kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

You can call it that but DR still made 570 even being steamrolled by Barbenheimer and despite what you and "Ryan Reynolds" think the WOM was good. Not liking it as much as GP, RN, and Fallout is not bad WOM.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

what is fun about no one beating The eras tour is that release didn't have previews (if not very very few last minute added on Thur) while any other release since there has also wed and more, and on friday it had only post 6 PM shows.

but at the same time the tickets were more expansive even for not Imax screens. 

Edited by vale9001

2 minutes ago, Legion Again said:

I mean, look -- this is the 10th month in a row with no releases making the Dom top 100 (or even top 115). Now I'm not saying you can't celebrate the solid singles and occasional double for what they are, but that is a pretty dang historically notable drought of actual big hits no matter how much you much want to stick your head in the sand about it

Well. We thought that would have happened by now. 

But the MCU almost died it seems. The Marvels was an embarrassment. Disney's big animation was an embarrassment. DCEU is also dead. 

People don't go to movies just because anymore. Dune 2 did very well and had a great growth from the 1st specially for the kind of movie it is.

If you're too attached to that, cry to Disney's embarrassing performance last year. The Marvels and WISH were embarrassments and DCEU just as dead. Those were the ones that theoretically should have that potential. But we all know what happened and the state of those brands.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, justnumbers said:

Well. We thought that would have happened by now. 

But the MCU almost died it seems. The Marvels was an embarrassment. Disney's big animation was an embarrassment. DCEU is also dead. 

People don't go to movies just because anymore. Dune 2 did very well and had a great growth from the 1st specially for the kind of movie it is.

If you're too attached to that, cry to Disney's embarrassing performance last year. The Marvels and WISH were embarrassments and DCEU just as dead. Those were the ones that theoretically should have that potential. But we all know what happened and the state of those brands.

Dune 2 did do really well, but saying it had great growth is really misleading considering the state of the world when Dune was released.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Dune 2 did do really well, but saying it had great growth is really misleading considering the state of the world when Dune was released.

And who's to say the way that movie released didn't effect this one?

• Like 1

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

making almost 3 times the first movie (was still a 100m+ movie) it's a great growth for a sequel, let's be serious. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

making almost 3 times the first movie (was still a 100m+ movie) it's a great growth for a sequel, let's be serious. 

I mean yeah let's shit on one of the few major bright spots we have had these last 10 months or so. Sure.

12 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

Deadline is projecting all movies to make 127 million over the 4 day holiday. That would be only 3 million more than 1998.. The numbers are so low sometimes its hard to believe

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/holiday/us_memorialday_weekend/?grossesOption=calendarGrosses&sort=year

And The Little Mermaid opened to 118.6M last year…

A princess unappreciated in her time (by some).

Little Mermaid Smile GIF by Regal

• Like 3
  • Heart 2

Posted (edited)

Nobody should be surprised about these numbers. Everyone expected it, even the industry was bracing for a slow May. June/ July should be better. August likely won’t be great but there is potential for films like ‘It ends With Us’ and Trap being 100m + grossers. 

Edited by babz06

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Legion Again said:

I mean, look -- this is the 10th month in a row with no releases making the Dom top 100 (or even top 115). Now I'm not saying you can't celebrate the solid singles and occasional double for what they are, but that is a pretty dang historically notable drought of actual big hits no matter how much you much want to stick your head in the sand about it

Very ironic name btw

Dune 2 was literally only 7.8% off missing the top 100, 6% off of missing 300m and 3% off of not getting into the top 115 🙄

Edited by YM!

While Furiosa is not Fury Road, it's still a very good movie so I'm really bummed about these numbers. Wouldn't be surprised if that new Mad Max film gets cancelled now which would suck but the franchise just can't break out no matter how quality it is it seems.

