Eric Prime

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

What do ya'll want the blockbusters to do? Intentionally make less money?

It's based on demand.

Blockbusters are routinely under allocated screens relative to what actual demand dynamics would indicate 😛 

5 hours ago, Eric Wilson said:

Just because theaters are in a precarious financial situation doesn't mean we can't be critical about what is popular or what is "keeping them afloat". Although really, in the latter case, the idea that Marvel movies being the only thing that is "saving theaters" is not only untrue, but even if it were true, is a very toxic, objectively bad thing to call out. Like...one movie series keeping an entire industry alive is a horrible thing, but a lot of Marvel fans don't seem to care, at least from my perspective. And really, if anything, it's good to be critical of stuff largely regarded as "popular" or "well-liked" to give new perspectives, even if said criticisms can be hyperbolic. These are just corporate products at the end of the day And that also implies to well-loved art films or what people consider "true cinema". They are corporate products too, so I'm not playing sides here.

Plus, if I'm going to be frank, as somebody who feels like I have to walk on eggshells whenever I say anything negative about Marvel in particular, if people were saying the same things about Transformers movies or Jurassic movies or, heaven forbid, DC movies, would you, and some of the other same folks here leap to their defense? Because while Marvel is a big target, it's not the only one, and I don't see anywhere near the same defenses for those franchises when they get targeted. Which I see here and on other social media sites. Like I think both Jurassic World and Deadpool 3 are some of the worst movies to come out in the last few years, but I feel I can dog on Jurassic World all I want and say it's an affront to cinema with nobody caring, but Deadpool is something I feel I got to treat with kid gloves, because saying it's an abomination will have people thinking I am out to get a poor, innocent $30 billion enterprise or that I'm some hater who is jealous of Feige. I don't think that's very fair.

This is the type of thing you'd paste into ChatGPT and say "can you summarize this for me"

4 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

I think that’s pretty much it, i don’t disagreed with you. I have a very strong opinion about this movies just when it comes to cultural monopoly, in US the movie is getting maybe half of the screens (which is already too much imo but ok), but where i live it gets 90%, making it impossible for the audience to even have the choice of watching something else, so it’s truly a problem that goes beyond personal feelings toward the movies themselves. But i don’t think this is what we’re discussing so let’s leave at that. 

I have seen this argument presented ad nauseum so perhaps you can help clarify a few things since you bring it up too. 

What is a movie theatre manager/owner to do? Not show a movie in a screen that will bring butts to the seat and that sweet sweet concessions money, or screen a movie that will barely get a dozen or so viewers? Would you advise a struggling theatre manager to not add another Endgame screening when all previous screenings were houseful but instead to add a screening of some indie movie which barely anyone will come to watch?

And this idea that people don't have a choice because SH movies take up a lot of screens is perplexing to me. We are 30 weeks into the year so far and SH movies have dominated 2-3 weeks at most. That's less than 10%. So presumably loads and loads of time for people to come out and watch other movies right? Well don't look at the BO figures for the year so far because you are not going to like the numbers. Heck even last year MCU movies dominated at most 7-9 weeks out of 52 and even then 2 out of 3 of those flopped. Yet that did not spur people to go watch other movies and did not help the BO to recover to pre pandemic levels. 

Of course these arguments about cultural dominance and taking too many screens never show up when it is a non MCU movie doing the dominance. Never seen you or others decrying and glooming and dooming during Barbie, or Mario brothers, or Top Gun or Avatar or any other similar blockbusters. It is only during a MCU movie that people suddenly get the itch and the desire to watch other movies.

People who use these arguments forget that a movie theatre is a business that needs to make money to stay afloat. It is not a museum run on charity that displays art pieces for the sake of art. Thank god that these business are not run by those with such views otherwise most would have gone bankrupt by now. 

So what is your grand solution to this? Should theatres run near empty screenings to satisfy a small minority of people who want to watch other movies that same weekend and go bankrupt in the process? Should these SH movies, enjoyed by millions, be banned in favour of smaller movies? Should SH movies willingly forgo revenue and only screen for a few days? 

