kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Actuals | 81.3M TWISTERS | 24.4M DESPICABLE ME IV | 12.8M INSIDE OUT II | 12.0M LONGLEGS

39 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Timothee is a big fat zero without name franchises like Dune and Willy Wonka. Dune has a great ensemble cast and based on a popular novel with a great director making these films. Willy Wonka is based on existing IP and released in Christmas. Tim has zero boxoffice draw. Put him in rom com or even twisters and you will find out his worth. 

This is baseless.

The lie that Wonka and Dune are some sort of bulletproof franchises, destined to be successful no matter who stars, is honestly laughable.  Either or both could EASILY have been massive flops with the wrong cast, especially Dune which already has a history of not being market friendly.

Not only that, those films were largely carried by Timothee as the primary lead... and having a good cast outside of the lead in no way diminishes that. Powell has carried exactly one film... and that wasn't as the solo main lead.

Edited by Wafflecakes
  • Like 2

I will say that after years and years of not making new movie stars it kind of feels like we actually have lately. Zendaya, Ortega, Powell, and Timmy feel like the four most made stars of this new generation - not counting MBJ or Lupita, who are that age but have been around forever, or Pascal, who is of this acting generation but is much older. Butler and Sweeney feel like one or two reliable hits away from being real drawing stars but also very close to getting real backlash - they're on the edge. Mescal could become that guy with the expected Gladiator II breakout but not there yet, and Quinn is obviously getting his fair share of roles too but I don't see it yet. Plenty of other people with potential but they all feel a little further off. 

One thing I do think that the newer generation of drawing stars is missing are black male leads. I know growing up between Will, Denzel, SLJ, Freeman, Foxx, Elba, Howard, and more, that was a huge segment of stars who can draw. When I think of the next ten years of superstars, I don't see that many black men besides MBJ. Granted, Chadwick was clearly gonna get there before he passed, and so was Majors before....yeah. So that thinned it out a bit. Donald Glover is sadly obsessed with TV, and Kaluuya inexplicably stopped acting after following his Oscar win with a really big original hit. Ali is older and wasted prime years on a Blade movie that isn't gonna happen. Great to see a new generation of black female leads stepping up, though.

• Like 10

one thing I do wanna add onto @Cmasterclay’s point: I think Powell could risk running into overexposure backlash. He’s had three films in the last seven months, all hits and well received, but that’s a lot at once. Plus he seems to be setting up a new movie every week, is gonna be leading a tv show soon and is apparently eyeing broadway as well. If the stuff he does is good then it might not be a problem, but I could see people going “ugh again?” with him by the time we get to the Heaven Can Wait remake (that’s a real thing btw).

I also will add that I’d like to see Yahya Abdul-Mateen II get another shot at stardom, but he seems to be focused on TV for the foreseeable future.

Edited by AMC Theaters Enjoyer
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I will say that after years and years of not making new movie stars it kind of feels like we actually have lately. Zendaya, Ortega, Powell, and Timmy feel like the four most made stars of this new generation - not counting MBJ or Lupita, who are that age but have been around forever, or Pascal, who is of this acting generation but is much older. Butler and Sweeney feel like one or two reliable hits away from being real drawing stars but also very close to getting real backlash - they're on the edge. Mescal could become that guy with the expected Gladiator II breakout but not there yet, and Quinn is obviously getting his fair share of roles too but I don't see it yet. Plenty of other people with potential but they all feel a little further off. 

The “movie star” didn’t die, it just skipped a generation. Which, and I’m not a doctor, but I’m sure isn’t uncommon.

It makes sense. The past 15 years of media culture have been dominated by either Marvel (which has at least created household names, if not old-fashioned star power beyond RDJ) and the internet.

It’s refreshing to see a new crop of actors storm onto the scene. Hopefully Daisy Edgar Jones gets her fair props from Twisters also.

10 hours ago, Assassin said:

Per PostTrak last night, 24% went to Twisters because of Powell.
https://deadline.com/2024/07/box-office-twisters-1236015127/

Of the four quads, men and women over 25 bought tickets at 38% apiece. Best grades for the movie were from the under 25 female set at 94%, however, they were the minority show at 11%.

