Eric Deetz

Twisters (2024) Spoiler Thread

Twisters (2024)  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

I like the pan-in shot of the tornado approaching the truck after it's drilled into the ground. Was also an amusing visual gag that it ends up fizzling out right before it hits.

Chung had a good eye for the close-up intensity as well, did feel myself clenching my seat when the characters were caught near or inside the 'naders.

• Like 1

Major credit needs to go to the screenplay, btw. After sitting on it a bit, this really is a rock solid character driven story at its core. Especially within the context of its subject matter, the character of Kate and her arc are compellingly crafted and excellently done. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I like the pan-in shot of the tornado approaching the truck after it's drilled into the ground. Was also an amusing visual gag that it ends up fizzling out right before it hits.

Chung had a good eye for the close-up intensity as well, did feel myself clenching my seat when the characters were caught near or inside the 'naders.

Take it from someone who remembers watching Twister in theaters. Half the theater braced before the truck plows into the house. People were dodging the tractors and combines as they fell from the sky. The tornados felt truly menacing. That type of atmosphere is missing here, it is just more than offset by the stronger characters.

• Like 1

Nice to see Maura Tierney in a supportive mom role again as a fan of her since her ER work. Iron Claw was a good movie but she had to play aloof and uncaring in that. 

Edited by AniNate

12 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Take it from someone who remembers watching Twister in theaters. Half the theater braced before the truck plows into the house. People were dodging the tractors and combines as they fell from the sky. The tornados felt truly menacing. That type of atmosphere is missing here, it is just more than offset by the stronger characters.

Yeah the tornadoes did not feel as menacing as the original but it did not really bother me. Those sequences still did their job because of the script  and much stronger characters.  The one thing I wish was that there was a character as much fun as  PS Hoffman's Dusty.   Fooood  Foood We need sustinence. 

13 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

The one thing I wish was that there was a character as much fun as  PS Hoffman's Dusty.   Fooood  Foood We need sustinence. 

Now that you say it, the supporting crew here does feel very forced. Owens crew were all trying too hard.

Twisters 2 needs to bring back Helen Hunt and focus on hurricanes. Kick off summer 2026/2027.  Yuge. 

3 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Now that you say it, the supporting crew here does feel very forced. Owens crew were all trying too hard.

Yep like I said I love the movie but it jumped to a whole new level when they just focused on Tyler and Kate. The writing was so great there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Twisters 2 needs to bring back Helen Hunt and focus on hurricanes. Kick off summer 2026/2027.  Yuge. 

Hurricanes? Why? Should just be more twisters. Hurricanes sounds like people thinking megalodon is necessary rather than a compelling killer shark movie. It would be too comical.

Bring the action to big cities next time, increase the international appeal and keep subtly pushing the climate change issue. Chicago area does occasionally get them and they've been more common in the DC/Philadelphia area recently as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

Bring the action to big cities next time, increase the international appeal and keep subtly pushing the climate change issue. Chicago area does occasionally get them and they've been more common in the DC/Philadelphia area recently as well.

This. But, Dallas or Kansas City or Houston or Austin. Keeps Oklahoma vibe.

Yeah Dallas would be more realistic but that city isn't as instantly recognizable as the big three, doesn't have as much cinema presence.

I do think its skyline is pretty underrated though.

1 hour ago, emoviefan said:

Yep like I said I love the movie but it jumped to a whole new level when they just focused on Tyler and Kate. The writing was so great there.

Yup! As great as the film overall was, that shift in focus kicked it up from good to great and I actually like the fact that they didn't end with the kiss, romance etc., made it feel more legit in the real world aspects that way. 

An enjoyable summer popcorn feature that succeeds where it counts the most. The original Twister, despite its groundbreaking (for 1996, at least) visual effects and thrilling tornado set pieces, has never been a classic, weighed down by an underdeveloped screenplay and walking stereotype characters played by a rather superb cast delivering "here for the paycheck" quality performances. This should probably earn points for consistency that it comes with virtually the same positives and negatives as its cinematic predecessor, though this certainly has its own issues. The twisters in the original actually felt like a more ominous presence whereas here they seem to appear whenever the script needs them to. Also, this probably could've used a main human villain ala Cary Elwes in the first movie. For a while it seems like David "Superman" Corenswet will fit the bill but then he gets ditched on the side of the road before the big climax and we never see or hear from his character ever again.

All of that said, the tornado scenes are rather exciting, and Lee Isaac Chung proves himself more than capable of working on a much higher scale with massive budgets. At a time when more fantastical genres have become the face of the blockbuster movement, it's unique to see an entry in which Mother Nature is the main antagonist while at the same time acknowledging the cost of the destruction that tends to be left behind from the storms (at least compared to something like the tone-deaf Godzilla x Kong, which asked us to conveniently ignore that millions of people definitely died in the CGI chaos).

The cast probably does about as well as they can with their underwritten roles, which is as true of this movie as it was with the original. Daisy Edgar-Jones, Glen Powell, Anthony Ramos, etc...they're fine actors accomplishing what they were hired to do without stretching their talents in between having wind machines blow in their faces. Though I agree that Maura Tierney's mother character was clearly meant to be Helen Hunt and it was obvious they had to do a last minute rewrite once Hunt presumably turned them down, especially when it was initially announced a few years back that the plot for this would follow Hunt and Bill Paxton's daughter.

It won't win any awards, but it provides a good time that should be seen on the biggest screen with the best surround sound system possible.

B

Maybe they can also persuade Hunt to come back for the next one and they all chase together. That would definitely be a promotional hook, and would retroactively justify Twisters as a "canon" story.

Edited by AniNate

I enjoyed the film but the first one was better. We talk about certain sequels or reboots having too many needle drops but this one needed more. How do you make a sequel to Twister without any reference to characters or events from the first film? Where was Mark Mancina's score? How do we not have a Van Halen song blasting at some point? Also, I don't even care that much about romance in movies and I wanted a kiss at the end.  Are we back in the Hays code or something? #Releasethekisscut. 

Movie is still a blast and Glen Powell is a movie star. The movie immediately picks up whenever he is on screen. 

Edited by John Marston

Was it better than original?  No.  Was it still a good sequel? Yes.   I really liked it and it did honor the spirit of the original.  Yes the Mother scene felt like it was perfect for Helen Hunt to pop up.  I thought the tornado action was really good and spaced out well.  It came at some least expected times (The Rodeo scene).   I also like the  movie theater scene.   Glenn Powell dominated in his performance.  He was great in his role.   I also like Daisy too.  I really enjoyed the story because of the trauma Daisy went through and overcoming her fears. Really good hero's journey for her.    Overall very fun sequel.   Also yes might as well finish off the trilogy:

"TWISTER 3D"

• Like 1