Eric Prime

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

As one of the most anticipated films of the year, Deadpool & Wolverine lived up to the hype garnering acclaim from critics and audiences.

I like it as well but where’s Disney seeing “hype garnering acclaim from critics” 🤣

Edited by leoh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Exceptional opening, both DOM and OS. Still probably lowballed, i think we’ll wake up tomorrow with 210M DOM / 440M WW

The billion is obviously locked, the WOM is too good. Very happy for theaters and hoping the energy keeps going for movies like Trap, Alien and others.

At the very least we'll be getting three weeks of new movies that shouldn't debut to any lower than $20M. 

This is the kind of depth that the box office has and will always need. 

• Like 1

Twisters heading for 250 domestic is fine

But clearly an August release and it would have easily done 300 plus or more

Film appeals well to the heartland states well

Also twister for a disaster movie does not have many epic destruction scenes

More epic tornado scenes and crazy chase scenes

Seems more a film made for rhe tornado chasing community be honest lol

1 minute ago, leoh said:

I like it as well but where’s Disney seeing “

hype garnering acclaim from critics” 🤣

They’re so unserious, this is just a bald-faced lie 

It is very funny tho hahah

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

At the very least we'll be getting three weeks of new movies that shouldn't debut to any lower than $20M. 

This is the kind of depth that the box office has and will always need. 

Definitely, the year is finally in a good place after such a disastrous first 5 months that relied so much on 2 or 3 titles.

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

Definitely, the year is finally in a good place after such a disastrous first 5 months that relied so much on 2 or 3 titles.

March was good and everything else was pretty much shit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Just at a 50% true weekend drop. Pretty great tbh under the circumstances

I think Universal sunday estimate of 20% drop is a bit too optimistic, may fall below 35m in actual.

Still, the holds is way better than when MI7 facing Barbiehiemer especially MI7 second weekend gross was already excluding the preview+ EA grosses. They almost never returned the IMAX back to MI7 after the Oppie's OW but I rule out that possibility here for Twisters but I do hope theaters start giving back some 4DX showtimes to twisters, that format elevate the movie more than IMAX.

Interestingly, Twister + DW is gonna gross around 240m+ this weekend, about the same as the Barbieheimer combo (245m) last year. 

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

That's why the word I used was hegemony. Obviously, I don't think Minions or Twisters are the peak of original filmmaking, but no, they do not utterly dominate the pop culture conversation and blot out the sun in the same way the MCU does and apparently still will. But good job getting tons of likes misinterpreting my post :) 

Anyway, it's a good weekend at the box office. Deadpool obviously doing amazing. Don't understand why Marvel fans will make themselves the victims even though they've thoroughly won 100 times over.

I didn't misinterpret a thing.  You've been wringing your hands almost non stop about failing theatrical but you want to continue to also complain about the MCU because it's too popular and culturally it's not the right kind cinema.   You were right about one thing, you were being too dickish - and still are.    I wasn't like farming or playing the victim but you are now.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 9
  • Knock It Off 2

21 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

It may seem unlikely, but I do see Alien: Romulus if it's really damn good and appeals to more beyond the core Alien fanbase opening on par or slightly higher than Prometheus' $51.0M. That would be awesome!

I don't see it happening, unless inflation is that bad, it'll be extremly frontloaded and Alien is one of those franchises people love to discuss on the internet, but don't like to pay to watch in theaters, space horror is notoriously not popular among general audience and all movies in the genre outside Alien franchise flopped. Prometheus had everything going for it: Ridley's grand return to sci-fi, big budget, great trailers and visuals which still hold up, all-star cast, event movie marketing, no strict connection to its franchise. Romulus is simply not that and I actually think Covenant would've done more if it was marketed as a event film like Prometheus instead of gory slasher, focusing on sadistic violence doesn't actually help to appeal to general audience outside fanbase.

Edited by TomThomas

1 hour ago, XXR & Friends said:

D&W marks the 6th MCU film to open over $200M while only 3 non-MCU films have opened over $200M. Looking forward, I don't see anything announced/dated besides Avengers Doomsday and Secret Wars that I think will reach that mark so I'm curious what the next non-MCU film to hit it will be 🤔

Beyond The Spider Verse will make a run for it

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

As one of the most anticipated films of the year, Deadpool & Wolverine lived up to the hype garnering acclaim from critics and audiences.

certified fresh on RT is acclaim these days. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

I don't see it happening, unless inflation is that bad, it'll be extremly frontloaded and Alien is one of those franchise peoole love to discuss on the internet, but don't like to pay to watch in theaters, space horror is notoriously not popular among general audience and all movies in the genre outside Alien franchise flopped. Prometheus had everything going for it: Ridley's grand return to sci-fi, big budget, great trailers and visuals which still hold up, all-star cast, event movie marketing, no strict connection to its franchise. Romulus is simply not that and I actually think Covenant would've done more if it was marketed as a event film like Prometheus instead of gory slasher, focusing on sadistic violence doesn't actually help to appeal to general audience outside fanbase.

I agree that no matter how good the film is, it will be extremely frontloaded and that Alien as a franchise does have its ceiling. 

However, I just have a feeling that this one will break out. The box office has been on a roll as of late and with Romulus looking like it's going back to the basics with this franchise (focusing a lot more on horror than action), it has a chance to crossover with both the horror crowd and the Alien fanbase. That, and it'll be the last big movie of the summer and for a few weeks until Beetlejuice Beetlejuice. 

Maybe I'm wrong and Alien is still something that cannot be turned into a sustainable franchise, but I'm pretty confident that Romulus will change that in some way.