AniNate

ANORA | Neon / Sean Baker | Palme d'Or winner, limited release 10/18

Went to see this tonight and I did enjoy it, but not as much as hoped.

Why is Sean Baker writing his lead character saying the F slur? Twice and in context both times? Really took me out of it. 

Mikey Madison was great and it starts off hilarious, but then drags and the Russian guys get grating real fast. 

3/5

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Why is Sean Baker writing his lead character saying the F slur? Twice and in context both times? Really took me out of it. 

Mikey Madison was great and it starts off hilarious, but then drags and the Russian guys get grating real fast. 

3/5

i don't think it matters if offensive , but reminds of Licorice Pizza putting in a scene mocking Asians for no real reason

43 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i don't think it matters if offensive , but reminds of Licorice Pizza putting in a scene mocking Asians for no real reason

Oh I haven’t seen that, strange though. 

Took me out of it because sex workers are generally pretty progressive. 

11 hours ago, Krissykins said:

What is the context that she says it in? 

It's possible she's really intimidated by the goons and is defensively lashing out to put on a fake front of bravado.

On 10/11/2024 at 4:53 AM, kayumanggi said:

I don't know why I bothered looking at the YT comment section. As it's being marketed as a "bad ass Cinderella story" and "realistic Pretty Woman", ppl are legit mad at the prospect of a sex worker hooking a rich guy

In retrospect, how did Pretty Woman even become a hit? Have we somehow become even more misogynistic and classist since the early 90s?

4 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

What is the context that she says it in? 

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

She calls a guy a “----” because he won’t give her a pill. Then challenged, she says “I don’t know, just a ----, people say they’re born that way.”

Then later she says to someone else “I knew you weren’t going to rape me, because you’re a ---- ass little pussy”.

Neither are said during moments of confrontation. They’re actually two of the quietest/calmest moments in the film. 

It’s disappointing. 

4 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

In retrospect, how did Pretty Woman even become a hit? Have we somehow become even more misogynistic and classist since the early 90s?

Uh. Yeah, Do not want too get political on a non political thread but I think that is being proven every day right now.

19 hours ago, Krissykins said:

3/5

Well, that explains Sean Baker giving his opinion on the current state of film: Sean Baker Laments “Few And Far Between” Films Not Focused On “Explosions” And “Superheroes”

I feel like directors only complain about the state of film when audiences aren't reacting to their own film as positively as they hoped.

I mean, these dame kinds of movies were around during the release of The Florida Project, if not more so, but that film was lauded, so Baker had no reason to go on the attack.

8 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Well, that explains Sean Baker giving his opinion on the current state of film: Sean Baker Laments “Few And Far Between” Films Not Focused On “Explosions” And “Superheroes”

I feel like directors only complain about the state of film when audiences aren't reacting to their own film as positively as they hoped.

I mean, these dame kinds of movies were around during the release of The Florida Project, if not more so, but that film was lauded, so Baker had no reason to go on the attack.

Let me get that straight: you believe that Sean Baker is "going on the attack" against superhero movies for the sole reason that his own film, which won the Palme d'Or and is one of the most lauded films of the year, was mildly disappointing to someone on a box office forum?

33 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Let me get that straight: you believe that Sean Baker is "going on the attack" against superhero movies for the sole reason that his own film, which won the Palme d'Or and is one of the most lauded films of the year, was mildly disappointing to someone on a box office forum?

Yes and no? Just because a film wins the Palme D'Or or is highly lauded, that doesn't mean it's is going to be as successful in the same way as a film like Poor Things.

I don't think it's going to break out in the mainstream in the same way The Florida Project or even Tangerine (to an extent) did. I hope I'm wrong.

And my point wasn't that person's opinion. I highlighted the F-slur sentence for a reason. I think this may be a film that works more for cinephiles that regular audiences, and I highlighted the part of his opinion that makes me think that. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

I'm excited to see the film when it finally comes out around me. But I'm not going to pretend that directors don't attack the state of film culture the most when their films aren't getting the mainstream recognition they think they deserve, and maybe even should deserve. Mostly because a ton of films without explosions or superheroes come out every year.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul

Neither The Florida Project nor Tangerine broke out in the mainstream. Unlike those, Anora is actually going to have a wide theatrical release, and it wouldn't even have to break out big to outgross their combined box office multiple times over. And this:

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

But I'm not going to pretend that directors don't attack the state of film culture the most when their films aren't getting the mainstream recognition they think they deserve, and maybe even should deserve. 

is nonsense. Directors offer their thoughts when asked for them, and Baker is "attacking" (more like very gently lamenting, if you actually read his quote) the state of the industry because he is having his first big moment in the spotlight this year, and more and bigger outlets are going to ask him for his perception of the larger state of cinema. It has nothing whatsoever to do with any made-up grievance over "mainstream recognition".

• Like 1

On 10/12/2024 at 6:10 PM, Krissykins said:

3/5

Thanks for the review. It's so frustrating when Hollywood talks about films sweeping the Oscars before anyone even really gets to see it.

9 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

you're looking for logic where there is none

• Like 1

On 10/13/2024 at 6:26 AM, Spidey Freak said:

I don't know why I bothered looking at the YT comment section. As it's being marketed as a "bad ass Cinderella story" and "realistic Pretty Woman", ppl are legit mad at the prospect of a sex worker hooking a rich guy

Yes. Exactly that.

A poll came out yesterday that showed that 21% of 18-29ers think Hitler had good ideas. Fascism is more popular than ever throughout the world. Elon Musk owns the most popular social media site in the world and has been proven to deliberatley use it to support alt-right conspiracies. Donald Trump spouted the most despicable and moronic things possible, stuff that would have been ignored and discarded only a decade ago, and he is still only one or two points behind Kamala in every out there. And trust me, he's gonna win.

Fascism and bigotry has frankly gotten so much worse over the last decade. 25% of the country are Alex Jones-types. Roe v Wade was something a majority of the country was horrified to see overturned. But now? I'm convinced most champion it, because heaven forbid women have a choice. Probably means bad news for this movie's box office. Oh well!

Looking at a YouTube comment section under a movie trailer and using that as basis for grand conclusions about some abstract "we" seems like a pretty absurd thing to do but maybe that's just me.

I also thought why Pretty Woman was a hit couldn't be more obvious. It turned a sex worker's experience into a romantic fairy tale.

32 minutes ago, Eric the Clown said:

Yes. Exactly that.

A poll came out yesterday that showed that 21% of 18-29ers think Hitler had good ideas. Fascism is more popular than ever throughout the world. Elon Musk owns the most popular social media site in the world and has been proven to deliberatley use it to support alt-right conspiracies. Donald Trump spouted the most despicable and moronic things possible, stuff that would have been ignored and discarded only a decade ago, and he is still only one or two points behind Kamala in every out there. And trust me, he's gonna win.

Fascism and bigotry has frankly gotten so much worse over the last decade. 25% of the country are Alex Jones-types. Roe v Wade was something a majority of the country was horrified to see overturned. But now? I'm convinced most champion it, because heaven forbid women have a choice. Probably means bad news for this movie's box office. Oh well!

I like how you added that last part just to barely make this whole pointless rant on topic.

• Like 1