AniNate

7/12 weekend thread: Longlegs $22.4m, To the Moon $9.4m

45 minutes ago, Eric Onion said:

Honestly, Fly Me is in a weird spot where the timeline and concept really only appeals to the olds like my mom who grew up in the 60s, which puts it at a disadvantage considering the olds don’t go to movies anymore. Plus the romcom stuff was basically ignored in favor of the faked moon landing story, which just seemed very silly and out of left field. Plus kind of tone-deaf, considering how harmful these conspiracies are in today’s climate. And it doesn’t seem they’re going for some Adam McKay-style “look at these idiots” angle. Add on the issue of not being an NTC, and middlig reviews, and there was really nothing to grab onto or get excited about.

I mean, the film makes it clear that this conspiracy is wrong.

I guess making a story about this is already alienating for many people.

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Decent weekend but the way things stand we are still gonna fall just short of the 2023 comp. Would be nice if everything ends up opening or holding just a little better to keep that winning streak alive one more week, especially since this weekend more or less fulfills the "balance" demand people have been clamoring for.

The 12 month comparison is likely gonna be an uphill battle after next weekend unless Twisters by some miracle opens around $250mil. Awards bait is starting to fill in the fall slate though so hopefully there will be more Longlegs type breakouts to support the robust looking blockbuster schedule the rest of the year.

July 2023 is simply too high to achieve even for pre-Covid years. DP3 may open to mega 170m but that is actually not much higher than Barbie and I doubt DP3 can come close to Barbie's final total too.  

2022 number is a more attainable target thanks to spillover from IO2 and AQP but if Twister surprised, July will be looking very good coming close to matching the Barbieheimer. 

I said this a few weeks ago, and I’m still aware that “adjusting” international numbers is a futile exercise. But I still enjoy doing it just to put into context just how big certain movies were worldwide.

For example, The Numbers has 2008’s Mamma Mia adjusted to 216M DOM from 144. If you similarly adjust the movie’s 550M intl gross, that puts it at 825(!)M overseas and over 1B WW. So technically, if they were released in 2024, we would have had 2 1B movies released on the same weekend with TDK and Mamma Mia. Goes to show how healthy the box office was in the late 2000’s.

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I said this a few weeks ago, and I’m still aware that “adjusting” international numbers is a futile exercise. But I still enjoy doing it just to put into context just how big certain movies were worldwide.

For example, The Numbers has 2008’s Mamma Mia adjusted to 216M DOM from 144. If you similarly adjust the movie’s 550M intl gross, that puts it at 825(!)M overseas and over 1B WW. So technically, if they were released in 2024, we would have had 2 1B movies released on the same weekend with TDK and Mamma Mia. Goes to show how healthy the box office was in the late 2000’s.

Dollar was also really weak then, which further complicates things...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Yep, Mamma Mia was the highest grossing film of all time for a while here in the UK. It passed Titanic in 2008. Wild! 

1 minute ago, Migs20242 said:

I thought the $17M was for the entire weekend. Thank God it isn't. $22M is fantastic for Longlegs.

Also, what a hilarious gif. 

• Thanks 1

My showing for Longlegs this afternoon wasn't very full but the night time shows were real busy. A very youthful audience that the brilliant marketing campaign was targeting is likely driving the numbers.

3 hours ago, Eric Onion said:

Still insane this is outopening all but one A24 movie. Hoping this will lead to Neon getting a better foothold in the indie scene. We can't just have A24/Searchlight doing all this.

Doing this in the aftermath of MaXXXine’s opening too (speaking of which that has fallen off a cliff quickly).

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

My showing for Longlegs this afternoon wasn't very full but the night time shows were real busy. A very youthful audience that the brilliant marketing campaign was targeting is likely driving the numbers.

Good for it, but I can’t imagine appealing to older high schoolers/college kids is going to do much for the movie’s legs.

15 hours ago, DAJK said:

I asked them who they would know better and they said “Livy Dunne, Baby Gronk, or Kai Cenat.”

I had no idea who any of those were.

Another day where I'm increasingly envious of the great firewall of China.    

• Like 1