kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

27 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Well, then, I don't owe theaters my time for depriving me of an experience I can't get at home.

I guess that's my frustration with theaters. You have to see a film on their terms, and over the years, those terms have gotten worse and worse. No enforcement of phone rules, they don't hire projectionists, concession prices have gotten crazy so if I choose to buy popcorn, I actually feel more disappointed of the film I choose to watch isn't good, etc.

Watching a film in theaters will always be better than watching it at home from a visual standpoint. But being able to pee when I want, grab a snack when I want, pause and look at the details when I want, etc. That's more valuable to me than the modern theatrical experience. 

Although, as I said, 3D showings are my ultimate weakness.

It’s not always better from a visual standpoint. I have plenty of theaters near me with crap projection and a poor image. Unless you’re willing to spring for Dolby, you’re not really guaranteed a good visual experience. 

Here’s my ultimate theater future take: there needs to be serious change on both the studio and exhibition side.

Theaters have to start bringing prices for tickets and snacks down, and they have to provide a better experience. Whether that’s actually enforcing no phone rules or more IMAX screens (I remember the folks there mentioned that they literally sold out of tickets for Dune). It has to be an experience again.

But at the same time, that will also require work on the studio side. Studios need to give the theater a better share of the box office (which would require them to also take control of budgets), embrace new marketing avenues like TikTok like I mentioned before, that kind of stuff. They already screwed themselves by going all in on streaming, so they have to work with theaters to bring them back. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Here’s my ultimate theater future take: there needs to be serious change on both the studio and exhibition side.

Theaters have to start bringing prices for tickets and snacks down, and they have to provide a better experience. Whether that’s actually enforcing no phone rules or more IMAX screens (I remember the folks there mentioned that they literally sold out of tickets for Dune). It has to be an experience again.

But at the same time, that will also require work on the studio side. Studios need to give the theater a better share of the box office (which would require them to also take control of budgets), embrace new marketing avenues like TikTok like I mentioned before, that kind of stuff. They already screwed themselves by going all in on streaming, so they have to work with theaters to bring them back. 

supposedly movies like Challengers and The Fall Guy are all over TikTok and it didn't help their box office. Seeing a viral clip of the movie somewhere doesn't mean they will go out and watch the full film.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

About half the admissions of Mad max 2015. Wild lol 

Furiosa's admissions are well below half of Fury Road. Probably 40%. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

There's no other way to spin this other than being an outright disaster for Furiosa. It managed to finish below even the most pessimistic predictions. The fact that it's not likely going to even pass its $168m budget worldwide is astonishing. If it does, it won't be by much and $200m is not happening under any circumstances. 

I think many here were aware that it would underperform from expectations, but $25.5m for its 3-day? Absurd.

Edited by Noctis
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The heavy hitters (those three, A Quiet Place, Despicable Me, Twisters) all appear more appealing on paper than any of the May titles with the exception of Apes did, $150M+ should be easily achievable for all of them with the possible exception of A Quiet Place (being another prequel with a new cast and all, though cheap enough that they're sure to see a profit). It's whether any of the movies like Horizon or Fly Me to the Moon will connect. At the moment, looking at what those have working against them, I'm going with "no" on that one.

I’ve started to sour on Horizon more after the bad reviews it’s gotten, but then again that might not deter people. The bigger concern is how part one is allegedly just set up. Quiet Place also gives off odd vibes in terms of performance, idk.

Fly Me To The Moon I go back and forth on. It looks charming enough to be counterprogramming but the plot might be too odd for some folks. 

Might be the constant underperformance of horror and Furiosa bombing, but Quiet Place feels like an underperformer tbh. It has the same problem Furiosa has where there's almost none of the original cast (though I guess Djimon Honsou makes it a little better?), and the hook isn't even all that interesting. It's showing what happened the first day the aliens took over...which is something we already saw in Quiet Place 2. Just feels like one where opening in the 30s would be an achievement IMO

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I’ve started to sour on Horizon more after the bad reviews it’s gotten, but then again that might not deter people. The bigger concern is how part one is allegedly just set up. Quiet Place also gives off odd vibes in terms of performance, idk.

Fly Me To The Moon I go back and forth on. It looks charming enough to be counterprogramming but the plot might be too odd for some folks. 

Yeah I’ve cooled on Horizon too, though I’m still personally gonna watch it as a love problematic movies made by white dudes.

I hope Fly Me To The Moon can at least match what Tatum’s Dog made in early 2022.

7 minutes ago, Unfitclock said:

@Eric Furiosa you sound like before transformers rise of the beasts came out you said the same thing about that movie

I mean not really? Transformers has no Shia or Mark Wahlberg, but they aren't the reason people go to these. Rise of the Beasts still had Optimus, Megatron, Bumblebee.

• Like 1