kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

10 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

He's been in almost nothing but well-received films for the past 20 years what are you talking about.

Look at some of the CinemaScores or IMDb scores of his movies that are less blockbustery.

6 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Ken only became big AFTER ppl saw the movie. Initially, folks said he was a terrible fit.

He was everywhere and i don't have a Meter to decide "what people opinion" was in general. For what i read a lot people already like that idea.

Also in general Gerwig, robbie and goling involved where the reason why several targets of audiences were interested to the movie and didn't expect something like Bratz the movie. 

This is what i call star appeal. Creating specific expectations on a movie- product. It's not only about the Money. Then yeah you have to make money on the budget but It's also more than that.

Gosling is a respected actor in the likes of Pitt or Cruise or Clooney. If you make a movie like the A24 wolfman movie was announced he can bring even more interest to the movie. This doesn't mean you can open any kind of action blockbuster, like Pitt, Clooney or Cruise can't too cause there are so many factors to open big 4 quadrants movies, not everything can be on an actor, but imo he definitely has star appeal and having in a movie Ryan Gosling and not Chris Evans gives to the movie a different meaning for the audience. 

1 minute ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Look at some of the CinemaScores or IMDb scores of his movies that are less blockbustery.

I don't think there's anyone who refused to see The Fall Guy because years later they're still mad Drive was mismarketed or First Man wasn't rousing enough or some shit. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

What’s with Gitesh’s hyperbole about no May movie grossing over $175 million for the first time since 1998. He knew that would happen, so why start crying about it now? Is it for the engagement? I don’t get it. 

He’s doing his job reporting on the box office. And yeah, talking about historical lows and being negative over those objective truths are part of the job. Even if you “knew it would happen”, that’s still terrible.

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

Even Luiz. It's like they expect each month should produce a 200M film. They should know better. Big movies have been delayed because of the strike. The number of releases still has not reached pre-pandemic levels.

I mean the bigger issue is that only one movie opened to the expectations from box office nerds and the industry. Everything else opened below expectations. Even if you think IF or Fall Guy were predicted too high, that’s still really bad, very alarming news. If you can’t even open to 35M or 45M like what the industry projected, how can you not be disappointed or say negative stuff about it?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Ken only became big AFTER ppl saw the movie. Initially, folks said he was a terrible fit.

I would say Ken became big during the promotion for the movie.

However, I agree Ryan Gosling wasn't exactly a draw for Barbie movie.

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Remember when some (not many) gave Pratt credit for Hurassic, Mario, Guardians. Yeah. Garfield just put that to bed. He had a heck of a streak though.

He's definitely the one who got lucky latching onto IPs. His only movies since 2016 outside the franchise/animated arena are The Kid (indie in which he had a supporting role in what was likely a favor for director/repeat co-star Vincent D'Onofrio) and The Tomorrow War (which was banished to streaming). His next movie is a sci-fi movie next year opposite Rebecca Ferguson. Hopefully he knows better than to yell at her!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

He was everywhere and i don't have a Meter to decide "what people opinion" was in general. For what i read a lot people already like that idea.

Also in general Gerwig, robbie and goling involved where the reason why several targets of audiences were interested to the movie and didn't expect something like Bratz the movie. 

This is what i call star appeal. Creating specific expectations on a movie- product. It's not only about the Money. Then yeah you have to make money on the budget but It's also more than that.

Gosling is a respected actor in the likes of Pitt or Cruise or Clooney. If you make a movie like the A24 wolfman movie was announced he can bring even more interest to the movie. This doesn't mean you can open any kind of action blockbuster, like Pitt, Clooney or Cruise can't too cause there are so many factors to open big 4 quadrants movies, not everything can be on an actor, but imo he definitely has star appeal and having in a movie Ryan Gosling and not Chris Evans gives to the movie a different meaning for the audience. 

Honestly, I don't really feel general audience really cares about the star appeal from Gerwing, Robbie or Gosling for Barbie.

Don't misunderstand me, they fulfill their respective roles. I just don't think they attract a significant amount of people due to star power.

Edited by Kon

37 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's not half-subtitled, for one thing, so sure. Given it's a comedy that got a lot of comparisons to Uncut Gems, they could even possibly get away with releasing it immediately wide, even if it doesn't have anyone like Sandler as a selling point.

Triangle of Sadness was also a comedy without subtitles yet only yielded 4M DOM. It's interesting to me how little Neon's titles gross.

At least after two weeks of missing 100m narrowly, this weekend is the first 100m weekend since Easter weekend and the first and only 100m weekend in May! yay! Victory! 

5 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

wtf. Korea is the biggest international market???

OUCH . Has a good chance to be in Top 5 flops of the year 😬. Max 150M WW

8 minutes ago, Eric Furiosa said:

He’s doing his job reporting on the box office. And yeah, talking about historical lows and being negative over those objective truths are part of the job. Even if you “knew it would happen”, that’s still terrible.

I mean the bigger issue is that only one movie opened to the expectations from box office nerds and the industry. Everything else opened below expectations. Even if you think IF or Fall Guy were predicted too high, that’s still really bad, very alarming news. If you can’t even open to 35M or 45M like what the industry projected, how can you not be disappointed or say negative stuff about it?

I get that, but he was talking about movies making at least 175M just because historically that has been the case. But historically, Marvel movies are mostly the only ones doing that. And we don't have a Marvel movie in May this year. That's the change, and I don't think we can just expect movies to make big numbers just because the month usually produces big hits. It's not really about the month all the time, it's still about the type of movies. I might agree with him if he was talking about December, when people tend to spend money on movies without much hesitation. It's one reason why I thought AQUAMAN still managed to make 124.5M. Had it been released in May, it wouldn't have touched 80M.

I wonder, did you expect any of the May 2024 movies to make 175M?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

Twister was huge in the U.K. too. Remember it well. 

Twister was the number 2 movie in North America in 96. It made 241.  Only behind Independence Day. Will Twisters make anywhere near that amount adjusted for inflation. Not a chance.  But I think if it is good it will do really well. Heck it has strong chance to be the number 2 live action movie of the summer Bad Boys Ride Or Die and Quiet Place Day One being the other contenders.

• Like 1