kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Actuals | 81.3M TWISTERS | 24.4M DESPICABLE ME IV | 12.8M INSIDE OUT II | 12.0M LONGLEGS

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I thought the show started 5pm? Deadline and variety all said the Thursday preview started from 5pm.

Anyway, so twisters is the movie that got flyover states hyped in this summer after sound of freedom and TGM.

They started at 2pm here is all I know. Maybe with lower demand in LA they didn't start until later there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Excellent for Twisters! Deadline has the budget at $155m too, so maybe the rumoured $200m was before tax credits. 

Excellent for Longlegs. A Quiet Place Day One dipped -12% on Thursday, so a -7% hold is promising. 

If Longlegs manage to get a sub 50% drop (which seems possible based on THU), it can try +80M DOM 

As usual for horror, bad CS doesn’t seem to be having any impact on it

• Like 1

Twisters is not doing well outside of USA because of this main reason 

Star cast is not very recognizable. No one as the lead or supporting is known by GA outside America. They should have cast atleast one big star. Chris Pratt for example would have done wonders to this IP. 

2 minutes ago, vafrow said:

Has there been a male lead that has become a legitimate draw like this since Chris Pratt? It feels like he was the last one, and he emerged a decade ago.

It'll be interesting to see what his next moves will be. There's a lot of projects floating around Hollywood that need an A lister to anchor it to be viable.

Yeah sort of. But has Pratt ever been  legit draw on his own. The MCU and Jurassic were safe franchise bets. Outside of that  Magnificent Seven was  led by Denzel, Passengers which did get to 100 million on the back of him and J Lawr who probably carried it more. The Tomorrow War was supposed to be his star vehicle but Covid messed that up and Paramount sold it to Amazon where they dumped it. 

• Like 1

Ah yes, I wonder why the Luke Combs infused yee haw Twisters movie about wild Texans straight up America Fuck Yeahing tornadoes to death on the prairie isn't doing as well overseas.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Ah yes, I wonder why the Luke Combs infused yee haw Twisters movie about wild Texans straight up America Fuck Yeahing tornadoes to death on the prairie isn't doing as well overseas.

first Twister did well overseas 

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

first Twister did well overseas 

Check out the (awesome) original teaser for it. It was much more billed a special effects Blockbuster in the ID4 and Jurassic Park vein. These trailers were all about Glen Powell's accent, rodeos, and country music.

None of these are complaints btw I'm very very happy about this performance. I don't care about overseas numbers or budgets ever so I'm just enjoying the ride

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

This preview number is even more amazing considering a lot of that audience may have been more distracted by other things last night.

• Like 1

I believe the lack of action flick this summer is causing some starving for PG-13 action summer flick and helping Twisters here. I also wonder how much this movie skew female to prove that selling twisters as a quasi-romantic action flick tap into female moviegoers much more than expected. 

• Like 1

I'm glad to see a good movie finally find an audience. I got to see this early last weekend, and it was a blast. And unlike Fall Guy, which I also got to see early only for it to flop the next weekend, this one seems to be playing very well in America. Huge shame about the overseas performance, but not every movie is for everyone, and some movies just won't connect with overseas audiences whatsoever. There wasn't much the parties involved could've done, other than obviously moving this away from Endgame 3 next weekend. Hopefully that tornado doesn't decimate this movie, and it gets to at least $70M this weekend.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Furiosa already took the Memorial Day weekend 

Nobody expected it to be such a mega bomb though. 

its really ridiculous that Furiosa was the big Memorial Day weekend release this year and had two weeks of free reign 

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

its really ridiculous that Furiosa was the big Memorial Day weekend release this year and had two weeks of free reign 

Sadly it tells how little the GA cared about the movie. 

This may just not have been ready for a May release. The strike cut the post-production schedule pretty close. July 4 might've worked but Uni loves the spot for the Minions (and you can't really blame them), and even if this does have a harsh drop next week they're probably not gonna sweat it much

• Like 3