Eric is Quiet

INSIDE OUT 2 WEEKEND THREAD | 155M DOM, 140M OS | Summer is back, Disney saves the day! | πŸ˜‚πŸ˜’πŸ˜‘πŸ€’πŸ˜±πŸ˜°πŸ˜’πŸ₯±πŸ˜³

2 minutes ago, Menor the Destroyer said:

If you're comparing against the first then almost every movie ever made has "tepid" reviews lmaoΒ 

Β 

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

Not being as well loved as the previous movie is not tepid.Β 

Β 

Your guyses responses would make sense if the MC score was like 81 or something like Furiosa v Mad Max. But 74 is lower than Finding Dory's 77. Are we going to say Finding Dory was also critically acclaimed?

Just now, ringedmortality said:

Β 

Β 

Your guyses responses would make sense if the MC score was like 81 or something like Furiosa v Mad Max. But 74 is lower than Finding Dory's 77. Are we going to say Finding Dory was also critically acclaimed?

I mean if you look at the Rotten Tomatoes scores… yeah? Finding Dory was critically acclaimed.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

Β 

Β 

Yes.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Β 

Uhh. .. yes?Β 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I'm a little wistful about this huge box office performance. While it is good for Pixar for a movie to be a smash hit, it's another sequel, which I'm not too crazy about. I yearn for original stories from Pixar, but that's not incentivized now. But franchises have to come from somewhere, I suppose.

I've been saying it for years at this point but the reason Universal has outperformed Disney in animation (box office wise) is due to sequels/known IP* and that once Disney put sequels out they would perform incredibly well compared to their originals. Still IO2 is outperforming my highest expectations right now and I love to see it.Β 

Β 

* although Lightyear was a huge misfire for Pixar in that regardΒ 

Β 

That said if originals from WDAS/Pixar can start bringing in numbers around Elemental and perform well on streaming I see no reason why they wouldn't still take a chance on them and it gives them more sequel fodder in the future with the likes of Encanto 2 or Elemental 2.

Β 

Back to Inside Out 2 I still think it was funny that only a few days ago certain people were still dying to keep expectations in check and that $100m might not be happening LOL

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Potiki said:

Elemental 2

I heard Peter Sohn was pitching that. Dunno if that gets canned as director's catharsis, or if they see a gold mine in a franchise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Β 

Β 

Once again tepid and and not as good are not the same.Β 

The good legs party is over for Garfield and If, unsurprisingly. Least IF is passing $100m. IF still needs to pick up overseas to become a hit though, don’t know if it has anywhere left.Β 

5 hours ago, AniNate said:

I buy Glen Powell starpower now since Hit Man seems to be drawing a big Netflix audience

Didn’t it kind of flop considering all the rare Netflix promo? 10.8m views.Β 
Β 

Maybe it’ll pick up next week. Can’t help but assume they were hoping for a biggie though with all the chat shows, premieres, interviews that they don’t often do.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PatrickvD said:

If a movie looks good it will put butts in seats. It’s that simple. And this is well deserved.

It would be nice if that was the way it always worked, but sometimes very good movies bomb.

But, yeah, Disney did a good selling job on this and it going to be huge,huge, hit..something The Mouse needed badly after last yearr.

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Didn’t it kind of flop considering all the rare Netflix promo? 10.8m views.Β 
Β 

Maybe it’ll pick up next week. Can’t help but assume they were hoping for a biggie though with all the chat shows, premieres, interviews that they don’t often do.

Β 

Idk, I just saw it was the #1 movie. I know everyone was quick to deem three body problem a whiff early on

Β 

Β 

Edited by AniNate

4 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

With Deadline going that high that early, I guess $150m is the benchmark to look at this weekend.Β 

Which would be amazing, given how tickets sales are permanently down over all.

This looks to be like Spiderman NWH, a rare film that can perfrom like a pre 2020 film.Β 

But the key word is "rare" ; you will not see this very often.Β 

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

Β 

For some families, this might be the only movie they go see this year much less the month.

This is key. Very few films are going to perfrom like IO2 seems posed to with the huge reduction in thater attendence because of streaming.

And looks as if Deadpool 3, though not a family movie, will also perfrom really well.

Β 

34 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I'm a little wistful about this huge box office performance. While it is good for Pixar for a movie to be a smash hit, it's another sequel, which I'm not too crazy about. I yearn for original stories from Pixar, but that's not incentivized now. But franchises have to come from somewhere, I suppose.

I agree but I think a lot of the onus is on the audience here. They have to show up. Elemental was the first test (for Pixar anyway). Elio will be another test. Even if the overall number was low, the strong legs for Elemental means the projects for Elio are promising, given it's well done.

Edited by Insomnia
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Menor the Destroyer said:

Β 

Calling the critical reception tepid makes that word meaningless.

Β Agreed. 92% RT rating is not tepid by any definition of the word I know.

It's remarkable how reluctant trades were to predict over $100M even a couple of days ago and we're now watching for $150M.

Β 

I'm wondering how long we need to wait until Ryan Reynolds releases a promo vignette that shows the Inside Out emotions inside his and Jackman's head.Β 

Β 

They must have that set up right?