Eric the Marxist

Twisters (2024) Spoiler Thread

Twisters (2024)  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

twister is my favorite movie of all time. so i want to preface my review with that lol because i kind of wanted to hate this. especially after universal turned down hunts idea for a true sequel years ago.

truth be told, it’s a lot of fun, feels uniquely its own and has two leads that fucking radiate chemistry. just like helen hunt and bill paxton i was totally convinced they were who they said they were. the effects (except for one scene in the final climax) look excellent. oddly enough that scene was what they showed at cinemacon and warned post wasn’t done and it still looks off in the final cut. 

tries to replicate the importance of the first soundtrack and definitely is not as successful but there are a few standouts. also felt the supporting cast was sooooo much weaker and very stereotyped.

go in to just have a good time and i really think you will. 7/10

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 1

I kinda wish Daisy & Glen started working together earlier in the film. It’s sooo much fun once they abandon their crews and work together. 

• Like 2

So Maura Tierney’s character was clearly meant to be Helen Hunt but Helen Hunt turned them down, right? The way she emerges from the shadows in her first scene had me thinking that it was going to be a surprise cameo. Couple that with the way they kept trying to hide the surname of Daisy Edgar Jones’s character for the first half of the film. Felt like they had to rewrite it slightly there.

Kinda glad it wasn’t overloaded with “member Twister?” callbacks though and just did its own thing instead. It had similarities obviously, but it was different enough to not feel like a rehash.

Also, the whole final tornado sequence was great in this. Interesting that they set that bit it in El Reno too considering the monster tornado they had there a few years back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

So Maura Tierney’s character was clearly meant to be Helen Hunt but Helen Hunt turned them down, right? The way she emerges from the shadows in her first scene had me thinking that it was going to be a surprise cameo. Couple that with the way they kept trying to hide the surname of Daisy Edgar Jones’s character for the first half of the film. Felt like they had to rewrite it slightly there.

Kinda glad it wasn’t overloaded with “member Twister?” callbacks though and just did its own thing instead. It had similarities obviously, but it was different enough to not feel like a rehash.

Also, the whole final tornado sequence was great in this. Interesting that they set that bit it in El Reno too considering the monster tornado they had there a few years back.

no hunt approached and was in talks with universal right before the pandemic about a sequel she wanted to produce not star in. so i don’t think the role of the mom was ever hers to play 

The last twenty minutes absolutely rips. 

When Kate took the truck and started heading for the twister I was getting major Back to the Future type finale chills. Can’t explain it, but internally I was cheering “Go on Kate!”  Proper edge of the seat excitement, and proof this character’s arc had done a number on me.  

• Like 2

B

Pros
- Glen Powell is the next Tom Cruise. He exudes charm. 
- Fantastic FX. The tornados were impressive. 
- side characters were enjoyable

Cons
- the lead actress was bland. Not a good actor either. 
- the movie should have had Glen out in front as the clear hero. But I get why not. For woke reasons. 
- a bit of a retread of Twister with some of the same beats from the first

• Knock It Off 4

7 hours ago, lilmac said:

- the movie should have had Glen out in front as the clear hero. But I get why not. For woke reasons. 

Eh I actually don't see this as woke at all. They wanted the male to be the classic cocky fun lead, they need a ying to that yang, the female lead had to be the more hesitant initially, TBH I thought it worked well. 

There has been way too much forced woke stuff in Hollywood over the last few years, and it just feels so phony, but I don't see this as that at all tbh. Did woke exist in 1996? Because Hunt's character was the assertive leader of that group gradually getting Paxton back into it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

For once second I was kinda hoping Corenswet would appear as Superman. :hahaha:stop GIF

He has a bigger role than I expected. 

41 minutes ago, excel1 said:

He has a bigger role than I expected. 

He hasn't been able to promote since he has been shooting SUPERMAN. His voice in so Clark in this movie. lol

I thought it was great fun. Half of the crowd I was with weren’t as enthusiastic though.

I actually thought Daisy was very likeable, I see that’s not the consensus though. Powell and Corenswet were great eye candy too. I finished my whole popcorn.

Two big cons:

1. needed more deaths to up the ante/threat. Corenswet and a few of Glen’s crew should’ve been killed off (sorry). 

2. should’ve given us a 90’s style kiss at the end, and didn’t have to be an airport cliche. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I thought it was great fun. Half of the crowd I was with weren’t as enthusiastic though.

I actually thought Daisy was very likeable, I see that’s not the consensus though. Powell and Corenswet were great eye candy too. I finished my whole popcorn.

Two big cons:

1. needed more deaths to up the ante/threat. Corenswet and a few of Glen’s crew should’ve been killed off (sorry). 

2. should’ve given us a 90’s style kiss at the end, and didn’t have to be an airport cliche. 

the crazy thing is they FILMED the 90s style kiss you can find it on twitter.  i guess they didn’t want to end so on the nose of the og 

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

the crazy thing is they FILMED the 90s style kiss you can find it on twitter.  i guess they didn’t want to end so on the nose of the og 

Oh no way! Strange choice! 

10 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Given that Corensupes is set up as this film's Cary Elwes corporate shill stand-in, I was definitely expecting him to bite the dust.

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 2

Corenswet's complete 1-note asshole character was amusing. Not getting the occasional take that DEJ/Kate were boring etc. I thought he arc was much better than I ever expected. Her scene in the barn was 100% on point. The movie could/should have felt slow during that moment but didn't at all. 

Only real complaint I have is, while there is plenty of action and plenty of tornados, the film only has 1 true "WOW" shot (the single shot of the Javy driven truck reversing backwards as the tornado roars into the screen ahead of them) and no true iconic moment, whereas the original film had number of them (the opening scene, the first tornado chase wrecking the barn as it careen towards the yellow truck,  flying cows, raining farming equipment, rolling house/driving through it). This film felt noticeably less creative on that front. Sure, the very CGI shots of fireworks and fire tornado are cool, but they look like a cartoon and a quick. 

Also 100% on board with the notion that Maura Tierney's character was supposed to be Jo Harding originally. The Mom feels so random and so forced here.  

Edited by excel1
  • Like 3