Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (6/21-23)

3 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

1.45m for The Bikeriders.... could be good for teens OW?? 

If it's not frontloaded for some reason of course. Sales look good to me for tonight

Northman had 1.35m and opened to 12.2m OW. I cannot see The Bikeriders having a worse IM than Northman

Not with 3.8m Friday including previews. That preview number included BO from advanced screenings as well. Not sure what is the split. 

15 minutes ago, Eric is Anxious said:

Great hold for Garfield , good for Apes ( 170M is locked) , i don't know if The Bikeriders begin correct or meh.

For the top 2 , Bad Boys will finish around 190M for me , he built a club with KF4 and G&K .

For IO2, it continues his great run .

Predictions :

Low prediction (28M)

28M

35M (+25%)

27M (-23%)

Total : 90M

High Prediction (30M)

30M

37,5M (+25%)

29M (-23%)

Total : 96,5M

I expect Saturday jump between Dory and Incredibles 2/Toy Story 4 and a Sunday drop around the same as Father Day.

But the fact that he plays like Barbie and Mario is insane .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

Not with 3.8m Friday including previews. That preview number included BO from advanced screenings as well. Not sure what is the split. 

It had 1 early "Q&A" screening on Wednesday in what looked like just 100 theaters or so. I can't imagine it did much more than 100k. But I'm unsure of the Theater Count on that

That 3.8m Friday including previews feels like Deadline playing it safe to me. At least I hope so

10 minutes ago, Unfitclock said:

That Friday number for the Bikeriders seems way too frontloaded

Yeah, Deadline's wording makes it sound like there were more screenings before Thursday, but I don't remember seeing any in the Chicagoland area at least? If it was just from Thursday, a sub-3 previews-to-Friday multiplier seems a bit harsh. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

nothing but crazy. An second weekend equal to the opening weekend of its predecessor.

Another movie also did that this year

dune-part-two-title-card.gif

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JonathanMB said:

Yeah, Deadline's wording makes it sound like there were more screenings before Thursday, but I don't remember seeing any in the Chicagoland area at least? If it was just from Thursday, a sub-3 previews-to-Friday multiplier seems a bit harsh. 

Yeah I don't think there was a single one in the DFW area. There was 1 scheduled IIRC but it was at an Alamo Drafthouse that got shutdown

Hey guys! New to the Box Office Theory Forum, but I'm as much a lover and fanatic of the box office as the rest of you. 

It's literally insane that Inside Out 2 is doing this well and is going to be within strking distance of the first film's domestic gross (356.46 million) by the end of Sunday. Calling a final domestic gross of $550M+ and 600M+ if it can hold its own against Despicable Me 4. 

I don't think it'll reach $100M for the entire second weekend, but definitely anything between $85M-$95M is a sure bet. 

Also, here's hoping that unlike what Deadline just reported that Bad Boys: Ride or Die has a much stronger hold than 53% and that The Bikeriders can at least top $10M

• Like 5
  • Heart 1

Outside the top 5 is Vertical Entertainment’s widest release ever, the Russell Crowe genre movie The Exorcism, financed by Miramax, at 2,240 theaters. Slammed with a 32% Rotten Tomatoes critics score and 50% audience, the movie is looking at an $800K Friday, $1.85M 3-day per industry estimates. I hear in regards to the economics of the pic for Vertical, it’s a low threshold, nothing to lose their shirt over. I understand those polled believed it was a sequel to Crowe’s genre movie from last year, The Pope’s Exorcist, however, he’s not playing a priest in this movie, but a troubled actor.

In the tracking thread I mentioned I would never even had heard of this movie if I didnt follow forums like this or Reddit.  People thinking it's a sequel to Pope's Exorcist makes sense. 

32 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

it has exceeded my expectations. I would have been ok with low 80s 2nd weekend considering so much demand has been burned with mid week holiday. But its a juggernaut and so keeps chugging along. 

