kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [Aug 02 - Aug 04, 2024] | Actuals | 96.81M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 22.80M TWISTERS | 15.45M TRAP

Deadpool/Wolverine scoring a $100M+ second would set us up for a very solid August with breakouts from It Ends with Us and Alien also looking very likely at this point. Should make up for the "dumpy" product that's making up the rest of the month's slate otherwise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Once again, harmful goal posts rhetoric. NHW is regarded as one of the best MCU films ever. And rightfully so.

Apart from an exceptional final couple of minutes, the film is a slog.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Same beats, better script? Still a B+. I didn't want Strange and Chavez vs. Wanda. I wanted A Multiversal chase after Baron Mordo!

I mean the key to being a better script would be not having the same beats 😛 

Free Guy 

The Proposal

The Hitmans Bodyguard 

Safe House

The Amityville Horror 

Those were all hit movies. They might not have been monster hits but they're still hits.

• Like 3

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

If madvocate said so I’m not sure why are we even discussing. I’ve seen the errors of my ways now. :sadfleck:

Ok here are things that don't make sense

• They mess up the spell because they didn't stop in their tracks for five minutes to discuss how it would work. 
  • Peter brings a bunch of dangerous supervillains into Happy's house, so he ends up getting his Aunt killed because he's dumb.
  • Doctor Strange should have easily stopped Peter from stealing the box. 
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

They absolutely fumbled Wanda who was the biggest draw of the movie. Chavez wasn’t handled great either, nor was the multiverse. Fake cameo rumors didn’t help but it could have gotten an A anyway with a strong script

She does chase them as a freakish version of Terminator which is so much better than whatever else people expected tho

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

She does chase them as a freakish version of Terminator which is so much better than whatever else people expected tho

She has some badass moments but that’s not exactly a good trade for the character assassination. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Honestly as somebody who really likes DS2, I understand the criticisms that yes Wanda's characterization doesn't work, but I don't really mind it tbh. The entire movie is just a fun thrill ride imo

Killing the Illuminati was bad-ass

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Also, I'm going to go out on a limb and say having the second lead in the film be a literal teenage girl didn't help. Even Tom Holland was 19 by the time he was in Civil War. 

Xochitl Gomez was barely 16 when the film came out.

Multiverse of Madness is flawed as fuck, it’s a B movie through and through. That’s still a Sam Raimi’s B movie though, something I can’t say about any of the Raimi’s Spider-Man films. I think the biggest issue is that it’s half measure. It should have gone full ham horror. I’m opposed to making most superhero films Rated R, but I do think that it should have leaned more on that. 

• Like 2

Script for MOM isn’t any worse than 80% of the MCU lol 

The problem with it is simply one: it refuses to do what everyone wanted from it. It would be a problem with any movie in a franchise that usually does what the fans want, but especially one allegedly responsible for actually start the multiverse thing after NWH open the door.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

• They mess up the spell because they didn't stop in their tracks for five minutes to discuss how it would work. 
  • Peter brings a bunch of dangerous supervillains into Happy's house, so he ends up getting his Aunt killed because he's dumb.

I can pick apart literally any beloved blockbuster film into oblivion. ANY OF THEM. ALL OF THEM.

The ones I love from the ones I do not. That’s not the gotcha that you think it is.

Just to counter the frankly baffling ‘Deadpool & Wolverine is the greatest movie of all time’ madness that’s dominating the thread from some - there are some of us that really didn’t think it was all that. 

Like really. I can’t even imagine watching it again anytime soon. It was fine. 

I know I’m not alone, and I really don’t need people telling me I’m wrong either as it’s all about opinions, which I respect.

I’m loving that it’s doing so well, but its performance and timing in terms of the sort of film it is, is what’s caused it to go gonzo at the box office. 

Throwing shade at NWH like it pales in comparison to this Deadpool movie - this is getting out of hand! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Honestly as somebody who really likes DS2, I understand the criticisms that yes Wanda's characterization doesn't work, but I don't really mind it tbh. The entire movie is just a fun thrill ride imo

Killing the Illuminati was bad-ass

Yeah i really don’t care. I kinda liked WandaVision for what it is, but i was quite relieved that the movie didn’t try to make a serious trauma drama out of her. 

She could’ve use a bit more development, but overall i found the tone very fitting for a comic adaptation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Every CBM can be nitpicked to death.

So if it's fine for NWH to not make sense because "Every CBM can be nitpicked to death" then why isn't it fine for Multiverse of Madness? For thing that doesn't make sense in MoM you can name something that doesn't make sense in NWH

Edited by HummingLemon496

12 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

To be fair, points 1 & 3 are clearly tied into the film awkwardly having to pivot to being released before DS2 instead of after it. For example, the finale is very clearly "the universe is imploding" but that's a plot point reserved for DS2 so it gets adr'd as "everyone who knows peter parker's name is coming to get him." That probably impacts how strange is sidelined, ned replacing america chavez obviously has knockon impacts, etc. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

2 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

To be fair, points 1 & 3 are clearly tied into the film awkwardly having to pivot to being released before DS2 instead of after it. 

Do we know what the original plan was? How was the film going to be different had it followed DS2 rather than preceded it?