kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 07-09, 2024] | actuals | 56.5M BAD BOYS: RIDE OR DIE | 10.0M GARFIELD | 7.8M IF | 7.0M THE WATCHERS

Pretty good for BB ROD. About 30 million more for the WW opening than the projections. Pays to be cautious and conservative I guess. Now let WOM and legs with summer weekdays kick in.

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

About what I expected domestically. End around $165 million.

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

400M will be a crawl.

Not what I expected internationally. Disappointing, and probably won't make it to $400 million overall because of this. Should still get a sequel, though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Seems a bit soon for that given all the other stuff they want to promote. Also isn't Wes Ball doing Zelda next?

We are assuming he is coming back for the next one. Ruppert Wyatt only directed Rise and then Matt Reeves came in of course for Dawn and War.  Disney may not want to wait.   Speaking of Wyatt what the hell happened to that guy. . He has not directed any big studio movies since Rise.

12 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Chomping at the bit to do my Twister rewatch or more like my 50th. Going to wait to closer to release of Twisters.  Jan Debont what a one two punch he started his directing career with after being one of the top DOP's for years. Speed and then Twister.  Speed turns 30 tomorrow. Will do my 50th rewatch of that this week.  He then directed 3 movies that all flopped commercially and critcally.  Speed 2, The Haunting and Tomb Raider 2. That was it for him.

Man "Speed" to "Twister" was a crazy one/two punch.  I always tip my cap to Jan for those two films.  And I saw "Speed 2" in the Theater Summer of 97, lol.   I fully understood why it flopped because it broke a sequel rule replacing Keanu with Jason Patric (Though I heard Keanu turned it down because he didn't like the script).   Sandra was becoming a draw at the point so I understood their thinking but it didn't work. Defoe did pretty good in it though.  I still think a "Speed 3" Legacy Sequel would do great it's just coming up with a good concept for Keanu and Sandra characters to connect again after so long.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Man "Speed" to "Twister" was a crazy one/two punch.  I always tip my cap to Jan for those two films.  And I saw "Speed 2" in the Theater Summer of 97, lol.   I fully understood why it flopped because it broke a sequel rule replacing Keanu with Jason Patric (Though I heard Keanu turned it down because he didn't like the script).   Sandra was becoming a draw at the point so I understood their thinking but it didn't work. Defoe did pretty good in it though.  I still think a "Speed 3" Legacy Sequel would do great it's just coming up with a good concept for Keanu and Sandra characters to connect again after so long.  

Yeah did not see Speed 2 in the theater once those reviews came in. They were really bad.    Of course Batman and Robin came out the following week and I saw that. I guess I was a little selective in listening to critics. LOL. 2 of the worse sequels ever in back to back weeks. Fun times.  At least we got the second two of the Nic Cage action movie run that month  Con Air and Face/Off. 

Edited by emoviefan

24 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Seems a bit soon for that given all the other stuff they want to promote. Also isn't Wes Ball doing Zelda next?

Yeah I guess in hindsight it’ll probably just be a trade announcement, since I doubt it will come out in the next two years. But I could see them getting another director if Ball is too busy. Who knows?

19 minutes ago, KGPatt2 said:

About what I expected domestically. End around $165 million.

Not what I expected internationally. Disappointing, and probably won't make it to $400 million overall because of this. Should still get a sequel, though.

The films are solid but not many people are clamoring for more Planet of the Apes.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

Yeah did not see Speed 2 in the theater once those reviews came in. They were really bad.

What are you talking about? Siskel and Ebert loved it!

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Chomping at the bit to do my Twister rewatch or more like my 50th. Going to wait to closer to release of Twisters.  Jan Debont what a one two punch he started his directing career with after being one of the top DOP's for years. Speed and then Twister.  Speed turns 30 tomorrow. Will do my 50th rewatch of that this week.  He then directed 3 movies that all flopped commercially and critcally.  Speed 2, The Haunting and Tomb Raider 2. That was it for him.

Die Hard, Hunt for Red October, Basic Instinct, Black Rain, All the Right Moves, to name but a few. The man is a legend. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Burnett said:

What are you talking about? Siskel and Ebert loved it!

That's right!. That was a infamous moment for the two legends. LOL   Just checked RT and it sits at 4% from critics and 16% audience score. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I think Disney has to be smart here. 

If they make a sequel, they can probably make for the same amount as I think there has to be covid protocols inflation here. Maybe 170M at most for the sequel.

Another is the death of the Chinese market and more Asian markets for Hollywood that used to inflate previous movies.

And that the movie is performing very well all that considered. Strong OW, strong legs and good WoM. Movie will end with 380M-390M. 

They either get scared of the risk or bet on its potential, which I think it's just so there. I think a sequel has a strong growth.

Edited by justnumbers
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

don’t forget all the iconic movies he was DP on! 

Die Hard, Hunt for Red October, Basic Instinct, Black Rain, All the Right Moves, to name but a few. The man is a legend. 

I said in my post he was one of the Top DP's for years. Don't skim my posts! LOL.  Just kidding.  All good. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

I said in my post he was one of the Top DP's for years. Don't skim my posts! LOL.  Just kidding.  All good. 

Duly edited to take out the ‘don’t forget’ bit!

This is what happens when I’m monitoring the thread and watching the French Open final.  Probably how most people are watching Hit Man. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Duly edited to take out the ‘don’t forget’ bit!

This is what happens when I’m monitoring the thread and watching the French Open final.  Probably how most people are watching Hit Man. 

Yep that's what Ted S wants. People half watching movies on Netflix and forgetting them 5 minutes later. But you know his son watches Lawrence Of Arabia on his phone and it does not lose a thing. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

That's right!. That was an infamous moment for the two legends. LOL   Just checked RT and it sits at 4% from critics and 16% audience score. 

One of my favorite Siskel and Ebert moments was how Roger was the only critic in America who liked the Burt Reynolds kids movie Cop and a Half, and Gene kept giving him shit for liking a movie that anybody with eyes could see was shit. They even went on a tangent about Cop and a Half while reviewing Broken Arrow three years later.

You gotta respect Roger’s honesty and integrity I guess. :lol:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Pretty good for BB ROD. About 30 million more for the WW opening than the projections. Pays to be cautious and conservative I guess. Now let WOM and legs with summer weekdays kick in.

What was up with those last minute "30 Million" projections?  Was that just a studio low ball, I knew it wasn't going that low.  I also remember the WW projections being 70-75 Million.   I think Domestic Tracking was much closer though.