AniNate

7/12 weekend thread: Longlegs $22.4m, To the Moon $9.4m

Yeah for the kind of horror film it is, it's not easy to figure out legs from that score. In general horror is at a disadvantage with Cinemascore though. Like, Smile has had the best legs of any horror film post-COVID and that received a B-. Plus aside from Oddity the next two weekends don't have any new horror competition, so that might help its holds. Right now I'd give it even odds to topple Parasite and become NEON's biggest hit ever.

Edited by JonathanMB

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The First Omen got great reviews for horror actually... pretty much the same type of reviews of A Quiet Place : Day One in both MC and RT. But yes, the marketing was abysmal, it makes it looks like a bad movie. 

Besides that i agreed with everything. Horror is a very reliable genre, constantly cheap with a very loyal group of lovers, but it have to be interesting. Studios can´t produce these things and throw at people expecting them to pay for it. 

Longlegs will be a genuine success. I´m excited about the next few months, i think Trap, Cuckoo, Alien Romulus, The Substance, Nosferatu, Terrifier 3 and Nightbitch all can surprise if they´re good like they looks like.

The First Omen definitely got good reviews (I liked it as well), but even with better or more prominent marketing, that movie's biggest long-term problem was it being attached to an IP that is close to 50 years old and is only popular amongst a certain demographic. Honestly, it might've done better and been easier to sell to audiences if there was no connection to The Omen at all, but I digress. 

Anyways, I definitely agree with what you said. Horror is cheap to make, but if you have something that looks genuinely interesting or a kick-ass concept, the people will show up. I loved Longlegs when I saw it earlier today and it's hands down my favorite horror film of the year, but I'm just waiting for Robert Eggers' Nosferatu to knock my socks off. That movie looks amazing and a literal match made in heaven. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, PrinceRico said:

Bad Cinamascore but expected after reading the WOM for Longlegs.

Lonlegs is a heavy, dark and bleak movie. A C+ CinemaScore is actually great news for it, given how it's not audience friendly.

Hell, this share the same CinemaScore with Barbarian, The Nun 2, Imaginary, Saw 1 and Midsommar. This movie got a higher CinemaScore than a lot of horror flicks that were much more audience friendly.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

The First Omen definitely got good reviews (I liked it as well), but even with better or more prominent marketing, that movie's biggest long-term problem was it being attached to an IP that is close to 50 years old and is only popular amongst a certain demographic

I don't know. After two mediocre sequels ages ago (in 78 and  in 81) and a bad tv movie (1991) The omen remake still was able to make 120 mln in 2006 while getting terrible reviews and bad audiense scores

I stll blame marketing 

Edited by cinema pal

Memorable C+ is better than forgettable A. That is why so many A grade movie fail to gain leg but sometime B or C work better for legs because they don’t make audience feel good but people remember them.

• Like 3

We'll see and C+ for Longlegs is a decent sign considering, but I feel like Midsommar and Hereditary more lived up to what they were selling then Longlegs did imo.

Hereditary and Midsommar became two of the most popular horror films of the 2010’s, as others have pointed out. Longlegs is an indie film, its a dark, bleak, disturbing slower burn. C+ is nothing to worry about. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Memorable C+ is better than forgettable A. That is why so many A grade movie fail to gain leg but sometime B or C work better for legs because they don’t make audience feel good but people remember them.

Yeah, audience scores can never account for the passion of WOM, and how the people who liked a movie more are more likely to get other people to see it. This year has now had three Christian flicks score an A+ and they barely gave a bump to their legs (well, I guess we'll see with Possum Trot but I'm not optimistic). And Wolf of Wall Street received one of the worst scores of Scorsese's career (a C!) and still legged out to become one of his biggest hits ever and arguably his most iconic film, give or take Goodfellas.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I wonder how much The Lion King re-release is going to do. It's only going to be one week in theaters, I guess.

Sales near me have been anemic, so not much better than the other Disney re-releases I imagine.

Edited by filmlover

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Sales near me have been anemic, so not much like the other Disney re-releases I imagine.

More akin to the Pixar re-issues earlier in the year then. I wonder if they're going to release the numbers.

Edited by cannastop

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Basically the same PTA for Sing Sing as TV Glow and Love Lies Bleeding. Maybe it'll play better in a wide release though. 

Edited by AniNate