Eric Quinn

Longlegs | Neon | Nicolas Cage horror movie | July 12, 2024

Saw this at a free showing in Chicago this past Thursday. Trailers are accurate but also hide ALOT. Excellent marketing for this trailer. It will be interesting to see how it performs. Below is a spoiler free review...keeping it in the spoilers because I just want to be safe with sharing. :) 

Spoiler

Film is very creepy and keeps you on your toes throughout. I have never jumped more in a movie than this. You do not see the jumps coming which is very fun but gives you intense anxiety throughout the film. I wouldn't call the film scary but rather disturbing. Nicholas Cage really made my stomach turn. It also isn't gory....the atmosphere and sound is the horror factor. The third act kind of misses but doesn't flop or derail the film. Lead actress is fantastic. 

• Like 2

Still at 100% on RT with 16 reviews. Yeah, only 16 reviews, but when you combine it with the immaculate marketing I feel like this could blow up a bit. Like a mini Get Out, perhaps.

On 7/2/2024 at 12:57 PM, Hiccup23 said:

Saw this at a free showing in Chicago this past Thursday. Trailers are accurate but also hide ALOT. Excellent marketing for this trailer. It will be interesting to see how it performs. Below is a spoiler free review...keeping it in the spoilers because I just want to be safe with sharing. :) 

Hide contents

Film is very creepy and keeps you on your toes throughout. I have never jumped more in a movie than this. You do not see the jumps coming which is very fun but gives you intense anxiety throughout the film. I wouldn't call the film scary but rather disturbing. Nicholas Cage really made my stomach turn. It also isn't gory....the atmosphere and sound is the horror factor. The third act kind of misses but doesn't flop or derail the film. Lead actress is fantastic. 

Do you think it's getting a good CinemaScore?

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

So does the Longlegs title refer to the killer or Maika Monroe's body?:sparta:

It refers to this movie’s multiplier once WOM gets out

• Astonished 1

16 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Do you think it's getting a good CinemaScore?

I have honestly no idea. I can see GA audiences loving this like It Follows or absolutely hating it 

Spoiler

because of the third act

My gut is gonna say but high RT audience score 

Spoiler

C+

The very choosy review embargo is weird to me. They're focusing on social media reactions and lower brow (and/or genre-focused) publications, but it's not like traditional critics are likely to trash the film, and as a "prestige"-oriented horror movie you'd think there'd be some motivation to get the word out via traditional media and higher brow publications. Despite 20 RT reviews, the movie doesn't have enough Metacritic reviews to calculate a score yet, which gives some indication of the imbalance in the types of publications that have been able to review it thus far. Maybe they just want to preserve that 100% RT score for as long as possible? The marketing in general has been really great, but I have to wonder if they're chasing the wrong niche of potential audiences.

It feels like they're wanting to cultivate some simulacrum of Hereditary-style pre-release buzz (in terms of "this is the scariest movie ever" and just general acclaim), but without the festival presence that actually gave that film that buzz, and, at least presently, without the big name critics/publications championing it the way they did Hereditary (because the critics that could serve that role seem to be separately embargoed or haven't been screened it). Besides, the sheer level of critical adoration towards Hereditary is virtually unattainable, what with its 87 Metacritic score and all.

Whatever Neon is cooking, I hope it works out. This seems like one of their better chances at box office success. I, Tonya came out in 2017 and has only been surpassed by one of their movies since then.

6 hours ago, harrisonisdead said:

The very choosy review embargo is weird to me. They're focusing on social media reactions and lower brow (and/or genre-focused) publications, but it's not like traditional critics are likely to trash the film, and as a "prestige"-oriented horror movie you'd think there'd be some motivation to get the word out via traditional media and higher brow publications. Despite 20 RT reviews, the movie doesn't have enough Metacritic reviews to calculate a score yet, which gives some indication of the imbalance in the types of publications that have been able to review it thus far. Maybe they just want to preserve that 100% RT score for as long as possible? The marketing in general has been really great, but I have to wonder if they're chasing the wrong niche of potential audiences.

It feels like they're wanting to cultivate some simulacrum of Hereditary-style pre-release buzz (in terms of "this is the scariest movie ever" and just general acclaim), but without the festival presence that actually gave that film that buzz, and, at least presently, without the big name critics/publications championing it the way they did Hereditary (because the critics that could serve that role seem to be separately embargoed or haven't been screened it). Besides, the sheer level of critical adoration towards Hereditary is virtually unattainable, what with its 87 Metacritic score and all.

Whatever Neon is cooking, I hope it works out. This seems like one of their better chances at box office success. I, Tonya came out in 2017 and has only been surpassed by one of their movies since then.

I think the marketing is what will carry this unless the reviews really crater somehow once top critics start chiming in.

No matter what I'm pretty hyped for it though. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

I saw it this morning, it is GOOD, not great. The hype reactions really oversold it but it's still a solid film...just never got under my skin or freaked me out too much.

Spoiler

Third act progression and explanation of everything I found pretty unconvincing personally.

• Like 3

This is only getting one proper evening showtime at my local cinema and in the smallest room. 

You can tell schools are off here. 

Dying to see this. Especially after In A Violent Nature being a huge let down. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 7:23 AM, Krissykins said:

This is only getting one proper evening showtime at my local cinema and in the smallest room. 

You can tell schools are off here. 

Dying to see this. Especially after In A Violent Nature being a huge let down. 

Update! 

Got an email from the cinema they’ve had to move my showing to a room twice as big at the same time. Never had that before, could be on to a nice opening here.

Also, they took an evening showing off In A Violent Nature and gave it to Longlegs. 

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Update! 

Got an email from the cinema they’ve had to move my showing to a room twice as big at the same time. Never had that before, could be on to a nice opening here.

Also, they took an evening showing off In A Violent Nature and gave it to Longlegs. 

Promising!

• Like 1

So far I just had no time to report but very strong presales in my theaters too and the number of shows jumped from 13 on Saturday to 34 (!) on Tuesday. Theaters noticed that there's interest. 

Edited by el sid