kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Loved Troy when it came out.  

As to its reputation at the time?  The best way I can explain it is: If Film Twitter existed at the time, they would have *HATED* the movie and ripped it to shreds.  I can say that because proto-Film Twitter (ie folks on forums and the like) ripped to shreds for not being "source accurate" amongst various other similar things.

But, damn, was it a great movie.  Loved it then, love it now.

Movie internet discussion forums form the 00s to the early 10s were filled with insufferable nerds like that though. I don't think anyone on film twitter cares about historical accuracy, if anything they'd complain about it being too white or right winged or something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just wanted to say Kingdom of Heaven theatrical cut was complete garbage and hurt how much it made, directors cut is what everyone should watch. Really glad when the 3 hour longer cut was released on Bluray. Ridley Scott deserved better.

Chris Hemsworth is such an interesting case because he has basically no success outside of playing Thor. No other successful franchise films, no successful original films, no awards or nominations (or even preemptive buzz that leads to making a shortlist). Just Thor (and I guess those Netflix Extraction films). Even if you look at his Wikipedia page it’s literally just “best known for an Australian soap opera and playing Thor.” And yet he’s one of the highest paid actors.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Speedorito said:

Chris Hemsworth is such an interesting case because he has basically no success outside of playing Thor. No other successful franchise films, no successful original films, no awards or nominations (or even preemptive buzz that leads to making a shortlist). Just Thor (and I guess those Netflix Extraction films). Even if you look at his Wikipedia page it’s literally just “best known for an Australian soap opera and playing Thor.” And yet he’s one of the highest paid actors.

I guess you could say…. He’s worthy?

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Well if his movies keep bombing, the pay is going down. He definitely needs to fire his agent.

I didn't know so many people in this forum loved Troy. I loved it too.

It seems there were too big expectatives on the film, but the box office seems to be pretty good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legion Again said:

Not really? I mean, the “being good” part, yes — but for the “looking attractive to mass audiences” part the proof is kind of in the pudding

Yeah. "Being attractive to mass audience" isn't subjetive.

However, you could only know this for sure after it happens.

• Like 1

Anya Taylor Joy, on the other hand, has magnetic screen presence. She was mesmerizing in The Queen's Gambit, Last Night in Soho, and The Menu. I need to see The Witch, and The Northman. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Anya Taylor Joy, on the other hand, has magnetic screen presence. She was mesmerizing in The Queen's Gambit, Last Night in Soho, and The Menu. I need to see The Witch, and The Northman. 

When i first saw her in The Witch, i knew she'd be a star. Great actress.

• Like 2

Witch came out when I was 16, and Anya was like 18/19. I remember seeing that and thinking of her as an adult, I've been scared to rewatch it cause now I'll be "man she was a kid" and that'll fuel my anxiety about the passage of time.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Yep. After that movie struck gold there was a resurgence for a while of historical epics hoping to repeat its success but none were able to achieve either the box office or awards goals.

Troy has a good worldwide total at least but the others were real financial and critical disappointments all around.

Anyone shopped for a TV recently? My mom's main television went kaput so I got sent to the neatest Walmart today for a replacement. There was an 86-inch 4K available for $998! The 40-inch models I was looking for were in the "Small TVs" aisle. With a multi-year protection plan included the total cost was still under $200.

Seeing all the huge monitors on display for relatively low prices really reinforced for me how easy it is for most people to just wait for VOD or streaming for movies, or find other things to watch on pretty nice looking Smart TVs in the meantime.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Troy has a good worldwide total at least but the others were real financial and critical disappointments all around.

Anyone shopped for a TV recently? My mom's main television went kaput so I got sent to the neatest Walmart today for a replacement. There was an 86-inch 4K available for $998! The 40-inch models I was looking for were in the "Small TVs" aisle. With a multi-year protection plan included the total cost was still under $200.

Seeing all the huge monitors on display for relatively low prices really reinforced for me how easy it is for most people to just wait for VOD or streaming for movies, or find other things to watch on pretty nice looking Smart TVs in the meantime.

Bought a 70 inch Roku TV from Walmart for $399 and love it.  I swear, I see a family with a giant TV hanging out their cart every time I go to Walmart and think thats a family that isnt going to theaters anytime soon. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Shouldn’t have spent Marvel money then

They are over doing it. It flopped. Easy as that. Accept it. Every time these people on Twitter find a way to bring in marvel to deflect whatever negative their precious movie has and find someone else to blame. It’s pathetic. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TMP said:

Troy’s such an underrated movie. It’s weird in that it kind of butchers so much of the characterization, but holy shit did it nail the images of war I had in my head when reading the Fagles translation of the Iliiad. Just some insanely bad-ass sequences, even with Pitt’s stilted/low-key awful performance. Wish we got a Sean Bean Odyssey movie too 😭😭😭

I'm glad so many others appreciate Troy. It's one of those movies that should be amazing, and it does some great things, but the movie is underwhelming and Pitt's performance is so wildly bad. It's like a James Franco performance, and I have no idea why. I thought at the time that this was right in his wheelhouse, but going through his filmography, and I think he was just miscast (outside of looking the part perfectly).

Pitt gives a real performance, they don't harp on "Remember the name" so freaking much, and a couple other small alterations, and this would probably be a top 10 favorite of mine.

• Like 1