks and Civil War at around 60.

And those numbers sounded reasonable at the time too (at least to me). Maybe the niche echo chamber has replaced popular discussion in regards to film? Reminds me of Saltburn - a movie no one saw in theaters, a movie that never landed on the Nielsen streaming charts - yet still got labeled as the movie EVERYONES talking about.

Edited by AJG

14 minutes ago, AJG said:

Between this and Monkey Man, the disparity between films that get actively discussed online and the amount of people actually willing to go see them has been fascinating. I thought Civil War would have a break out $50m OW a month ago.

I think maybe you just had unrealistic expectations? Nothing was indicating even close to 50m opening weekend. It came in on the high end of expectations with 25.7m.

• Like 1

Per Deadline A24 spent $20 mil on Civil War P&A, so maybe it does need a little better than Men legs to come out in the black. Still, that Saturday increase is pretty good evidence word of mouth isn't toxic

They were wise enough not to throw money away on a Super Bowl ad at least unlike Universal 

Edited by AniNate

21 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I wonder how much was the budget for this movie. I guess they spent as little as possible on promotion, since I hadn't heard of this movie until last weekend,

GxK going to be a drag to 200m it looks like. It’s having a good run, but was hoping it would pass G14 with ease after the opening it had. 

Edited by Cookson
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Per Deadline A24 spent $20 mil on Civil War P&A, so maybe it does need a little better than Men legs to come out in the black. Still, that Saturday increase is pretty good evidence word of mouth isn't toxic

They were wise enough not to throw money away on a Super Bowl ad at least unlike Universal 

What did Universal buy an ad for? I don't think it was Fall Guy, whatever it was.

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

From 45% to 29% 🥴

Deadline's walkup estimates suck. I think $200mil still on the table for Panda, definitely is again taking advantage of no other kids movies available

It needs a 5.78 multiplier from this weekend to reach it, but it is now down to the same range where Migration started regularly having 10-30% weekend drops and bounced around the $2-5M range for over a month. KFP4 has four whole weekends as the only major family movie option until IF and then Garfield open, so it could be close but it's still in the cards.

5 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

What did Universal buy an ad for? I don't think it was Fall Guy, whatever it was.

iSpot shows that Universal shelled out as much for TV spots on Monkey Man as Warner’s did for GxK –around $16M. Monkey Man‘s campaign, which launched at SXSW, pulled in 331M impressions to Disney’s 265M impressions on First Omen. iSpot shows the Mouse House spending around $4M in spots. Uni aired spots for Monkey Man on NFL games (30.6%), men’s college basketball (27.0%), NBA (8.3%), women’s college basketball (3.4%) and the show Chicago Fire (2.4%). Most ad impressions for Monkey Man were on CBS (50%), and that’s due to that Monkey Man Super Bowl spot.

20 minutes ago, AniNate said:

It says 20

I've reached the point where I think sports events ad slots are extremely overpriced for what they grant and should be avoided. 

There's a possible exception for WWE (and ONLY WWE, AEW can screw off) wrestling slots, but even those are probably elevated beyond what they should be and film companies should look at alternatives.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

I think maybe you just had unrealistic expectations? Nothing was indicating even close to 50m opening weekend. It came in on the high end of expectations with 25.7m.

Yeah 30 seemed possible but no way in hell 50 was ever a possibility here.

13 minutes ago, Cookson said:

GxK going to be a drag to 200m it looks like. It’s having a good run, but was hoping it would pass G14 with ease after the opening it had. 

It’ll get there eventually in the end. Question is how higher gross than G14’s $200M+ DOM will GxK be at. $202-205M?