Unfortunately another horrible weekend.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, YM! said:

Dune 2 was literally only 7.8% off missing the top 100, 6% off of missing 300m and 3% off of not getting into the top 115 🙄

... yes? If the biggest movie in a particular period had been bigger then the negative record which is true in reality might not be true in that counterfactual. I mean -- that is definitely a true statement to make but I dont know if it implies what you're hoping to inply here 👀 

Edited by Legion Again
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I think Inside Out, Bad Boys, Quiet Place are a solid top level trio and should do similar enough to Spider Verse/Indy/Transformers in total, but there's nothing else in June that will approach even Flash numbers much less the depth. Same with Deadpool, Despicable, and Twisters in July - could come closeish to Barbie, Oppy, and Mission Impossible, but nothing even close to Sound of Freedom or Insidious. May was deep but absolutely no top-level hits, June and July are shallow as fuck. August is when the schedule starts getting normal again.

• Like 1

I haven't been active as much because, well....

It's been dire. Obviously finance does not equate quality, etc... but I'll never forget waking up on Avengers Saturday in 2012 and seeing the 80m+ opening day article on Deadline

Last year, we had a monumental box office event with Barbie and Oppenheimer. I don't even like Oppenheimer but Nolan the Box Office God achieving that feat felt like a true coronation. And of course Greta cementing herself officially as a Hollywood titan.

So it's sad when in the following months.. you see the likes of Scorsese or Gosling underwhelm. It's most disappointing especially when non-IPs centered around women, people of color, etc aren't getting the attention and business they deserve. It makes me feel like the activity of movie-going is completely faded.

I think Bad Boys will do ok since it serves a minority audience, ditto Twisters. I really like the first 2 Deadpools but I'm reluctant about Wolverine.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think Inside Out, Bad Boys, Quiet Place are a solid top level trio and should do similar enough to Spider Verse/Indy/Transformers in total, but there's nothing else in June that will approach even Flash numbers much less the depth. Same with Deadpool, Despicable, and Twisters in July - could come closeish to Barbie, Oppy, and Mission Impossible, but nothing even close to Sound of Freedom or Insidious. May was deep but absolutely no top-level hits, June and July are shallow as fuck. August is when the schedule starts getting normal again.

August looks filled with studio dumps.  Below, is the August release schedule from HSX. 

Im not sold on June.  Before, May started I think people would have said Apes, Furiosa and Fall Guy can match Guardians.

I can see Bad Boys, Inside Out and Quiet Place matching just SpiderVerse.  Ive seen way to many movies underperform to think anything besides Deadpool is going to breakout.

Name Symbol Release Date Price Hollywood Dollars®
Change Today

Harold and the Purple Crayon HATPC Aug 02, 2024 H$33.94 H$0.47 (1%)  
The Instigators NSTGT Aug 02, 2024 H$13.21 -H$0.17 (-1%)  
Cuckoo CUCKO Aug 02, 2024 H$6.57 H$0.00 (0%)  
Kneecap KNECP Aug 02, 2024 H$3.01 -H$0.01 (-0%)  
Borderlands BRDLN Aug 09, 2024 H$78.58 H$0.01 (0%)  
Trap TRAP Aug 09, 2024 H$61.49 -H$0.05 (-0%)  
It Ends with Us ITEND Aug 09, 2024 H$38.06 -H$0.10 (-0%)  
Horizon: An American Saga Chapter 2 HORZ2 Aug 16, 2024 H$66.63 H$0.11 (0%)  
Alien: Romulus ALIE5 Aug 16, 2024 H$64.41 H$0.03 (0%)  
Ryan's World the Movie: Titan... RYANW Aug 16, 2024 H$6.26 H$0.93 (17%)  
My Penguin Friend aka The Penguin &... TPATF Aug 16, 2024 H$3.84 -H$0.04 (-1%)  
Blink Twice PUSYL Aug 23, 2024 H$23.85 -H$0.02 (-0%)  
The Crow TCROW Aug 23, 2024 H$22.12 -H$0.05 (-0%)  
The Forge TFORG Aug 23, 2024 H$18.21 -H$0.02 (-0%)  
Slingshot SLNGS Aug 23, 2024 H$8.16 H$0.00 (0%)  
Between the Temples BTMPL Aug 23, 2024 H$1.11 H$0.00 (0%)  
They Listen THEYL Aug 30, 2024 H$31.48 H$0.20 (1%)  
Reagan REAGN Aug 30, 2024 H$5.89 H$0.10 (2%)  
City of Dreams aka Dreamer DEAMR Aug 30, 2024 H$3.93 H$0.00 (0%)  
The Wasp TWASP Aug 30, 2024 H$0.34 -H$0.02 (-6%)  
Across The River And Into The Trees ATRIT Aug 30, 2024 H$0.07 -H$0.03 (-30%)  

