kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

10 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Maybe the "Mad Max" world would be good for a Television Series.  HBO Max should consider it.  

MAX is already making a Dune show to pass the time until we get Dune Messiah from Denis V.

Posted (edited)

I feel like MadMax does better in a world where nothing is explained because nothing would hold up and make sense, have giant budget and time to shoot the action and goes so wild that its cannot be long, a short instead of a feature film could have been the better direction instead of a while series.

Dune feel like compressed it in movies is quite the challenge in the other direction.

Edited by Barnack

I was depressed because the box office is dead.

Then i decided to see Furiosa because ofc one has to see Furiosa.

I really like the film, though its ofc not the same level as Fury Road (nothing really is)

I go to the forums to see how the movie is doing.

I am depressed.

• Sad 3

56 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Maybe the "Mad Max" world would be good for a Television Series.  HBO Max should consider it.  

Sells itself. 

“Max on MAX!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All those car chases would be too expensive on a weekly budget.

I imagine a Mad Max show would be more like Fallout series, lots of wandering in the wastelands and weird humor.

7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I really like the film, though its ofc not the same level as Fury Road (nothing really is)

I am depressed.

Never in my mind had came across that Furiosa OW would only be slightly higher than CW with long weekend help. 

7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I am depressed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Maybe this is it. Maybe this is the weekend where we all kind of realize at once that the bottom fell out and it's not coming back. I had hope as of two weeks ago. Did a whole post on it. Now I'm just in acceptance stage. I think it's all probably winding down and we are about to see things collapse "slowly, then all at once" over the next year or two for this industry as we know it and love it. That's how it usually goes. It's just so incredibly bleak. I wish the boards weren't so depressing. I wish I personally wasn't so depressing in how I post on them. I just don't see the light at the end of the tunnel at this point for the box office anymore. Even with all the bad over the last two years, this month is the first month where I do not see any light.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, filmscholar said:

Hmm. If George Miller's in, I'm all about it. His Mad Movies are especially cinematic though. It's the strength of Furiosa. Long stretches of visual storytelling with minimal dialogue.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Maybe this is it. Maybe this is the weekend where we all kind of realize at once that the bottom fell out and it's not coming back. I had hope as of two weeks ago. Did a whole post on it. Now I'm just in acceptance stage. I think it's all probably winding down and we are about to see things collapse "slowly, then all at once" over the next year or two for this industry as we know it and love it. That's how it usually goes. It's just so incredibly bleak. I wish the boards weren't so depressing. I wish I personally wasn't so depressing in how I post on them. I just don't see the light at the end of the tunnel at this point for the box office anymore. Even with all the bad over the last two years, this month is the first month where I do not see any light.

Because a Garfield movie no one wanted and a Mad Max spinoff not featuring Mad Max at all both underperformed? Nah. Not buying it. Middling Apes sequel just did nearly 60M DOM OW a few weeks ago.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Because a Garfield movie no one wanted and Mad Max spinoff not featuring Mad at all both underperformed? Nah. Not buying it. Middling Apes sequel just did nearly 70M DOM OW a few weeks ago.

It seems that summer is going to be a little better in the coming months, but the general notion that movie industry is a sure bet where tons of diverse titles (size, genre, rating) make varying degrees of money and justify the current model of film production and distribution doesn't feel like it's gonna keep happening. Yeah Deadpool and Bad Boys and Inside Out will probably make money. I just don't give a fuck anymore that we can point to 10 good performances a year. It didn't use to be like this where every fifth weekend was good and everything else sucked. It's like almost every weekend is that one Bangkok Dangerous weekend from back in the day that caused meltdowns (old heads remember). I will amend my statement to say that the theatrical film business that in any way resembles the one I enjoy following and desire is dying, not all theatrical film obviously, as proven by stuff like Apes and Godzilla.

Edited by Cmasterclay

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

At this point, im just gratefull for every movie that does still get made and released because in the not so distant future (maybe by the start of the 2030s), i actually think new movies will only be made for streaming services (in other words: all new movies will suck) and cinema is dead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Given how relentlessly all IP is mined these days I guess someone will try to continue Mad Max after Miller is gone, but there'll still be nothing to replace the vision and personality he brings to it - so yeah, just the fact that, in the modern era, he got to make at least these two movies entirely on his own terms is victory enough. 

• Like 8

I was never like SUPER into box office numbers... well I did like these numbers but I didn't keep track of every single movie. For the moment, some movies I like are still being made so I'm still curious.