kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 58.40M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES | 13.70M THE FALL GUY | 4.38M CHALLENGERS | TAROT

That's a pretty darn good domestic opening... thought this brand would not carry over that well after the Ceasar trilogy wrapped. Was honestly expecting $40m opening before I saw what it was tracking for here.

17 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

That's pretty good for this. Crossing 300M WW easily I guess right? Pretty good indeed, and almost 60M DOM? Great.

This really followed Rise of the Beasts last year lock and step. A soft reboot that opens well above BOT expectations and overperforms to ~60M. Probably going for a similar total. All told, good stuff all around for it.

• Like 2

Kingdom beating War's domestic opening is a pretty big win all things considered: It's been six years since War, Kingdom doesn't feature any big stars that automatically bring in audiences, and there was never the impression that people were clamoring for another movie since War wrapped things up pretty nicely. After seeing the first trailer for Kingdom I thought there was a chance it could open in the mid-30s range, so 58.5 is a great tally imo. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Even if it falls off a cliff afterwards, the fact that this movie opened to almost $60M is nothing short of a miracle. It had so much going against it: It continues a story that was-by all accounts-perfectly concluded years ago, it has to deal with the absence and massive shadows of both Matt Reeves and Andy Serkis, and none of the promotional material left much of an impact. I was pretty confident it'll fall flat on its face with a $30M opening. I was thankfully proven wrong. Wes Ball especially must be overjoyed, as this impressive opening should give Nintendo and Sony all the motivation they need to get started on his Zelda movie.

• Like 1

There's just something about the Planet of the Apes concept that gives it enduring appeal. Really stands out from other blockbuster-sized franchises. Ultimately not surprised this one also beat expectations.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mikeymichael said:

Kingdom beating War's domestic opening is a pretty big win all things considered: It's been six years since War, Kingdom doesn't feature any big stars that automatically bring in audiences, and there was never the impression that people were clamoring for another movie since War wrapped things up pretty nicely. After seeing the first trailer for Kingdom I thought there was a chance it could open in the mid-30s range, so 58.5 is a great tally imo. 

Yeah it really is a great number when accounting for many of the things working against it.

In this Box Office age, a long-running franchise opening on par with its pre-pandemic entry is a huge win in my eyes

• Like 1

Will say though I never bought the more pessimistic sub-100 predictions people had over this. Like even if the last movie underperformed, it was still well-liked and the franchise is more popular than ever. There's even a bit of a nostalgia cycle going on with the Caesar trilogy that certainly helped this movie out. Like even if the film had like 45% or something on Rotten Tomatoes, it would have still opened to 40M+ on the brand popularity alone IMO.

• Like 3

FANTASTIC opening for Apes after so much doomposting over the cinemascore.

$58.5m is 2m higher than the estimates. When was the last time a movie was underestimated so much over opening weekend?

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

more like a small cult film. Which is fine. No where close to cultural phenomenon

Nah, couldn’t be. Cult films aren’t usually instant. They need time to build a following and to be reevaluated. 

• Like 2

Anyone noticed that Apes has a more causal audience? Less fanboys means less decline over sequels. 

I've never see many Apes fanboys like. Unlike something like the DCEU which had 70% fanboys by the end with massive declines in boxoffice, Apes probably like 10% fanboys while the rest are causal audiences who may or may not have seen the orginal movie.

1 hour ago, Eric the Ape said:

This really followed Rise of the Beasts last year lock and step. A soft reboot that opens well above BOT expectations and overperforms to ~60M. Probably going for a similar total. All told, good stuff all around for it.

I'd be pretty happy with almost anywhere between $155-175 mil

• Like 1

I have three ways it could go:

if it matches the CinemaScore, or the worst case scenario:

122m domestic, 2.1x legs, 150m international, for a 272m WW total. (I think it could have to massively collapse for this to happen, even with the B CinemaScore)

my more average prediction:

160.8m domestic, 2.75x legs, 250m international, for a 410m WW total. 

my most optimistic projection:

181.5m domestic, 3.1x legs, 350m international, for a 531 WW total (not likely but it is an optimistic prediction)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I really think this is more like a Civil War situation where a B represents general reserved appreciation more than fanboy coping elevating a more negative general consensus 

Edited by AniNate