Eric Deetz

Twisters (2024) Spoiler Thread

Twisters (2024)  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

LOL at the totally unnecessary random shot of Powell walking in the rain in a white tee shirt clearly made for the female audience and trailer

• Like 1

On 7/21/2024 at 9:28 AM, filmlover said:

An enjoyable summer popcorn feature that succeeds where it counts the most. The original Twister, despite its groundbreaking (for 1996, at least) visual effects and thrilling tornado set pieces, has never been a classic, weighed down by an underdeveloped screenplay and walking stereotype characters played by a rather superb cast delivering "here for the paycheck" quality performances. This should probably earn points for consistency that it comes with virtually the same positives and negatives as its cinematic predecessor, though this certainly has its own issues. The twisters in the original actually felt like a more ominous presence whereas here they seem to appear whenever the script needs them to. Also, this probably could've used a main human villain ala Cary Elwes in the first movie. For a while it seems like David "Superman" Corenswet will fit the bill but then he gets ditched on the side of the road before the big climax and we never see or hear from his character ever again.

All of that said, the tornado scenes are rather exciting, and Lee Isaac Chung proves himself more than capable of working on a much higher scale with massive budgets. At a time when more fantastical genres have become the face of the blockbuster movement, it's unique to see an entry in which Mother Nature is the main antagonist while at the same time acknowledging the cost of the destruction that tends to be left behind from the storms (at least compared to something like the tone-deaf Godzilla x Kong, which asked us to conveniently ignore that millions of people definitely died in the CGI chaos).

The cast probably does about as well as they can with their underwritten roles, which is as true of this movie as it was with the original. Daisy Edgar-Jones, Glen Powell, Anthony Ramos, etc...they're fine actors accomplishing what they were hired to do without stretching their talents in between having wind machines blow in their faces. Though I agree that Maura Tierney's mother character was clearly meant to be Helen Hunt and it was obvious they had to do a last minute rewrite once Hunt presumably turned them down, especially when it was initially announced a few years back that the plot for this would follow Hunt and Bill Paxton's daughter.

It won't win any awards, but it provides a good time that should be seen on the biggest screen with the best surround sound system possible.

B

this assessment of the first twister is actually WILD lol. who gets to decide what classics are any fucking way? the majority of people from the south and midwest consider the original to be a modern classic in just about every way.

The fact "Twisters" exploded with a whole new young cast and no returning characters actually shows how Classic the original was.  If the original wasn't liked, I doubt many would have cared this much for the sequel.   Audiences  (Like myself) remember 96 and how big "Twister" was. Only "ID4" was bigger that year.  Also the "Soundtrack" for the first film was very successful and memorable.  

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1

I blame the nostalgia critic for turning internet sentiment against the original. When he made an episode about a movie that basically meant you had social permission to hate it sight unseen. 

I'll grant he did make some good points and it was an entertaining episode, but also blew the movie's faults melodramatically out of proportion

1 hour ago, RyneOh1040 said:

this assessment of the first twister is actually WILD lol. who gets to decide what classics are any fucking way? the majority of people from the south and midwest consider the original to be a modern classic in just about every way.

I mean, I've always had a fondness for the original Twister (ever since seeing it in theaters back in the day), but I've never considered it to be a great movie outside of the disaster scenes. The weak script (and meh performances from otherwise accomplished actors) knocks points off of it for me. As far as "astonishing CGI first, compelling human characters second" tentpoles from the early/mid 90s are concerned, Jurassic Park arguably remains the crown jewel of the era.

Pretty good movie. Great cast..

But it needed some more tornados and destruction in the final act. It fell flat for me. But really like the first 3/4 of the movie..

7/10

3 hours ago, filmscholar said:

The fact "Twisters" exploded with a whole new young cast and no returning characters actually shows how Classic the original was.  If the original wasn't liked, I doubt many would have cared this much for the sequel.   Audiences  (Like myself) remember 96 and how big "Twister" was. Only "ID4" was bigger that year.  Also the "Soundtrack" for the first film was very successful and memorable.  

yep.

