kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 27.75M THE FALL GUY | 8.72M SW: EP I - TPM | 7.59M CHALLENGERS | 6.50M TAROT

I know this is rich coming from me, but I just really, really don't think we should read too much into the future of Hollywood based on the Fall Guy in either direction. 

• Like 1

It's definitely a weak start to summer but short of forcing Deadpool & Wolverine into having an accelerated production to meet its original date this weekend there was probably only so much that could've been done given what was ready and what wasn't going to be. The rest of May seems more promising though Apes and Furiosa remain wild cards.

12 minutes ago, Kon said:

I'm not sure Gen Z and Tiktokers really crave originality. There are many original movies that go unnoticed for them 

They crave for exciting things. That's why movies have become dependent on IP, because it's easier to be excited about a known IP.

They crave for originality... but within the IP space. 

Regular Barbie movie? Meh

Regular Margot Robbie movie? Meh

Regular Greta Gerwig movie? Hmm... meh

Barbie movie starring Margot Robbie and directed by Greta Gerwig?

vince-vince-mcmahon.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Apes might be the most over marketed movie of the summer and I still don’t know what the hook is beyond looking kind of like a redux of the Heston original. If it gets in the 80’s on RT, I could see it moving the needle - but honestly the tea leaves for those early reactions felt a little closer to the 60’s range. I guess I’ll take a wait & see approach just to be cautious

Furiosa really could go either way, I think they just need to rev up (ha!) the marketing up a notch

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

The box office numbers disprove that, so why are people still trying to push that inane notion? They put out originals throughout the entire month of April, and they are not even going to outgross the Mean Girls musical that came out in January. Audiences today support IP way more than audiences in any other time throughout history. Excuses about not having the opportunity to support original stories because of studios not putting out original content are null and void                                                                

"Look at all these memes about this thing no one cares about" 

Remember: NCIS, Heartland, and Virgin River are three of the most streamed TV shows in America. They don't trend or go viral but people actually watch them. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I have always been a 'glass is half full' person but I truly believe this. Gen Z and tiktokers crave originality above all. This is actually an exciting time because studios are being forced out of the cookie cutter mcdonald's for every one type of approach. 

Think of all genius and longstanding success that came out of the creative risks taken in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Feel like we are trending towards a period with that type of consumer demand again. It is a GREAT thing that last years biggest hits - Barbie, Spider-verse, Oppenheimer, Guardians 3, Wonka etc were all 80s or 90s on RT. Maverick, The Batman, Avatar in 2022.

Feel like this all going to pay big dividends in 2 or 3 years from now.  

Uh. I'll take your word for it. Not sure a Barbie movie, the 3rd Wonka movie, the 3rd Guardians movie, the 2nd Spider-verse movie, a Super Mario movie or Anoyone But You being a sleeper hit movie screams originality to me though. Or, the 3rd Minions movie (6th Despicable Me thing) that benefitted from Gentle Minions either for that matter.

Is Gen Z obsessed with EEAAO and Poor Things?

What are the movies that have this originality that are benefitting?

• Like 5

Captain America was supposed to release this weekend. Get a Happy Meal today and you'll get a Captain America toy.  I don't know if bad test screening or The Marvels bombing scared Disney off the date since the movie was done.

1 minute ago, JimmyB said:

Captain America was supposed to release this weekend. Get a Happy Meal today and you'll get a Captain America toy.  I don't know if bad test screening or The Marvels bombing scared Disney off the date since the movie was done.

I’ll be shocked if this isn’t the biggest bomb of ‘25. Even Thunderbolts has more novelty

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

Cruise hasn't been a draw outside of MI and TG in ages and he knows it. The Mummy, Valkarie, Knight & Day, Jack Reacher, American Made, Oblivion, even the great Edge of Tomorrow...none of them set the b.o. on fire. 

I feel like that crappy Mummy movie wouldn't have touched 400M without Cruise. Also compared Jack Reacher's gross to other thrillers. 

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Apes might be the most over marketed movie of the summer and I still don’t know what the hook is beyond looking kind of like a redux of the Heston original. If it gets in the 80’s on RT, I could see it moving the needle - but honestly the tea leaves for those early reactions felt a little closer to the 60’s range. I guess I’ll take a wait & see approach just to be cautious

Furiosa really could go either way, I think they just need to rev up (ha!) the marketing up a notch

I've seen an endless amount of Furiosa ads on TV this past week. The studio certainly isn't going cheap on the marketing for it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

I would say those reactions for Apes feel like in the 80's. The problem is there were not many of them and the review embargo being held until Wednesday. Disney could be controlling the narrative here. I really hope not but it is possible.

I think it is true that studios have been investing more in creator-driven ideas recently. April slate ofc and, even though it may not be one this forum cares for, I think IF definitely counts in that regard. I hate Zaslav with the fury of a thousand suns but I have to concede their early 25 slate of Mickey 17, the Coogler project, Alto Knights, and Flowervale Street definitely epitomizes the kind of originality-driven model film cynics claim they want.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

The vibe is really different this weekend compared to last weekend…

What is the difference?

There is most certainly much less random TV directors doing Marvel size projects in the next couple years - very auteur driven IP and originals both. Even the Quiet Place prequel has a hot directorial name!

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Kon said:

What is the difference?

Much more somber/the sky is falling vibe and much more discussion about IP/nostalgic toy commercials as usual, vs the same small group of people honing in on a specific lead for who they are or for what type of they’re starring in (especially now that it’s having good numbers).

Edited by Speedorito
  • Like 1

Should IF get good reviews (given how much Paramount's been pushing it, a possibility) I don't think a $30M+ opening is that big of a stretch. This and Garfield are also different enough that they can co-exist.

Back to Black (though this doing well in the UK is probably all that matters to the producers) and The Strangers: Chapter 1 are definitely looking like nonstarters that same weekend though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

There is most certainly much less random TV directors doing Marvel size projects in the next couple years - very auteur driven IP and originals both. Even the Quiet Place prequel has a hot directorial name!

Eh, as much as I loved Pig idk if its director is considered hot atm. Maybe after AQP’s release.

with you on the first part though. That recent Hollywood Reporter article about director jail confirmed that basically.