kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 58.40M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES | 13.70M THE FALL GUY | 4.38M CHALLENGERS | TAROT

7 minutes ago, Unfitclock said:

The overseas hold for a lot of films this weekend were really bad for some reason aren’t there holidays going on in overseas markets or has that not happend yet

The weather has been glorious this weekend, and unlike in the US, Europeans generally want to be outdoors rather than in a cinema when good weather occurs.

The UK in particular hasn’t been particularly strong for Apes, it’s down quite a bit compared to the previous three. Hopefully it rebounds and holds well next week as the weather deteriorates.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SnokesLegs said:

unlike in the US, Europeans generally want to be outdoors rather than in a cinema when good weather occurs.

Well the US is big and half the population lives in climates where the weather is pretty nice year round, so if it is nicer in more seasonal climates for a weekend it wouldn't manifest as much in subdued box office receipts. 

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I mean, idk, clearly they're gambling on there being pent-up demand for a kids movie. There definitely was with Panda 4 and tracking is notoriously bad with that genre. They may very well know something we don't.

I mean yeah not saying demand for IF may not be there but paying the extra 5-10 bucks per person for a large formant showing when you know  inflation and people have to be selective with what they chose to see or not. Will see

9 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Yeah I really like both movies and neither one of them deserves the results they are getting or got. 

It probably helps that part of D&D’s failure was due to its release date. If they had released it in December 2022 as counter-programming to Avatar 2, I think it could have done $350-$400M WW. 

18 minutes ago, Squire said:

D&D last year was a greater injustice. Better critical and audience reception, too. 

This still makes me sad up to this day. This is one of the most fun movie experiences I've had recently. Too bad we won't get a sequel.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Squire said:

D&D last year was a greater injustice. Better critical and audience reception, too. 

It’s frustrating because people keep claiming they want non Superhero fun action adventure films yet don’t go and see them when they come out. Dungeons and Dragons was kind of doomed by its brand though 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Unfitclock said:

The overseas hold for a lot of films this weekend were really bad for some reason aren’t there holidays going on in overseas markets or has that not happend yet

Fantastic weather for the first time in many months in most of europe. One of the biggest reasons IMO

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AniNate said:

So looks like we are gonna fall a bit short of the 2023 weekend comp. I don't think IF is gonna open to Fast X numbers so next hope there looks like it's gonna be people embracing the Garfuriosa meme.

Furious Pussy for the win

32 minutes ago, Unfitclock said:

Summertime in Europe is different than the states. More people want to go outside.

Posted (edited)

I have always had the position that the beginning of May is overrated as a blockbuster release frame. It's a gamble if the weather is decent enough at that point to get people in the "summer mood", and if it is they'd likely rather not be spending it in a theater. It's sunny but not hot enough yet that they want to spend it in AC

Edited by AniNate

Good weather mainly affects kids / family movies. At least in my country. After first trailer I was predicting 170M WW-China for Fall Guy and 330-360M WW-China for Apes. Genuinely don't think these numbers are surprising. When you look at 2010s trends and then at last two years...

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I have always had the position that the beginning of May is overrated as a blockbuster release frame. It's a gamble if the weather is decent enough at that point to get people in the "summer mood", and if it is they'd likely rather not be spending it in a theater

Best day to open movie is definitely the first weekend of June when summer weekdays are in full swing.

Edited by Mojoguy

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

I have always had the position that the beginning of May is overrated as a blockbuster release frame. It's a gamble if the weather is decent enough at that point to get people in the "summer mood", and if it is they'd likely rather not be spending it in a theater

Marvel had no problem making it a blockbuster w/e for over a decade.  The weather is only an issue of it's not a blockbuster (or as someone once said "an event") but only budgeted like one. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Marvel had no problem making it a blockbuster w/e for over a decade.  The weather is only an issue of it's not a blockbuster (or as someone once said "an event") but only budgeted like one. 

Sure, they made it their thing through annual tradition (and I think Iron Man would've been a hit wherever), but I still think it's not really an ideal release frame in a vacuum. Schools aren't out yet and warm weather is still a novelty.

9 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I have always had the position that the beginning of May is overrated as a blockbuster release frame. It's a gamble if the weather is decent enough at that point to get people in the "summer mood", and if it is they'd likely rather not be spending it in a theater. It's sunny but not hot enough yet that they want to spend it in AC

Actually the first week of May has plenty of public holiday in many overseas market. It is not just labour day but also Ascension day or V day in many part of European, children day in SK and many more. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Actually the first week of May has plenty of public holiday in many overseas market. It is not just labour day but also Ascension day or V day in many part of European, children day in SK and many more. 

From that perspective sure, I can understand releasing movies then, but idk everyone made this about weather. Are big drops typical off those holidays?