kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

32 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Movies existed then too 

Yep, by the hundreds and many of them made tons of money. Now there's gonna be like 15 movies a year top that make good money (inflation adjusted across eras) and 100 wide releases or less as more and more and more gets moved to streaming.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Garfield was #1 on Monday and it wasn't really close.

Garfield opened at #4 here in the UK for the 3 day. Under IF’s 2nd weekend. 

Despite it being a holiday with an inflated Sunday. 

13 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Garfield was #1 on Monday and it wasn't really close.

Yeah. IF was (slightly) higher than Furiosa on Monday too.

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

So I thought you guys were exaggerating when you said that the general public/normies were talking about the bad box office this weekend until I had a boomer coworker come up to me today talking about how "it was the worst memorial day weekend for movies ever, nothing made any money" lol. This coworker has never talked to me about how much money movies make and had no clue I was a box office nerd.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

both things can be true. Streaming is profitable for Netflix, but not profitable for Disney. Though it might be because Disney spent so much on content for Disney Plus, and they're kind of stopping doing that.

I was just thinking its too bad Disney and Warner and Paramount all made their own streaming services because it would be a gold mine for some one to make a streaming service licensing Disney, cartoon network and nickelodeon cartoons. 

1 hour ago, thajdikt said:

Nobody is going on Twitter or reading a deadline article then deciding “Ah this movie if flopping, then I shall not watch it!” This movie has really been followed by some of the worst takes in a long time

I dunno. When a movie is a big hit, more people feel the need to go see it to be part of the conversation or FOMO. So its possible for the reverse to be true too or for them to think "oh I'll just wait a few weeks because it will be on streaming soon."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t think it’s the corporations people are concerned about (at least I hope not). The concern when movies like Furiosa bomb is more because of the implications it has for the future of cinema. Movie theaters have already been walking on thin ice for a few years now, and having a bunch of high profile bombs doesn’t exactly help. 

Let me introduce you to the history of cinema 

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Yep, by the hundreds and many of them made tons of money. Now there's gonna be like 15 movies a year top that make good money (inflation adjusted across eras) and 100 wide releases or less as more and more and more gets moved to streaming.

Am I crazy or did we not all decide last year that 2024 was going to be a wash year? Everything moved away from this year for a reason. 

I'm thinking I'm the only sane person on this board who doesn't think cinema is dead because the fifth installment of a franchise that has one successful movie, and is missing the main character from the franchise, did 75% of the opening weekend sales of the last one.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Am I crazy or did we not all decide last year that 2024 was going to be a wash year? Everything moved away from this year for a reason. 

I'm thinking I'm the only sane person on this board who doesn't think cinema is dead because the fifth installment of a franchise that has one successful movie, and is missing the main character from the franchise, did 75% of the opening weekend sales of the last one.

I mean, Furiosa opened more than 25% lower globally than expected. Projections were 80-85M (in the final few days before release when presales slowed down) and it opened to less than 60M. Initial domestic projects were 50M and it opened to just above 30M.

People were expecting 2024 to be weaker but not this weak. I do think people are focusing too much on May specifically, but only because this isn’t a new trend in the slightest. People are just now catching on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

I dunno. When a movie is a big hit, more people feel the need to go see it to be part of the conversation or FOMO. So its possible for the reverse to be true too or for them to think "oh I'll just wait a few weeks because it will be on streaming soon."

Maybe but I would argue that would be a very small portion of people. I would also argue that most people don’t even get that info of a movies box office results. People have their own echo chamber they live in. Also in Furiosa’s case specifically I doubt any function human being will look at the fantastic review, fantastic WOM and then box office news and be like ah I this is flopping so I will not go.

18 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

End of the line, folks! Says the worst person on Twitter. 

Don't worry if IO2 does very well in a few weeks, ERC will be back where they belong - with their mouth choking down on Iger.

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

End of the line, folks! Says the worst person on Twitter. 

Yeah. Exactly. What did they say when Apes retained most of its audience compared to the previous Apes OW DOM. Or, when Kung Fu Panda exceeded admissions from 3?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AJG said:

IIRC It’ll be profitable next quarter. 

I think next quarter Disney guided it will be a small loss due to Cricket Rights in India before going back into profit Q4 (September quarter)

FY25 will be the first time we get 4 full quarters of profit, although they have not guided how much that will be I would guess around $1B for full year, still think FY27 will be when they really start going with a decent amount of profit. 

Netflix has taken a long time to get where it is and people forget that! Here is two charts showing Free Cash Flow and Net Income that articulate that point instead of me just writing it again:

Screen-Shot-2024-05-29-at-10-42-11-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2024-05-29-at-10-42-28-AM.pn

Expecting Disney or any of the others to be instantly profitable is ridiculous, it is like expecting a movie to be profitable before it has even been released, streaming is a investment for these companies in their future and how they believe most people are going to consume TV and Movies in the coming years and for things like merchandise and licensing you obviously want to be seen by a big audience which is another reason streaming is important to these companies. 

Now I will say in the last couple of years I have gotten a lot more pessimistic about the chances of certain streamers existing outside of those who have already scaled up (Netflix, Amazon and Disney) especially with the decrease in Cable/Broadcasting revenues for those companies (WBD, Paramount and to a lesser extent Comcast)

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Sad that this is the closest thing that passes for a success story right now but pretty remarkable that IF's Monday was bigger than its Saturday and just a million behind Garfield. Definitely seems to have strong WOM in some circles. 

Garfield seems to be big casualty here of moving its release from February to May, can't help feeling a little schadenfreude about that. Really sucks that Furiosa is bombing though, don't have much to say there that I'm sure hasn't already been said ad nauseam.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1