Read more: https://www.hsx.com/security/feature.php?type=upcoming&page=2#ixzz8bGRzxBaN
Hollywood Stock Exchange - It's not who you know, it's who you own.®
Follow us: @HSXMOVIES on Twitter

48 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheBoxOffice said:

Completely dropped GxK this weekend. Ghostbusters is in 200 more theaters. WB really didn’t want 200m milestone.

Sadly, I don't think these types of milestones aren't getting the same kind of push or priority as they used to. The last time we got some big fudge jobs to reach certain box office milestones was probably 2019 with The Addams Family. And even then, Rocketman and Downton Abbey didn't get any fudging. Post-COVID, The Bad Guys didn't get it even though it was only a couple million short, Bob Marley tried to do something and then stopped. I feel like those cable TV rights bonuses studios get for this kind of stuff don't really matter much or are worth it anymore.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

August looks filled with studio dumps.  Below, is the August release schedule from HSX. 

Im not sold on June.  Before, May started I think people would have said Apes, Furiosa and Fall Guy can match Guardians.

I can see Bad Boys, Inside Out and Quiet Place matching just SpiderVerse.  Ive seen way to many movies underperform to think anything besides Deadpool is going to breakout.

Name Symbol Release Date Price Hollywood Dollars®
Change Today

Harold and the Purple Crayon HATPC Aug 02, 2024 H$33.94 H$0.47 (1%)  
The Instigators NSTGT Aug 02, 2024 H$13.21 -H$0.17 (-1%)  
Cuckoo CUCKO Aug 02, 2024 H$6.57 H$0.00 (0%)  
Kneecap KNECP Aug 02, 2024 H$3.01 -H$0.01 (-0%)  
Borderlands BRDLN Aug 09, 2024 H$78.58 H$0.01 (0%)  
Trap TRAP Aug 09, 2024 H$61.49 -H$0.05 (-0%)  
It Ends with Us ITEND Aug 09, 2024 H$38.06 -H$0.10 (-0%)  
Horizon: An American Saga Chapter 2 HORZ2 Aug 16, 2024 H$66.63 H$0.11 (0%)  
Alien: Romulus ALIE5 Aug 16, 2024 H$64.41 H$0.03 (0%)  
Ryan's World the Movie: Titan... RYANW Aug 16, 2024 H$6.26 H$0.93 (17%)  
My Penguin Friend aka The Penguin &... TPATF Aug 16, 2024 H$3.84 -H$0.04 (-1%)  
Blink Twice PUSYL Aug 23, 2024 H$23.85 -H$0.02 (-0%)  
The Crow TCROW Aug 23, 2024 H$22.12 -H$0.05 (-0%)  
The Forge TFORG Aug 23, 2024 H$18.21 -H$0.02 (-0%)  
Slingshot SLNGS Aug 23, 2024 H$8.16 H$0.00 (0%)  
Between the Temples BTMPL Aug 23, 2024 H$1.11 H$0.00 (0%)  
They Listen THEYL Aug 30, 2024 H$31.48 H$0.20 (1%)  
Reagan REAGN Aug 30, 2024 H$5.89 H$0.10 (2%)  
City of Dreams aka Dreamer DEAMR Aug 30, 2024 H$3.93 H$0.00 (0%)  
The Wasp TWASP Aug 30, 2024 H$0.34 -H$0.02 (-6%)  
Across The River And Into The Trees ATRIT Aug 30, 2024 H$0.07 -H$0.03 (-30%)  

Read more: https://www.hsx.com/security/feature.php?type=upcoming&page=2#ixzz8bGRzxBaN
Hollywood Stock Exchange - It's not who you know, it's who you own.®
Follow us: @HSXMOVIES on Twitter

You're honestly probably right, but I am more optimistic about the June releases than I ever was about the May ones (longtime Furiosa and Fall Guy doubter here).