That said I would wait for evening update for Volde/Charlie. Early number for holdovers could be off. 

I just realized we didn't see Rth this weekend. Where did he go? When I was still lurking I remember he would make an appearance every big weekend.

4 minutes ago, Insomnia said:

I just realized we didn't see Rth this weekend. Where did he go? When I was still lurking I remember he would make an appearance every big weekend.

He likely is busy with his personal life. It's not the first time he's dipped for a long period, and it's very understandable.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Eric is Anxious said:

He likely is busy with his personal life. It's not the first time he's dipped for a long period, and it's very understandable.

Nah we don't pay him all this money so he can have a "personal life".

Monkey Reaction GIF by Justin

• Like 1

Ah if people did think The Exorcism was The Pope’s Exorcist 2 then that spells trouble for The Pope’s Exorcist 2 haha. 

Hopefully Bikeriders is over $10m. Not my kind of film, but just want something like that to open over $10m. 

• Like 1

If The Bikeriders can somehow come close to matching the $15M opening of No Hard Feelings last year that would be a bonus. This same weekend last year was similarly empty; just NHF and the wide expansion of Asteroid City. All that to say it's not like there's much for this weekend's debuts to match.

With Horizon's sales coming around somewhat and A Quiet Place chugging along, next weekend should be able to match the $60M of Indiana Jones plus whatever Ruby Gillman made on the equivalent weekend last year as well.

Add in the obvious boost from the juggernaut Inside Out 2 and things are looking pretty good going forward. 

Edited by Insomnia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedorito said:

Slight chance IO2 blocks A Quiet Place: Day One from debuting at #1 next week?

I think there's like a 25% chance that A Quiet Place: Day One opens at #1 next weekend. Due to how strong the word-of-mouth and overall run of Inside Out 2 has been so far, it would be hard to see it fall below $50M next weekend. 

Day One does have a slight chance at topping IO2, but it has to do open to at least more than $50M and Inside Out 2 either has to do less than $90M this weekend or be hurt by losing most of its PLFs to A Quiet Place next weekend. 

We'll see and I would love for A Quiet Place: Day One to surprise all of us, but I'm betting on the Pixar sequel. 

40 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Hey guys! New to the Box Office Theory Forum, but I'm as much a lover and fanatic of the box office as the rest of you. 

It's literally insane that Inside Out 2 is doing this well and is going to be within striking distance of the first film's domestic gross (356.46 million) by the end of Sunday. Calling a final domestic gross of $550M+ and 600M+ if it can hold its own against Despicable Me 4. 

I don't think it'll reach $100M for the entire second weekend, but definitely anything between $85M-$95M is a sure bet. 

Also, here's hoping that unlike what Deadline just reported that Bad Boys: Ride or Die has a much stronger hold than 53% and that The Bikeriders can at least top $10M

Welcome To Our Box Office Theory Forum!!! ❤️

I hope you enjoy ya stay. Most of us are friendly, so do not be too shyyy.

The moderators are cool too, so if you are having a problem with anyone, they are great in responding! :D

What is the most exciting box office run you were able to experience or witness?

Also, stan TWICE!

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

Welcome To Our Box Office Theory Forum!!! ❤️

I hope you enjoy ya stay. Most of us are friendly, so do not be too shyyy.

The moderators are cool too, so if you are having a problem with anyone, they are great in responding! :D

What is the most exciting box office run you were able to experience or witness?

Also, stan TWICE!

Thanks!

Can't think of specifically one box office run, but I can name you a lot. Avengers: Endgame, Spider-Man: No Way Home, Top Gun: Maverick, Avatar: The Way of Water, The Super Mario Bros. Movie, Barbenheimer, and so much more. 

There's been a lot of incredible box office runs that I've been able to witness, but now it's even more exciting because I am even more crazy/knowledgable about this stuff than I was 5 years ago. 

• Heart 1