57 minutes ago, fmpro said:

Pretty good movie. Great cast..

But it needed some more tornados and destruction in the final act. It fell flat for me. But really like the first 3/4 of the movie..

7/10

my biggest qualm also is that the final act pales in comparisons to the original. 

28 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

my biggest qualm also is that the final act pales in comparisons to the original. 

You could really see that UNIVERSAL wanted a 155 mill $ movie. Not a 200 mill $ one

So you can blame Steven Spielberg for getting rid of the kiss. He was the one who suggested they should take it out to leave it more ambiguous. 

We definitely needed a kiss at the end of the movie. 

In short I love this movie. 

I thought Daisy Edgar Jones was absolutely fantastic. She looks like and reminds me of a young Anne hathaway.

• Like 2

I don't know why the lack of a kiss has become such a big issue here lol? Honestly, a sudden romantic connection between Daisy and Glenn would've come off as forced considering she had never heard of him until their first meeting and the fact the movie takes place over the course of a few days (Hunt and Paxton in the original at least played a previously married couple, so there was already a spark between their characters).

It's the same thing as the end of speed. If there was no kiss at the end of speed, it would have felt incomplete.

The fact that it was filmed and taken out because of one person's recommendation is why people are probably not overly happy with it. Doesn't take away from the enjoyment of the film, I loved it but at the end it would have been nice to see.

• Like 2

twisters is sold out for the rest of the WEEK in nashville at both 4dx theaters. have literally never seen that and am super pissed i didnt snag them. hearing its a riot. hoping they'll split some times with deadpool this weekend.

• Like 1

I have no issue with no kiss, but I really felt like the ending scene at the airport was building up towards a kiss and then it was just nothing, which made that scene feel kinda weird imo.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, filmlover said:

I don't know why the lack of a kiss has become such a big issue here lol? Honestly, a sudden romantic connection between Daisy and Glenn would've come off as forced considering she had never heard of him until their first meeting and the fact the movie takes place over the course of a few days (Hunt and Paxton in the original at least played a previously married couple, so there was already a spark between their characters).

Yeh it needed the kiss. 

It was focused on giving us 90s nostalgia for every other part of its production, let the characters kiss at the end. Especially when they already committed to a cliche “catch up with me at the airport” ending. 

It also needed more deaths in act 3 to up the ante/stakes. Some of Powell’s posse and superman should’ve died to increase the dangers 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

I disagree with Steven here, he was being a little grumpy, lol.  The tension and chemistry demanded a kiss.  Then when her flight got cancelled because of bad weather, you knew they went back to his place and got busy because of all the stress and life or death situation they just lived through.   I also get the cliché' aspect of it but I don't think the kiss would have hurt it at all.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

I disagree with Steven here, he was being a little grumpy, lol.  The tension and chemistry demanded a kiss.  Then when her flight got cancelled because of bad weather, you knew they went back to his place and got busy because of all the stress and life or death situation they just lived through.   I also get the cliché' aspect of it but I don't think the kiss would have hurt it at all.  

The flight cancellation was supposed to imply that they went out to chase more tornadoes (indeed that's what the credits also Imply) 

Edited by AniNate

Yeah, I didn't buy that they were about to hook up after their flights were grounded either. Would've been an example of an "only in the movies" take on relationships when the film transpires over what seems (at most) like 3-4 days and in their first encounter she immediately dismisses him as an obnoxious, zero substance YouTube personality. Although reasonable to assume after everything they went through together maybe she realizes he's not so bad after all lol.

If anything I think they sort of went in a weird between, the movie could have ended right after the feel it, chase it line and sort of imply Glen goes for it as a fun tease, or the could have just gone all the way instead of a tornado interruption. Feel like the current ending as is kinda ends up showing more than what's needed while providing no additional payoff for going longer than it needs to.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1