kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 15.54M GODZILLA×KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE

Just now, kayumanggi said:

Russia?

Only the big 5 left the market. Everyone else still sells their movies to local distributors.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Only the big 5 left the market. Everyone else still sells their movies to local distributors.

I didn't know that. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

DA everyone in this country watch DEATH OF DECADENT WESTERN EMPIRE OF WOKE RESEARCHES. Please make sequel with Steven Seagal.

22 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

The US numbers look pretty good to me.

They are pretty good for A24 and original R film. but the budget is too big and international numbers are meh

I

Edited by cinema pal

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

Russia?

Distribution rights were likely sold before the trade embargo (or boycott or whatever?). Same thing happened with John Wick 4.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cinema pal said:

They are pretty good for A24 and original R film. but the budget is too big and international numbers are meh

I

All A24 is concerned about is domestic numbers, they sold off all the international distribution rights. $20mil P&A per Deadline so if it has at least not horrible legs they would be happy with that I'm sure. Would be a much better outcome than Garland's last couple movies, not to mention last year's biggish budget April release from them.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

41 minutes ago, AJG said:

Distribution rights were likely sold before the trade embargo (or boycott or whatever?). Same thing happened with John Wick 4.

Ukrainian Cinema Union Calls Out Lionsgate, A24 and More for Releasing Films in Russia, Claims It Supports ‘Terrorism’ (Variety, May 18 2023):

Contracts for many foreign films that have sold to Russia were signed prior to the Ukraine invasion. Others find their way to the country’s cinemas through convoluted routes, often through subsidiaries of Russian distribution companies based in other jurisdictions or via third-party distributors. (The Russian release of “John Wick 4,” for instance, was handled by Unicorn Media, a company registered in Malta.)

Lionsgate did say they wouldn't do further business in Russia. Third party arrangements are still legal, however...

“We’ve been discussing these arguments for months between sales agents. The reality is that it’s far more financially lucrative to continue trading with Russia than lose out if the films were to be pirated,” said the sales rep, requesting anonymity. Regarding deals inked before the Ukraine invasion, they added: “Leading into 2023 we can just barely continue to claim deals were signed before the war. For new titles it will be difficult to continue using this argument.”

I don't think typical A24 fan would like it at all if they're doing new business in Russia right now...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

Btw Ari Aster is right back to work on Eddington, so clearly both he and Garland carry a certain enough personal respect in A24 circles that falling just below breakeven wouldn't be enough to deter them from continuing their support

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I don't think typical A24 fan would like it at all if they're doing new business in Russia right now...

I mean that article is dated nearly a year ago. If people didn't care that much then they're probably never going to.

Tbh, I do think the majors pulling out was primarily a PR move when the invasion was hot on everyone's minds and social media ragers were keeping score on who was still doing business in Russia and who wasn't. As long as the war is still going on of course it will be bad PR again if they return, but if anyone was truly going to suffer consequences for never stopping their business in Russia they would've faced them by now.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Btw Ari Aster is right back to work on Eddington, so clearly both he and Garland carry a certain enough personal respect in A24 circles that falling just below breakeven wouldn't be enough to deter them from continuing their support

Aster gave A24 two of their most popular films, which both made many times their budgets. And he now has Oscar winners lining up to work with him. 

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Aster gave A24 two of their most popular films, which both made many times their budgets. And he now has Oscar winners lining up to work with him. 

Are you intending to imply you don't think Garland is as on good a standing? He got their biggest budget and their biggest opening weekend, so far I'm pretty sure everything has been going to plan here.