Eric S'ennui

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (2024) Spoiler Thread

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (2024)  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

19 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

What I’m gathering from this thread so far is that Freya Allan is the most contentious part of the film. I didn’t think her performance was especially great, but I wouldn’t say she was distractingly bad. If she’s being set up as a major antagonist of these new movies though, then that makes Proximus Caesar’s apparent death rather disappointing. 

Was her performance great? Not really but not terrible as some seem to be saying. But I will take her any day over whatever the hell James Franco was doing in Rise. He was just doing his normal weird thing where it's like he took hit off a bong before action was called. Honestly none of the human performances have been great or memorable in these last 4 movies and yet they are  all good to great movies.

7 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Was her performance great? Not really but not terrible as some seem to be saying. But I will take her any day over whatever the hell James Franco was doing in Rise. He was just doing his normal weird thing where it's like he took hit off a bong before action was called. Honestly none of the human performances have been great or memorable in these last 4 movies and yet they are  all good to great movies.

I really liked Woody Harrelson in War. Thought he brought a good unhinged energy to it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

I really liked Woody Harrelson in War. Thought he brought a good unhinged energy to it.

Was going to say that. Wish he was in more of the movie. He only has like 3 major scenes or so.

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

What I’m gathering from this thread so far is that Freya Allan is the most contentious part of the film. I didn’t think her performance was especially great, but I wouldn’t say she was distractingly bad. If she’s being set up as a major antagonist of these new movies though, then that makes Proximus Caesar’s apparent death rather disappointing. 

She was fine with what she had I thought. This isn't an actor's movie regardless.

On 5/13/2024 at 4:42 AM, emoviefan said:

James Franco>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Freya.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

On 5/12/2024 at 10:42 PM, emoviefan said:

I really liked Jason Clarke in Dawn

• Like 1

Oh man this movie was GREAT. Too many compliments on it to pick just one. This is definitely one of the most consistent franchises of recent memory, especially impressive given how different each one feels

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

There was some stuff I really liked about this but in the end I just couldn't really get all that excited about the whole. A decent entry but probably the weakest of the modern ape films for me. Some really dull pacing in the middle and a weak climax.

Noticed a lot of references to the 1968 original (the hunt scene, the scarecrows/ost at the bridge, doll scene).

Edited by JustLurking

Rewatched the reboot series this past week and it holds up great, love all the appreciation that people are showing for it. It's great to get a quality blockbuster series that doesn't treat the audience like they're stupid. Rise is still by far my favorite, I like the "genre-y" vibe of it, and Caesar's prison break story is a high that this series is never gonna match. Seriously, it's pure blood pumping electric moviemaking and it just WORKS. I was drunk last Saturday night and cheering for Caesar like an 8 year old lol

Anyways Kingdom is very good and a genuinely fun action adventure story. Liked all the new characters, Raka is by far the best and better be coming back. Main actress was fine, good enough. It begrudges me to admit Wes Ball is probably a good choice for Zelda (still don't have any faith in the writer and producer though). This series has also had some great villains between the last 3 movies. Koba, The Colonel and Proximus are all super compelling and fun to watch.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So, yeah, this was pretty good. I had some issues with all the copious amounts of dialogue and would have liked more silence now and again. Otherwise, if anything, it was well shot and a great visual experience.

Full Review - https://www.dansden.net/reviews/xk9atwz5pj5m873fsdx7stp628yybc

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

I liked Freya Allen. #shrug

Overall a solid movie. Minute 20 to minute 60 was a drag (my friend fell asleep), but it was very engaging besides that. Thought each side was compelling, with Mae wanting to help reclaim the planet and Noa being very cautious of a human comeback story.

1 hour ago, KGPatt2 said:

Do you guys think Mae had the Simian Flu at the end, and that's why she wasn't allowed back in the compound? Was it a "suicide" mission?

I thought the idea was that she and Treviathan were immune. 

22 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I thought the idea was that she and Treviathan were immune. 

Maybe, but she was met by the woman in a haz suit and was never shown to enter the bunker. Could be immune but the humans don't know people are immune to the feral variant yet.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, KGPatt2 said:

Maybe, but she was met by the woman in a haz suit and was never shown to enter the bunker. Could be immune but the humans don't know people are immune to the feral variant yet.

She's likely a carrier even though immune to the secondary mutation whereas the people in the bunker presumably are not immune.

So they keep her away to prevent infection 

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 3