AniNate

7/12 weekend thread: Longlegs $22.4m, To the Moon $9.4m

Just looked at all the Friday numbers reported and outside of Fly Me to the Moon which I hoped did a lot better than just barely hitting double digits, everything else is doing very well. 

Despicable Me 4 is set to have a fantastic second weekend hold (which makes $325M-$350M more likely), Longlegs should be within the $20M range, and Inside Out 2 will be right around where Toy Story 4 was on this same exact weekend five years ago. Here's hoping that it can keep stabalizing for the remainder of it's run. 

Oh, and if Inside Out 2 manages to pull in $75M worldwide this weekend ($55M internationally and $20M domestically), that would put it just over The Super Mario Bros. Movie's worldwide total ($1.362B). Just remarkable!

• Like 4

On 7/12/2024 at 4:31 PM, TalismanRing said:

An 11.4x multi in the summer.  Doubtful

No Hard Feelings did  7.14 in June

Lost City did 12.18 in March

Could get there now after a $4.5m Friday. 

Hot take: People are saying that Channing and ScarJo aren't draws, but Fly Me To The Moon's trailers and concept were so heatless and utterly lacking in any semblance of rom or com that the fact this is going to do 10m is a testament to the fact that they'd open a Ticket To Paradise or Anyone But You to 20m+ IMO.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Hot take: People are saying that Channing and ScarJo aren't draws, but Fly Me To The Moon's trailers and concept were so heatless and utterly lacking in any semblance of rom or com that the fact this is going to do 10m is a testament to the fact that they'd open a Ticket To Paradise or Anyone But You to 20m+ IMO.

Exactly! Unlike something like The Lost City, No Hard Feelings, or Ticket to Paradise, the trailers didn't sell Fly Me to the Moon as being especially funny. It mainly sold it as a cute rom-com that just so happens to take place during the Space Race. 

Also, even if Scarlett Johansson and Channing Tatum may be draws for a significantly older audience, they are still very popular amongst younger people. Maybe if they were in a rom-com that wasn't connected to an era that most young people don't really care about (and the trailer sold the movie as being really funny), we could've been looking at a $20M+ opening or at least something on par with Ticket to Paradise. 

Edited by Ryan C

I notice that Wednesday Illumination surpass 4B domestic and 10B Worldwide this week.

Average (outside DM4) : DOM  : around 275M , Worldwide : 693M

Total Budget : 1,08B

Beneficts (since 2012) : around 3,18B dollars.

I wonder just how “young” of crowds people like ScarJo could even draw at this point. I get that Fly Me to the Moon isn’t targeting teenagers, but I had a disturbing interaction with some 16-17 year old students of mine about a month ago.

Was trying to use a famous person as an example during a lesson, so I was tryna think of who the kids would know. I said Sydney Sweeney. They proceeded to tell me I was “showing my age” because she’s an “old people celebrity.” I asked them who they would know better and they said “Livy Dunne, Baby Gronk, or Kai Cenat.”

I had no idea who any of those were.

• Haha 4
  • ...wtf 3

13 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'd say they are unquestionably draws at this point. It's popular to claim the Avengers have little to no pull outside those roles, and there's certainly evidence to such (see: how little good luck the Chris guys have enjoyed otherwise during their entire time in the franchise), but it was a decade ago this month that ScarJo carried Lucy to a $40M+ opening all by herself. And Tatum's been as viable a leading man as anyone ever since he carried three movies that were sold on him as the star past $100M+ totals a dozen years ago.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'd say they are unquestionably draws at this point. It's popular to claim the Avengers have little to no pull outside those roles, and there's certainly evidence to such (see: how little good luck the Chris guys have enjoyed otherwise during their entire time in the franchise), but it was a decade ago this month that ScarJo carried Lucy to a $40M+ opening all by herself. And Tatum's been as viable a leading man as anyone ever since he carried three movies that were sold on him as the star past $100M+ totals a dozen years ago.

It also helps that Scarlett Johansson's first breakout success wasn't when she first played Black Widow in Iron Man 2. It may be her most popular role now, but her first breakout role was nearly ten years prior to Iron Man 2 with Lost in Translation. Unlike what happened Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans, Johansson was already well-known prior to playing Black Widow, so people weren't only associating her with just that one role and literally nothing else.

11 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I wonder just how “young” of crowds people like ScarJo could even draw at this point. I get that Fly Me to the Moon isn’t targeting teenagers, but I had a disturbing interaction with some 16-17 year old students of mine about a month ago.

Was trying to use a famous person as an example during a lesson, so I was tryna think of who the kids would know. I said Sydney Sweeney. They proceeded to tell me I was “showing my age” because she’s an “old people celebrity.” I asked them who they would know better and they said “Livy Dunne, Baby Gronk, or Kai Cenat.”

I'm surprised you don't know Kai Cenat?

• Astonished 1

Decent weekend but the way things stand we are still gonna fall just short of the 2023 comp. Would be nice if everything ends up opening or holding just a little better to keep that winning streak alive one more week, especially since this weekend more or less fulfills the "balance" demand people have been clamoring for.

The 12 month comparison is likely gonna be an uphill battle after next weekend unless Twisters by some miracle opens around $250mil. Awards bait is starting to fill in the fall slate though so hopefully there will be more Longlegs type breakouts to support the robust looking blockbuster schedule the rest of the year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

It also helps that Scarlett Johansson's first breakout success wasn't when she first played Black Widow in Iron Man 2. It may be her most popular role now, but her first breakout role was nearly ten years prior to Iron Man 2 with Lost in Translation. Unlike what happened Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans, Johansson was already well-known prior to playing Black Widow, so people weren't only associating her with just that one role and literally nothing else.

I feel like most people don't realize just how long ScarJo has really been around. This month also marks the 30th anniversary of her acting debut (a small role in Rob Reiner's infamous star-studded bomb North)!

Edited by filmlover

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I feel like most people don't realize just how long ScarJo has really been around. This month also marks the 30th anniversary of her acting debut (a small role in Rob Reiner's infamous star-studded bomb North)!

That might be the only movie where Anton Ego's quote "The average piece of junk is worth more than the criticism designating it so" doesn't hold true

North movie review & film summary (1994) | Roger Ebert

Honestly, Fly Me is in a weird spot where the timeline and concept really only appeals to the olds like my mom who grew up in the 60s, which puts it at a disadvantage considering the olds don’t go to movies anymore. Plus the romcom stuff was basically ignored in favor of the faked moon landing story, which just seemed very silly and out of left field. Plus kind of tone-deaf, considering how harmful these conspiracies are in today’s climate. And it doesn’t seem they’re going for some Adam McKay-style “look at these idiots” angle. Add on the issue of not being an NTC, and middlig reviews, and there was really nothing to grab onto or get excited about.

Just now, AniNate said:

That might be the only movie where Anton Ego's quote "The average piece of junk is worth more than the criticism designating it so" doesn't hold true

North movie review & film summary (1994) | Roger Ebert

I've actually seen North and can confirm that it's the rare flop that fully deserves the terrible reputation it'll forever hold. How that much talent produced such a complete disaster remains a total mystery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

ah well that answers that question. Just marginally better than the Pixar re-issues.

it’s actually fairly solid and standard with modern re-releases. It’s on par with Shrek 2, and better than The Mummy. These things just don’t do much more than 1-2M really, barring the occasional Avatar or Phantom Menace rerelease.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DAJK said:

What the?? What reality are we living in?