Eric Deetz

Fourth of July/Despicable Me 4 Weekend Thread | 122.61M 5-Day Opening

1 hour ago, M37 said:

Gladiator 2

Reveal hidden contents

It won’t mean theaters are dead, but that there just is a much lower ceiling for certain genres of film that aren’t significantly enhanced by the large screen format and/or the communal nature of a mixed audience. And at some point, the return (gross) doesn’t justify the cost (budget) and they either entirely shift to steaming, or just disappear as a genre 

15 minutes ago, M37 said:

But that’s the rub: if these films, with a high value IP attached, cannot be made for a much smaller amount, and not enough audience is left/will show up to justify such a large investment, why would it make any financial success to keep producing them? And certainly makes original or even less well known properties an even riskier proposition to greenlight

Hide contents

Also, I’d take the under on $500M for G3, prob even under G1 ($465M). Dial of Destiny was under $400M WW

Ooh I have the perfect club for you 😉

9 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Will not go that far but yeah the way  every weekend thread goes down that rabbit hole at some point anymore is just such a mood killer.

The thing is that the doom spiral isn’t started by “doomers” most of the time, it’s kicked off by films underperforming or people talking about a potential doom spiral unprompted. If you look at this post it’s 15 pages of Despicable Me not falling off like Ice Age, IO2 O/U 650M domestic, and DM4 surging with strong walkups. Then we get to talking about catching up with 2023’s numbers which kicks off “theaters are dead” discourse.

• Like 2

Gladiator 2 gonna be a big hit, saw a ton of casuals sharing the Denzel photo and it just feels buzzy in general. Trailer gonna hit with major buzz Tuesday. Gotta be good though. Big time if considering the writer/director combo.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Am kind of rooting for fly me to the moon now with the generally positive reception so far. Would help the vibes a lot on multiple fronts it ends up surprising with a 20-30 mil opening.

In my case, I really like the trailers for Fly Me to the Moon. So, I really hope the movie is good and has a good reception.

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Gladiator 2 gonna be a big hit, saw a ton of casuals sharing the Denzel photo and it just feels buzzy in general. Trailer gonna hit with major buzz Tuesday. Gotta be good though. Big time if considering the writer/director combo.

yeah, it's another Napoleon. on paper should be huge.

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think Denzel is going to really be one of the major if not the major selling point for this movie with the casuals. If he brings some of that Training Day/American Gangster  anti-hero /villain charisma to this role Watch out.

• Like 2

I mean Gladiator's something only old white guys are into. Not gonna speak globally, but I would think the usual 140-180M for high-end dad movies is what to expect box office wise.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 3

I mean this is totally anecdotal and not trying to get into "I have a black friend territory" but I've seen five black friends of mine share a meme going around about how this is gonna be that kind of Denzel performance which is high engagement for any movie nowadays. I think people are underestimating how much attention he can draw if he's as good in the movie as everyone claims, which would combine with the white male audience. By the way....the average white dude who likes Gladiator is about 20 years younger than the Top Gun or Indiana Jones crowd. Totally different generation. It's a millenial crowd, not a Gen X or Boomer one.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Eric the Minion said:

I mean Gladiator's something only old white guys are into. Not gonna speak globally, but I would think the usual 140-180M for high-end dad movies is what to expect box office wise.

but if all of them come out it's gotta be 1 billie DOM. right?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Eric the Minion said:

Im leaning more towards 150-170m. It’s possible 200m domestic happens, but it seems really hard for movies to hit that milestone lately. KFP4, GxK, Kingdom, and perhaps Bad Boys (although I think that hits 200m barely) all didn’t hit the 200m milestone 

Edited by AnthonyJPHer

4 minutes ago, Eric the Minion said:

Well it is the perfect movie to come out two weeks after a election with two old White guys. Wait let me check the news and make sure that is still the plan....

5 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Well it is the perfect movie to come out two weeks after a election with two old White guys. Wait let me check the news and make sure that is still the plan....

Honey, it's too early for this.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I mean this is totally anecdotal and not trying to get into "I have a black friend territory" but I've seen five black friends of mine share a meme going around about how this is gonna be that kind of Denzel performance which is high engagement for any movie nowadays. I think people are underestimating how much attention he can draw if he's as good in the movie as everyone claims, which would combine with the white male audience. By the way....the average white dude who likes Gladiator is about 20 years younger than the Top Gun or Indiana Jones crowd. Totally different generation. It's a millenial crowd, not a Gen X or Boomer one.

I am just glad I am a Gen Xer who likes or loves all these movies  I was 7 when Raiders came out, 12 when Top Gun came out and 26 when Gladiator came out. Thinking there are boomers and Gen X men who do not love Gladiator is kind of weird.

Edited by emoviefan

getting Denzel is gonna be a big part of Gladiator’s hype. Don't be surprised if there’s audience surveys that have him be a consistent point of interest.

Speaking of sequels to Gen X classics, on an anecdotal note, my mom is very excited for Twisters and wants to see it in the theater. She doesn’t like going to theaters so it’s notable when she does. Granted there may be some bias cause Twister is one of her favorite movies but still. 

• Like 2

It makes zero sense why nothing is releasing the first two weeks of November. The election excuse makes no sense. Are they expecting riots at theaters or something? Gladiator 2 should move up to November 8. Veterans Day weekend 

Who else is getting positively sick of "white this" and "black that"? Holy shit.

If nobody outside of old white men (which isn't true at all) can appreciate a Roman Empire/gladiator epic then that's pretty pathetic, honestly. Let's stop putting people into neat little boxes and see what actually happens when the film comes out.

• Like 8

I don't know how this thread starting talking about Gladiator II, but if I could put in my two cents, I find it hard to believe that it will be a massive hit. 

Maybe people genuinely do care about a sequel to a massively successful film that came out 24 years ago, but I just can't see it. It could be one of those cases where there may be a ton of online interest, but no interest amongst general audiences. Oh, and since this film will probably have an R-rating (the first Gladiator did), good luck on trying to get younger people who were either too young to see the original Gladiator or weren't even born when it first came out. 

I would love to be proven wrong, but the hill for Gladiator II to climb to be successful is gonna be incredibly high.