Eric the Marxist

Fourth of July/Despicable Me 4 Weekend Thread | 122.61M 5-Day Opening

14 minutes ago, Eric the Minion said:

Uh. BB ROD is going to crap out at 193-197 just like KF4 and GXK unless Sony finds a way to drag it to 200m. Still pretty good all things considered though.

29 minutes ago, Eric the Minion said:

Barring any potential bad legs, DM4 opening so well really does have me questioning why Despicable Me 3 underperformed the way it did domestically (Yes, I know it still did fine). Cars 3 and Emoji were barely threats, especially compared to Inside Out 2 alone, and it's not like these movies get hurt by bad reviews at all. I guess Wonder Woman and Homecoming siphoned off some of the family audience, but I'm not sure if that's the main reason. It's just kind of a weird blip compared to every other movie before and after it.

I mean I am not an expert on this franchise and can't say for sure but 3rd one was awful and came out two years after the first Minions movie which was not received particularly well critically. It started the decrease trend on the franchise, at least domestically, which would have likely continued if they had made another mediocre movie in 2019. Luckily for them, COVID made Minions 2 be delayed to 2022, which at this point people had waited 5 years and were starving for a big family movie which kinda revived the franchise. Haven't seen Minions 2 or Despicable Me 4 but I have the impression that they are better received among general audiences than first Minions or third Despicable Me movie. 

• Like 2

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Not bad by IO2 to get to $30M considering the Friday but does mean unlikely it goes much higher than $650M.

There’s still Labor Day weekend coming soon.

• ...wtf 1

Despicable Me 4 is a much better movie than the third one and also had a better CinemaScore. In my view, it also had a lot of heart and references.

The ending song is amazing and it has nice surprises. Word of mouth is quite good for this one. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It's very important to talk about race and demographics considering they are the defining story of moviegoing in the post-COVID world, I just don't think Gladiator is as old and white as some people are making it out to be. It's more akin to something like the Matrix in terms of generation and demographic, which I know doesn't sound flattering given how the last Matrix performed, but the point is it isn't the American Sniper/Top Gun/Sound of Freedom crowd that has made this movie legendary.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 5

One thing IO2 might have going for it is after DM4, there's nothing else decent looking for kids until September. Harold and the Purple Crayon definitely doesn't look like a Mutant Mayhem, though it probably will still mean more theater losses.

23 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

How is 8 weeks from now a coming soon? 

It’ll be here before we know it.

8 minutes ago, AniNate said:

One thing IO2 might have going for it is after DM4, there's nothing else decent looking for kids until September. Harold and the Purple Crayon definitely doesn't look like a Mutant Mayhem, though it probably will still mean more theater losses.

Inside Out 2 should reach 600 million domestically within 2-3 weeks.

50 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

The fact that this movie dropped less than 30% internationally in the face of direct competition is just insane. I thought it would do about $65M internationally this weekend, but $78.3M? That's incredible!

Also, if Inside Out 2 keeps having holds like this internationally, we could see a worldwide total above $1.5B and it might just challenge 2019's The Lion King worldwide. That's an insanely tall order, but with little to no direct competition for the rest of the summer, this movie is in great shape to keep legging out until we get past Labor Day. 

Even domestically, it should still end up at $650M. Unlike Barbie which had its weekdays lessened as summer was wrapping up, Inside Out 2's weekdays should continue to be strong for a good long while because we'll be in the heat of the summer at least for another month. That should keep it on track to keep pacing ahead of Barbie, especially now that Despicable Me 4 is out of the way. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I’m choosing to refrain from Gladiator II discussion from now on, but since people are talking about it here I’ll (very shamelessly) plug my club:

And I will refrain from commenting about this other than to say I am not joining it.

For both Sound of Hope and MaXXX being "frontloaded", this is what happens when multiple days of previews are factored into the opening day. It makes it hard to give true context to being frontloaded when it's not a true OD. 

Glad to see IO2 and DM4 both come in on the upper end of my expectations, particularly with the Fridays for both of them. 

• Like 3