kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

3 minutes ago, Kon said:

I wouldn't jump so fast on that.

I mean, Marvel will have big success with Deadpol 3 in 2024, but they will have Captain America 4 (with Sam) and Thunderbolts for 2025.

We'll see definitely. I'm not as down on those as most seem here.

8 minutes ago, AniNate said:

If it's a good movie it can cost $1 billion for all I or anyone not directly invested in it should care

You're rigth. If people aren't interested on a continuation or a sequel for that story, there isn't a reason why the audience should care about the budget,

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Funny people had a lot to say about "TLM" but that MD Holiday Opening is looking like Gold right now.  

Same thing happened with GOTG 3. The trades took a while to accept the BO just isn’t what it used to be and likely won’t recover.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AJG said:

Same thing happened with GOTG 3. The trades took a while to accept the BO just isn’t what it was.

I mean, the BO isn't what it was, but this doesn't seem apply to movies where the audience have a lot of interest.

That's why people were surprised about TLM. Disney remakes are criticized, but they tend to generate interest between the audience.

45 minutes ago, John2015 said:

Miller has the franchise rights, but I guess other studios won't agree to finance the next Mad Max movie.... unless Miller agree to make a PG-13 Mad Max film.

A neutered Mad Max film would be even less successful. I know Beyond Thunderdome was PG-13, but at this point this is basically accepted (and appreciated) as an adult franchise.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

God, what a shitty ass mentality. People get on me for being so down and negative, but when this corporate bean counting shit is the discourse every single weekend thread a risky movie opens somewhat disappointing, how can I not be? 

You know, much as Zas' cynical purge of all those works in progress last year still stings and I do still hate the public disrespect for art he displays, I must admit he has also gotten a lot of those kinds of risky auteur projects I want more of off the ground. I don't know if he would have specifically okd this one, but greenlighting an $85 mil original project from a guy who hasn't previously made more than $20 mil at the box office is a move I have to give him credit for, to say nothing of the Coogler and Bong projects as well.

Much as I do still hold disdain for him I wonder if there are many people on this forum who actually hate art more than he does.

• Like 3

https://deadline.com/2024/05/box-office-furiosa-garfield-memorial-day-1235938017/

Despite more movies in the marketplace, we’re still feeling the aftermath of the strikes. How is that? Many aren’t in the habit of moviegoing yet, and while content is king, neither of this weekend’s releases are expected to create a stampede.

Warner Bros’ Geroge Miller prequel Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga did $3.5M at 3,400 locations that began previews at 3PM.

Meanwhile Alcon/Sony’s The Garfield Movie posted $1.9M in shows that started at 2PM yesterday. That’s a tad higher than IF’s previews last Thursday of $1.75M.

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

You know, much as Zas' cynical purge of all those works in progress last year still stings and I do still hate the public disrespect for art he displays, I must admit he has also gotten a lot of those kinds of risky auteur projects I want more of off the ground. I don't know if he would have specifically okd this one, but greenlighting an $85 mil original project from a guy who hasn't previously made more than $20 mil at the box office is a move I have to give him credit for, to say nothing of the Coogler and Bong projects as well.

Much as I do still hold disdain for him I wonder if there are many people on this forum who actually hate art more than he does.

Yeah for what it's worth I actually think Zaslav probably WOULD have greenlit this project, I just don't think we should endorse the idea that he shouldn't have. I agree Furiosa kind of always had a ceiling tbh but I can't even imagine the discourse on these boards prior to the release of like, the Godfather, Jaws, Star Wars, or Titanic - all of which looked to everyone in the industry like expensive flops. I do remember it about Avatar! Risk is required for greatness.

• Like 8

No offense to @charlie Jatinder, but I think you need to figure out your projections or just keep it to yourself, because this is like the third time or so that you overpredicted a movie's previews on social media, and that's really not helpful to anybody.

I also think we need to stop opening up threads when Charlie posts his numbers on Twitter. It's just making things way worse and way more miserable for all parties.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Furiosa is this year's Flash for WB. Genuinely believe Twitter and 'Film Twitter' is one of the worst things that happened to studios' decision-making in last 10-12 years.

• Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, Eric Furiosa said:

No offense to @charlie Jatinder, but I think you need to figure out your projections or just keep it to yourself, because this is like the third time or so that you overpredicted a movie's previews on social media, and that's really not helpful to anybody.

I also think we need to stop opening up threads when Charlie posts his numbers on Twitter. It's just making things way worse and way more miserable for all parties.

Seems like you're the miserable one. We've always opened threads on early numbers. And we all know numbers change. That's literally the history of box office. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Alexander said:

Furiosa is this year's Flash for WB. Genuinely believe Twitter and 'Film Twitter' is one of the worst things that happened to studios' decision-making in last 10-12 years.

What the hell does Flash have to do with this?

• Like 4

I'm fine with opening the thread on Charlie's numbers. They're generally accurate, and if people like me want to act all pissy if they're slightly disappointing in the end, then we are the ones who need to get our minds right.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Yeah for what it's worth I actually think Zaslav probably WOULD have greenlit this project, I just don't think we should endorse the idea that he shouldn't have. I agree Furiosa kind of always had a ceiling tbh but I can't even imagine the discourse on these boards prior to the release of like, the Godfather, Jaws, Star Wars, or Titanic - all of which looked to everyone in the industry like expensive flops. I do remember it about Avatar! Risk is required for greatness.

Also Furiosa isn't even that big of a risk? Even remotely? Like in 2019 or 2020 or whenever this was greenlit, if I was given a pitch for a movie that was a prequel to an Oscar-winning film, a film considered one of the greatest in its entire genre, that made a ton of money, was a massive hit in the home video and television market, and starred a rising actress who has been in several hits movies and TV shows...yeah, I'd probably give that a greenlight. Like how pathetic must our industry/moviegoers have to be when this pitch is "too risky" or "destined to bomb"? Honestly?

• Like 4

I mainly just want this THE MOVIE WAS TOO EXPENSIVE attitude to stop. If you care more about that than the fact that Miller was able to get creative freedom to make the movie he wanted, then you don't actually appreciate movies.

• Like 17

Sometime you are feeling hopeful for the market after a meh reviewed movie like GB:FE and Gxk still managed to open big but on the other hand plenty of great received movie turns out not resonating with the crowd. 

One key observation in the post-Covid world is people are getting polarised even for movie taste. That is why some movie no matter how hard they tried, they simply can't spread their goodwill beyond their target demo, resulting some ridiculous gender, age or ethnicity split. People refuse to give some chance to the people they aren't comfortable watching no matter how much great thing they heard about them. 

For Furiosa and Garfield, I can't blame studio didn't try. They tried their best to market. Furiosa even got favourable review on their side but many just went tone-deaf.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

What the hell does Flash have to do with this?

Both movies had social media hype but in real life didn't attract anyone outside their bubbles.

Just now, Alexander said:

Both movies had social media hype but in real life didn't attract anyone outside their bubbles.

The bubble this was hyped in was not the same as the one Flash was

• Like 3