49% female audience overall. A very healthy ratio, the romantic aspect of the movie did work to draw female moviegoers. Like I said, a movie need female audience to actually breakout and I am glad Twisters achieved this. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

One thing I do think that the newer generation of drawing stars is missing are black male leads. I know growing up between Will, Denzel, SLJ, Freeman, Foxx, Elba, Howard, and more, that was a huge segment of stars who can draw. When I think of the next ten years of superstars, I don't see that many black men besides MBJ. Granted, Chadwick was clearly gonna get there before he passed, and so was Majors before....yeah. So that thinned it out a bit. Donald Glover is sadly obsessed with TV, and Kaluuya inexplicably stopped acting after following his Oscar win with a really big original hit. Ali is older and wasted prime years on a Blade movie that isn't gonna happen. Great to see a new generation of black female leads stepping up, though.

There are many charismatic young black male actors currently who aren't getting the lead roles they should. Mason Gooding (Cuba's son) emanates star energy from everything I've seen him in, including the last two Scream movies, but they still don't cast him as a lead (even though he wouldn't have been my first choice after the shit MBJ had to go through, he fits Johnny Storm far more than Quinn). Aldis Hodge is another one who comes to mind, though currently he's booked the James Patterson character Alex Cross for OTT. Abubakar Salim from Raised by Wolves and House of the Dragon has so much warmth. Perfect for a romcom (actually all 3 of these men are), but Hollywood isn't interested 😒

You need ppl to sign you on for an Anyone But You, Hitman AND Twisters in a span of months to 'break out'. Hollywood always wants a Powell type star to exist and he's come closest to success after many failed candidates who received similar pushes in the past. Unfortunately, the industry is less invested in an MBJ/Gooding/Hodge/Salim type of leading man.

• Like 3

Just saw Twisters in Imax. It's definitely a crowd-pleasing, fun summer blockbuster with likeable characters and exciting action that's bound to have good WOM. My only personal critique is that it missed a few chances to create some laugh-out-loud moments, but nevertheless it's a good film that delivers on what it promises. Definitely recommend. 

Edited by DTP
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

The “movie star” didn’t die, it just skipped a generation. Which, and I’m not a doctor, but I’m sure isn’t uncommon.

It makes sense. The past 15 years of media culture have been dominated by either Marvel (which has at least created household names, if not old-fashioned star power beyond RDJ) and the internet.

It’s refreshing to see a new crop of actors storm onto the scene. Hopefully Daisy Edgar Jones gets her fair props from Twisters also.

Are you being serious? ScarJo had movies like Lucy gross 470M WW. JLaw had some huge hits outside of Hunger Games. Gosling and Stone were in La La Land which did enormous business. There are many other examples. Everyone they mentioned hasn't had a big box office success that wasn't a huge IP already. Chalamet (Wonka/Dune), Powell (Twisters/Top Gun), Zendaya (Spider-man), Ortega (Scream/Addams). Not say they're not stars but to say it skipped a generation is completely ridiculous. Did DiCaprio not exist in this reality?

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

Deadline going with $80m weekend and $27m Saturday

https://deadline.com/2024/07/box-office-twisters-1236015127/

Holdovers 

DM4  9.5M Saturday  23.8M.       259.4M

IO2     5.2M  Saturday.  12.6M.       596M

LL.      4.6M. Saturday.   11.7M.     44.6M

QPD1. 2.5M Saturday.   6M.        127.5M

Next weekend my thoughts 

DP&W.        189M

TWISTERS.  33M

DM4.              11M

IO2.                 7.5-8M

LL.                   6M

QPD1.             3M

• Like 2

I can see Twisters doing over $40 million next weekend.  If anything, Deadpool arriving might only help it with spillover, despite the loss of significant PLF. 

You can say different audiences, but we’ve had event films hold up just fine against $150 million plus openers before. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Holdovers 

DM4  9.5M Saturday  23.8M.       259.4M

IO2     5.2M  Saturday.  12.6M.       596M

LL.      4.6M. Saturday.   11.7M.     44.6M

QPD1. 2.5M Saturday.   6M.        127.5M

Next weekend my thoughts 

DP&W.        189M

TWISTERS.  33M

DM4.              11M

IO2.                 7.5-8M

LL.                   6M

QPD1.             3M

Don’t think the animated movies will drop that hard because Deadpool is R-rated, but other than that I agree.

11 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I can see Twisters doing over $40 million next weekend.  If anything, Deadpool arriving might only help it with spillover, despite the loss of significant PLF. 

You can say different audiences, but we’ve had event films hold up just fine against $150 million plus openers before. 

The problem with that though is the fact that Twisters is pulling in a lot more of the 18-34 demographic than expected. They are gonna be all over Deadpool and Wolverine next weekend, so that might stop it from holding better than 50%. No matter what happens, Deadpool and Wolverine will affect Twisters in some way or another.