So many people always bring up these arguments and never offer logical and tangible solutions, so here is your chance, your stage to present your ideas to those dumb theatre managers. Let's hear them!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7

A lot of vitriol being expunged over the past several pages; all irrelevant to D&W. So I just want to add my 2 cents along those lines: I’m still not over Daft Punk being snubbed for best original score for Tron: Legacy. There, I said it. Fight me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Anyway, I hope Twisters gets some 4DX screens back next weekend, I didn't get to see it in the format. Does anyone know whether that's something the theater owners wouldn't be allowed to allocate it a screening a day or something starting next weekend? It was making a lot of money on that format so maybe Universal can argue for a couple screenings a day allowed at the theater owners discretion? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

A lot of vitriol being expunged over the past several pages; all irrelevant to D&W. So I just want to add my 2 cents along those lines: I’m still not over Daft Punk being snubbed for best original score for Tron: Legacy. There, I said it. Fight me.

Let's wake that up! In the same vein Spiderverse was robbed last year for a best score nom. 

13 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I have seen this argument presented ad nauseum so perhaps you can help clarify a few things since you bring it up too. 

What is a movie theatre manager/owner to do? Not show a movie in a screen that will bring butts to the seat and that sweet sweet concessions money, or screen a movie that will barely get a dozen or so viewers? Would you advise a struggling theatre manager to not add another Endgame screening when all previous screenings were houseful but instead to add a screening of some indie movie which barely anyone will come to watch?

And this idea that people don't have a choice because SH movies take up a lot of screens is perplexing to me. We are 30 weeks into the year so far and SH movies have dominated 2-3 weeks at most. That's less than 10%. So presumably loads and loads of time for people to come out and watch other movies right? Well don't look at the BO figures for the year so far because you are not going to like the numbers. Heck even last year MCU movies dominated at most 7-9 weeks out of 52 and even then 2 out of 3 of those flopped. Yet that did not spur people to go watch other movies and did not help the BO to recover to pre pandemic levels. 

Of course these arguments about cultural dominance and taking too many screens never show up when it is a non MCU movie doing the dominance. Never seen you or others decrying and glooming and dooming during Barbie, or Mario brothers, or Top Gun or Avatar or any other similar blockbusters. It is only during a MCU movie that people suddenly get the itch and the desire to watch other movies.

People who use these arguments forget that a movie theatre is a business that needs to make money to stay afloat. It is not a museum run on charity that displays art pieces for the sake of art. Thank god that these business are not run by those with such views otherwise most would have gone bankrupt by now. 

So what is your grand solution to this? Should theatres run near empty screenings to satisfy a small minority of people who want to watch other movies that same weekend and go bankrupt in the process? Should these SH movies, enjoyed by millions, be banned in favour of smaller movies? Should SH movies willingly forgo revenue and only screen for a few days? 

So many people always bring up these arguments and never offer logical and tangible solutions, so here is your chance, your stage to present your ideas to those dumb theatre managers. Let's hear them!!

I think i was extremely respectful in all my interactions with you, and i didn’t deserve this ironic passive agressive tone all over your reply.

I didn’t call theaters managers dumb.

I watch every movie i can in theaters, small, big, from US, from other countries, from my own country. So no, i’m not biased against Marvel, i watched every single MCU movie in a movie theater, why are you painting me as a hater for daring to disagreed with you? 

I could answer all of this, because in my country the theatrical space is very different than on US and it’s literally forged out of imperialism and governamental laws that did harmed our own production to favor Hollywood quota in our screens. But honestly i don’t think i want to spend more time worrying about making a point and be respectful only to get another ironic and bad faith reply.

It’s actually quite funny of you as a moderator to complain so much about other people behavior and proceed to write this with the exact same attitude you was criticizing.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

They really should, and the movie is good too. I need to find a way to turn it into a cult classic.

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

They really should, and the movie is good too. I need to find a way to turn it into a cult classic.

Here’s how you start getting peeps back on board: The next film in the franchise stars Jare-

oh

nvm

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Nom? the f’n WIN. Pemberton aced it.

100% agree. I know people were all making news about Barbie not getting nom X Y and Z, and I was in my corner fuming for a week about Pemberton getting no love. I really want it for him for Beyond when it comes out. We gotta get him something. 

1 minute ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Here’s how you start getting peeps back on board: The next film in the franchise stars Jare-

oh

nvm

Insane that Disney saw Kosinski thriving with Top Gun and proceed to make another Tron with … the director of Maleficent 2? Stupid ass studio

2 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I think Legacy has basically certified its cult status, particularly if the backlash to Tron: Ares being the complete opposite of everything Legacy was is any indication. 

I’ll be so sad when it looks generic considering Legacy is such a delight visually.

But this a good point, an awful Tron with Jared Leto will guarantee people to look at Legacy with more love.